Resale?

brown67

TDI
none
Thinking about taking the plunge and buying a new passat tdi manual, but I'm wondering about resale. I've been online and any vw tdi seems to hold its value pretty well, but if I drop 28k to 29k on a car what do you think its value will be in 3yrs and 5yrs?

I live in in a small town near Ft Collins, CO. Commute about 22 miles each way to work, so I'm thinking I would put on about 15k miles a year max on it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm sure it will hold its value very well, although nobody knows for sure because we're only in the second model year. :p

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
No way to tell, especially with newer models of anything -- which the Passat is.

Get what you want and enjoy it. At resale time you'll either be happy or sad or somewhere in-between. Most folks who buy/own "family cars" (which the Passat is) find themselves in between.

TD Einspritzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
It will certainly hold its value better than most gas models out there. Was looking at 2005 tdi's before and amazing how expensive they still were with lots of miles on them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Resale on the tdi will be dependent on the price of fuel and the number of other diesel offerings that are out there at the time of resale. If gas is high, then resale will be better. If gas is low, well then it's may be the other way around.

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I bought my 2012 Passat because the sticker on a used Jetta TDI wagon I went to the dealer to look at that had 27K miles on it was only $2K less than a new (and larger) Passat on the sticker price. The Passat had 6 miles on it, and I could get the VW 1.9% financing on the new model.

No one can say for sure what resale be when you decide to sell, but currently used TDIs seem to sell at somewhat of a premium. Maybe fuel prices will go down in the future... ;)

TommyGunz

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 TDI SEL
I bought my 2012 Passat because the sticker on a used Jetta TDI wagon I went to the dealer to look at that had 27K miles on it was only $2K less than a new (and larger) Passat on the sticker price. The Passat had 6 miles on it, and I could get the VW 1.9% financing on the new model.

No one can say for sure what resale be when you decide to sell, but currently used TDIs seem to sell at somewhat of a premium. Maybe fuel prices will go down in the future... ;)
I saw the same up here in VT. The very limited used stock was catching a high premium.
Every Passat TDI SEL that has come into this dealer has been sold before it has reached the lot. I chose to keep the tradition alive. Now, if that train it is on would only hurry up and get here.

I don't buy cars for resale value, but it is a good question. I think the larger appeal that holds more value to me than the money, is the speed at which it could be sold. These are in high demand and will continue to be in the future as we trend toward higher and higher mpg. I think this will continue to be one of the sportiest 50mpg used cars out there if you ever choose to sell one.