fuel pressure to injector pump

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
My Passat has been lurching and sometimes quitting lately and I've noticed the clear supply line to the injector pump from the fuel tank is not full when it's running-almost looks like air in it but most likely a weak stream. Is that normal for a 96 and what pressure should the supply pump be delivering at the injector pump? Is there a port on the injector pump that I can check supply pressure? Filter is new.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Is the thermostatic T yellowed and old? If so, it's also probably crackjed and in need of replacement. Don't worry too much about the o-rings on the filter. They are new, every time you change the filter.

Tony

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Your Passat does not have an external fuel pump. Your injection pump has a vane pump inside that sucks the fuel from the tank so everything before the IP is under vacuum. You have an air leak somewhere. Most commom spot is the thermo-tee in the fuel filter.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'll check that out.thanks.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That tee is black but i don't see any leakage unless it just leaks air in under vacuum. It has the permanent clamps so should I just replace it or better still bypass it since the 5th injector has been eliminated?. Wouldn't an air leak anywhere outside the tank leak fuel out and at least show a wet spot?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll go ahead and replace it. Where is the best place to buy one? Are all years the same? What is the best location to vacuum the air out of all the lines and the IP? I hope the IP isn't damaged.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
IP life is hard to measure. Generally if you are getting IP related codes, particularly for the QA, it likely need to be replaced. But, that's after trying a LOT of troubleshooting.

For the thermostatic T, try the following:
idparts.com
worldimpex.com
1stvwparts.com
metalmanparts.com

Tony

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I got my thermo-T from Idparts and a bosch fuel filter from another vendor. When was fuel filter last changed? GL

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Filter is new. Corey doesn't show in his IDPARTS catalog but I'll call him

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
There are different thermostatic "T's" for different fuel filters. I had a crack on mine once and had to replace it...about $25 from World Impex. Just give your vendor the fuel filter part number as well as the year, model, vin and build date of your car to get it all matched up....never assume the right filter or "T" is in there already!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for all the help. A simple tightening of all the worm gear clamps stopped the air leak. Now back to my limp mode issues...