A3 intermittent limp mode

rampage

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Every once in a while my '98 jetta will go into limp mode. Going down the highway it will barely go 80, and it will lose speed going up hills. Then when you drive it next time everything is fine. This seems to happen about 1 out of every 10 or 20 times that I drive it.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
rampage,

I just went through this over the period of a couple of months and was frustrating.

First, have you done any troubleshooting on your own? If not here' the things I checked in order to trouble shoot the issue.

1. Are you getting a check engine light on? Find someone who has a VAG-COM and scan for any issues.
2. Have you replaced your fuel filter lately?
3. Disconnect your MAF and see if there is a return of the power.
4. Check your vacuum lines with a vacuum tester. I got one at Harbor Freight fairly inexpensive. When your testing the vacuum your check for leaks, or course, and the operation of the VNT which I believe controls the turbo waste gate. You'll want to listen for a sound indicating it's working.

Here's the link to the post I had and with all the great help I got from folks:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=203155

In the end seems like I had a shop do some work to fix it due to lack of time and my being stranded on the highway. Hope this doesn't happen to you.

Good Luck!

VegBug

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Even if you don't get a check engine light, have someone scan it with vag-com. vag-com can read codes that won't set a CE/MIL light.

If it's intermittent, really start paying attention to the car & when it does go to limp mode. If you can, duplicate the same set of circumstances. Once you can duplicate, you'll want to have someone with vag-com go for a ride with you to log boost and MAF while driving.

Tony