Engine turns over strong, but won’t start.

direwuf

TDI
‘00 Jetta
Been reading up on this one here and it looks grim.

The problem first popped up about a month ago. I pulled up to a curb and parked in front of a friend’s house, came back out 2 minutes later and it turned over fine, but wouldn’t start. Tried a few times, then waited a minute or so and tried again and it started normally. No further issues. About a week ago it happened again, same exact scenario, same exact house. I have no idea if that’s coincidental or what, but this time I had to give it about 3 minutes between attempts to get it to work, after that no issues until today. Turns over, but will not start. This time the engine is cold, both those other times the engine was hot. The car is parked on a slight grade with the drivers side elevated maybe 3 inches higher than the passenger side, inside a parking garage. Not sure if that’s a factor. Fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago, timing belt was done at the same time by a trusted VW mechanic. Any ideas where to go from here as far as diagnosis and repairs? Any advice helps.

direwuf

TDI
‘00 Jetta
Little more info. Battery is good, I don’t think that’s the issue. I don’t smell diesel under the hood and I’m not seeing any leaks underneath. No check engine light. Weather here has been plenty warm with some rain. I don’t have a trusted mechanic here in VA, the work I had done previously was in Utah. So if anyone knows or can recommend anyone out here, I’d be appreciative. Just hoping this cars not toast, not sure I can afford a costly fix here.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's quite simple. That house is haunted.
Just kidding :) when you do initial key on, does your immobilizer light turn on? Or is just the check engine light, and all the other usual stuff? The immo light should do a self test when key on before you try to crank.
If it does not, chances are your 109 relay is toast.

direwuf

TDI
‘00 Jetta
Haha. I appreciate the light attitude, I was feeling pretty heavy about this. The immobilizer light does come on and it looks like it does it’s self check. Big update here though is that we pushed it out, rolled it down onto a level surface and it started up immediately. I don’t know what to make of that though, whether the level surface really had anything to do with it or not. It’s running smoothly, there’s no indications I can see or hear of a problem with the engine. Could the slight incline affect fuel pressure or compression? I read one post that diagnosed it as an issue with the camshaft and that scared the hell out of me. I have had to replace the glow plug harness twice in just a few years, but that issue was accompanied by a cel, this one seems to be elusive.

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
The 109's can be tricky when they go intermittent.
If it was a fueling issue (loss of prime, etc) it wouldn't just crack right off from being level- there would be a bit of cranking to reprime.

direwuf

TDI
‘00 Jetta
Going to be looking at the relay and paying more attention to the immobilizer light. I’ll update if anything else comes out of this. Thank you for the insight.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Key switch? Starter? If the dash lights up maybe try push starting.

Edit: Never mind. Reading comprehension fail.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Next time your at the same house, when you come out look at the clear fuel line that goes from the fuel filter to the injector pump.

At the high point you should have an air bubble maybe 1 inch long.

If it's much more or no bubble at all (no fuel in the line) then you have an air leak somewhere.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Also get a bunch of salt, and sprinkle it around the car. You know. To keep bad spirits out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
We assume the car is the 00 in your signature? How many miles? Last time fuel filter was changed? Does the glow plug light come on when you glow the car? Any other recent issues or work done?

The early alh cars 99.5 to about 02 had a somewhat faulty 109 relay. Black in color with a big 109 printed on top. They were superseded by a grey relay with 109 printed on the top. The black ones were problematic the grey replacements seem to be ok.

The 109 is located above your feet under the dash, in the relay panel. It sits directly on top of the largest relay in the panel, the 377 wiper relay. Removing the 377 allows much easier access to the 109.

The telltale sign of a bad 109 is no glow plug light.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Should have added to check if the anti shutter valve is open.
It's where the big black boost tube exits into the EGR valve.

If the valve is dirty inside the flap sticks closed the last time you stopped the engine.
When it doesn't start pop the hood, easily open it (to catch it) and touch the linkage that's attached to it.

I was towed the 1st time it happened to me and the car started right up after it was back on the ground.

Did the car seem to flutter then spin fast?

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Could also be worth checking the crank/rpm sensor and wiring on the engine near the transmission. I had a car that the plug for this sensor wasn't quite plugged in all the way and it would turn over but never fire. Plugged it in and it fired right up. Not saying yours is the plug, but if the wiring or sensor is bad it could be intermittent.

direwuf

TDI
‘00 Jetta
Replaced relay 109, positive results, but on the chance that I wasn’t the last bloke on the planet who was driving around in their 2000s tdi and didn’t know about the relay 109 yet. Maybe this can benefit them.

Glow plug dash did not light up whenever it wouldn’t start, but it was there the few times during this episode when it did start. Other than the good turnover, no start condition there were no other symptoms or abnormalities to report. Went straight for the relay 109 because it was the simplest fix and also an extremely likely culprit given my symptoms. Picked up a pair at $7 apiece at my local parts store. Made by Meyle products this new one came in black and was not printed with “109”. I say that because a lot of the relay 109 threads are a few years old now and describe the new one as gray, but there’s new black ones being made that work too. All the specs and numbers matched and the manufacture date is 1/18. Got the second one safely stowed in my glovebox now. Replacement process is fast. Disconnect battery, remove trim under steering wheel with torx bit, reach under to access relay, swap relays, reverse steps, start car, feel great.

I can’t say enough how much I appreciate this forum, lot of knowledge here. Thanks. I’m also investing in that salt, 40lbs in my trunk for sprinkling around my car every time I park somewhere strange to keep the spirits away. Together, with my monthly smudge stick cleansings, I’ll have a significant spectral defense system going forward.