Out of warrenty maintenance question

tkende01

TDI
2011 VW Golf (5-door)
Hey there, simple question.
I have a 2011 Golf TDI in need of a simple oil change maintenance (and all that comes with that.
Are there any other locations, other than VW dealerships, where I could get this service. In the Burlington, Ontario area.

Having had service over the years at three different dealerships, I am not at all happy.

Thanks in advance.
Tim.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
If you take it somewhere other than a VW dealership, buy your own Filters and Oil. Relying on the oil change places to have the right oil is a fools bet.

TDI's require a very narrow range of VW approved 10w-30 oil that meet the proper 507.00 designation. Turbochargers can run at temperatures between 800 and 1000 degrees, and the wrong oil will prove catastrophic to the turbo unit. Imagine when you shut down an engine, and your turbo is 800 degrees, that oil doesn't flow.It just sits there until everything cools down.

IDparts has pre-made "Scheduled maintenance service kits" for every mileage level where service is required. (10k gives oil, oil filter. 20 k gives oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and AC cabin filter. 80k gives DSG fluid/filters as well as the 20k kit). This makes it easy. You can select your favorite brand of oil, upgrade from a standard paper cabin AC filter to a charcoal filter that you'll never see at a dealership, and even get an oil pan plug with a magnet to help take the metal shavings out of suspension,

Buy a kit when you need an oil change. Throw it in your car and take it to the mechanic of your choice. Make sure they change the O-rings that come with the oil filter. Make sure they replace the copper washer on the oil drain plug. (it provides a great seal because it's malleable) Also- keep up with the scheduled maintenance chart VW made for your car in your owners manual. DSG service is critical every 40k, and failing to do a timing belt change in time (100-130k miles) will result in your pistons crushing your valves.

If you're looking for a cheap oil change with a turbo charged car- sell your car. Turbo chargers get INCREDIBLY hot, and conventional oil just leaves cooked residue in the turbo oil ports, and the turbo will fail. The 507.00 approved oils are exactly what the VW engineers determined is best for your car. Use it.

It may be a bit more, but keep in mind you're only changing it every 10,000 miles/ 16,000 km. Go to ID parts- Load in your vehicle information, and you'll be given a choice of what fits your vehicle exactly.

Again- go to www.IDparts.com

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Find a local mechanic that you can get to know and learn to trust. Talk to him about servicing VW tdis. Be specific about what you want. It might be easier for him to order the kits from ID Parts since it would be a business to business import transaction.

I've talked to several independent mechanics around me and feel I've got one that will do a better and cheaper job than the dealers. He's already quoted me about $50 less for my 10k service on my 17 Ram diesel. That thing takes 11 liters of rotella T6.

Last edited:

tkende01

TDI
2011 VW Golf (5-door)
If you take it somewhere other than a VW dealership, buy your own Filters and Oil. Relying on the oil change places to have the right oil is a fools bet.

TDI's require a very narrow range of VW approved 10w-30 oil that meet the proper 507.00 designation. Turbochargers can run at temperatures between 800 and 1000 degrees, and the wrong oil will prove catastrophic to the turbo unit. Imagine when you shut down an engine, and your turbo is 800 degrees, that oil doesn't flow.It just sits there until everything cools down.

IDparts has pre-made "Scheduled maintenance service kits" for every mileage level where service is required. (10k gives oil, oil filter. 20 k gives oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and AC cabin filter. 80k gives DSG fluid/filters as well as the 20k kit). This makes it easy. You can select your favorite brand of oil, upgrade from a standard paper cabin AC filter to a charcoal filter that you'll never see at a dealership, and even get an oil pan plug with a magnet to help take the metal shavings out of suspension,

Buy a kit when you need an oil change. Throw it in your car and take it to the mechanic of your choice. Make sure they change the O-rings that come with the oil filter. Make sure they replace the copper washer on the oil drain plug. (it provides a great seal because it's malleable) Also- keep up with the scheduled maintenance chart VW made for your car in your owners manual. DSG service is critical every 40k, and failing to do a timing belt change in time (100-130k miles) will result in your pistons crushing your valves.

If you're looking for a cheap oil change with a turbo charged car- sell your car. Turbo chargers get INCREDIBLY hot, and conventional oil just leaves cooked residue in the turbo oil ports, and the turbo will fail. The 507.00 approved oils are exactly what the VW engineers determined is best for your car. Use it.

It may be a bit more, but keep in mind you're only changing it every 10,000 miles/ 16,000 km. Go to ID parts- Load in your vehicle information, and you'll be given a choice of what fits your vehicle exactly.

Again- go to www.IDparts.com
This is an amazing response. Thank you VERY much.

tkende01

TDI
2011 VW Golf (5-door)
Find a local mechanic that you can get to know and learn to trust. Talk to him about servicing VW tdis. Be specific about what you want. It might be easier for him to order the kits from ID Parts since it would be a business to business import transaction.

I've talked to several independent mechanics around me and feel I've got one that will do a better and cheaper job than the dealers. He's already quoted me about $50 less for my 10k service on my 17 Ram diesel. That thing takes 11 liters of rotella T6.
Thanks! I'll see if I can find a mechanic who will take the time to chat about this.