Concept Car: VW unveils Diesel Electric Hybrid Twin-Up!

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
According to Automotive News Europe VW is going to unveil a Diesel-Electric at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show.

The name of the vehicle is the VW Twin-UP!, and is reported to have a 214 MPG design rating using the US Driving Cycle.

more.....
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/08/vw-diesel-electric-twin-up-tokyo/

Maybe we can shoehorn a 2 cylinder TDI into a SUV like the '95-99 RAV4:eek:

-R

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
This could be very awesome! Couldn't see if it'll be a conventional hybrid like a Prius or Jetta hybrid, or an electric car with a diesel generator.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Nope - we won't get any version at all.... too RISKY to try to sell a really good design in the USA.

texcross

TDI
Jetta
I agree, There is no way in the near future this will sell in the US. Too many other interests here that would not allow this to happen unfortunately. Nice concept though...

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Diesel-Electric, a MINI-LOCOMOTIVE, how serendipitous!!!!!!

Might as well use a small centrifugal gas turbine as the generator, and save a few bucks on moving parts.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Diesel-Electric, a MINI-LOCOMOTIVE, how serendipitous!!!!!!

Might as well use a small centrifugal gas turbine as the generator, and save a few bucks on moving parts.
What kind of thermal efficiency can you get out of a little turboshaft engine, especially if it is run at one spot on the performance map? I know it won't be that great, but for a EV range extender the weight savings and only occasional use it might fit the bill.

I know it can be improved with heat recouperation, interstage cooling, rankine heat recovery, etc, but all those add complexity and weight and cost.

I looked at APU's for guidance, but those are generally way bigger than what a range extender would be. And I know the smaller the machine, the bigger the flow losses are.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Ski in NC, Jaguar recently did a concept supercar just that way, electric propulsion and twin turbines powering generators as range extenders. "gas" turbines is a bit of a misnomer, as turbines can run on kerosene or diesel or any number of petroleum distillates.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
The co-founder of Tesla was in Montana awhile back talking to the electric power coops that supply electricity to much of rural Montana. He said that they're working on a "more practical" electric car that will travel 200 miles at highway speeds. That would mean that from where I live I couldn't drive to the two nearest cities of any size and return l without a recharge. Whoopee.

He also complained that environmental restrictions inhibited the mining and refining of lithium in this country, and kept us from making our own electric/hybrid batteries. Interesting attitude from a supposed environmentalist who likely hates oil wells and coal mines.

That being said a small diesel hybrid would be far more satisfactory and fuel efficient than a small gas hybrid IMHO.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I thought the current Teslas could already do 200+ miles on a charge.
And thats with "efficient driving" - I don't think it is a real 200 miles until it can be guaranteed - traffic, 100 degrees, a/c on etc.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I like the overall concept but since VWAG won't consider the current versions of the Up for sale in North America, there is no way that we will ever see the hybrid version.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
It would sell. People currently buy the little cars like smart, fit, sonix, yaris.

Plus it would bring bragging rights and brand recognition.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have no doubt that it would sell, I'd even consider one, but VWAG has to be convinced that it would sell in North America in enough quantity to make a profit after coving the costs of the emissions approval.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Another benefit would be CAFE credits. Such high mpg cars are needed to offset those land yacht 12mpg SUVs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another benefit would be CAFE credits. Such high mpg cars are needed to offset those land yacht 12mpg SUVs.
In that case, VWOA doesn't need it. The Toureg is listed at 17 city and 23 highway for the v6