Hanging Skid Plate? Belly Pan? Need Panzer Plate?

chootie unit

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
This newbie has only driven his Jetta TDI for a week now. First thing I noticed was scraping when going over speed bumps. Inspecting the undercarriage, I noticed the large plastic skid plate/belly pan (?) that is hanging on by zip-ties (!?!?!?).

Looking through the wealth of knowledge here on tdiclub, I notice the trend of purchasing "Panzer Plates". My question, is this large plastic totally replaced by the Panzer Plate? (it looks to be much smaller) And, depending on answers, will I have to replace anything else when removing the hanging plastic cover?

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
The sound deadning platic pan is replaced by the panzer plate. However, you would want to keep the side skits. This being my second TDI, both had lost both the pan and the side skirts.

chootie unit

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks. That ECS Tuning one looks nice. The aluminum Panzer Plate is probably a bit lighter for the same price. Gotta factor shipping to Hawaii as well, so weight will be important...

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Diesel Geek makes one with optional metal sides I beleive they call "full metal jacket".

I installed my skip plate, then I'd guess 6 years later when they started making the metal sides I bought them too.

This way you NEVER have to worry about plastic under the front of the car again. I don' think you actuall need the metal sides, but they are a large improvement over the crappy plastic ones. Engine may make a little more noise though.

But just "get a skid plate". Any brand is much better than nothing.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
if there are dealers on the islands you might check with them, VW did make a factory steel plate along with mounting hardware, all separate part nos. Should have come standard on these cars

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If your sides are bad I would go with the full metal jacket. My belt side cover was toast. Yes all of the MKIV belly pans that are metal replace the plastic. The MKV and latter covers the plastic and you need to keep the plastic on those models.

TDIROOFER

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, Auto, 157k....2002 Ford F-250, 7.3l, 4x4, Crew Cab, Lariat, 186k
I just took my "new" one week old 2004 jetta wagon tdi to robby at runonbeer.com down here in Austin and we looked underneath my car to give it a once over. My belt side plastic side was torn off its bolts. Robby said this always happens and pointed to the shiny diesel geek panzer plate hanging on his wall. He also had the metal side rail. Both looked bullet proof and seem to be a huge upgrade in undercarriage protection.

chootie unit

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
If only I had a Guru in my area. Anyone familiar with TDIclub members in the Honolulu area? I'm trying to build up my network. Thanks for all the input, gonna look into options for a solid skid plate. Just hoping shipping to Honolulu doesn't kill me.

chootie unit

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So, 3 months later and my plastic Belly Pan finally was hanging by its last thread(zip-tie). I had to go ahead and cut it off mid-trip over the weekend as the front end of it was now sagging and catching all kinds of debris. Now I've been driving with no Belly Pan. Without being too critical (as I know I should've ordered a Panzer Plate by now), how bad is it to drive with nothing under there? Honestly, I feel naked driving around...