How To: Aftermarket Clear Fuel Lines

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Use at your own risk…I have no idea of your mechanical ability or inability.

This procedure involves working with diesel fuel and fuel lines. If you are unsure about ANY of these instructions, or the inherent safety risks or concerns, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION.

I can’t say it enough: If you are unsure about ANY of these instructions, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION.

I am only sharing my experience and trying to help others. I installed this mod 2 years ago, when I bought the car and found the OEM lines to be colored brown as mud. I had read some posts about using motorcycle fuel line and others about using Oetiker clamps. I simply put all that together.

Tools:
1)Utility knife or diagonal cutters
2)Slip Joint Pliers or Needle nose pliers
3)Hose clamp Pinch Pliers (McMaster PN 6541K67)
4)Mity-vac, and associated tools, if replacing the fuel filter

Materials:
1)Fuel line; Obtain from a local off-road type motorcycle shop – they stock several sizes and colors.
a.5/16” ID Clear motorcycle fuel line for the IP supply
b.¼” ID Clear motorcycle fuel line for the IP return
2)Oetiker Gap-Free Clamps
a.13.5mm (McMaster PN 52545K51 PK/25)
b.10mm (McMaster PN 52545K27 PK/25)
3)Siamese Hose Clips
a.McMaster PN 7429K44 PK/10

Procedure
1)If you have the OEM spring clips, use pliers to remove the old hose clamps from the injection pump and fuel filter
2)If you have the worm gear clamps, use a screwdriver to remove the old hose clamps from the injection pump and fuel filter
a.Photo coutesy of Jetter Sprinta

3)Remove OEM fuel lines from the filter and injection pump
4)Cut new fuel lines to a comfortable length. Note that the supply and return lines will be different lengths.
a.¼” diameter line for return;
b.5/16” diameter for supply
c. Ignore the CTS references...I was lazy and used an old pic.

5)Place a 13.5mm clamp onto each end of the 5/16” hose; do not crimp
6)Place a 10mm clamp onto each end of the 1/4” hose; do not crimp
7)Install the new 5/16” hose onto large fittings on the IP and fuel filter.
a.The fuel line and crimp clamp must be beyond the barb, as shown.

8)Install the new 1/4” hose onto small fittings on the IP and fuel filter
a.The fuel line and crimp clamp must be beyond the barb, as shown above.

9)If you are replacing the fuel filter, do so at this point.
a.Once the filter is replaced, crimp hose clamps, just behind barb, as shown. There should be a small gap as shown above.

b.Fill the filter with power service (white bottle for winter / gray for summer) to prime the filter through the opening of the thermostatic T
c.If necessary, remove the return line from the filter to the tank.
i.Connect the mity vac and separation cup to the fuel filter return to the tank.
ii.Vacuum fuel through the filter & IP until there is a steady flow of fuel into the clear fuel lines, and into the separation cup.
10)If the fuel filter was not replaced, crimp the fuel lines on the fuel filter and IP.
11)Install the Siamese hose clips. I’ve found that 3 are all that’s needed.

12)Start engine. Inspect all connections for leaks; check clear lines for bubbles. Correct all leaks.
a.Note that you may have a moderate amount of bubbles in the supply and return lines until the engine runs for a few minutes and any air in the system is purged.

b.If the engine stalls, check clear lines for large amounts of air.
i.[FONT=&quot] If the engine won't restart, [/FONT]return to step 9C and use a mity vac to re-prime the fuel filter and IP. Also, you may need to loosen the injector nuts to bleed off the accumulated air. If needed, wrap a rag around the loosened nut(s) to capture squirting fuel. Crank the engine until the rag(s) are slightly damp with fuel. Tighten injector nuts. Try starting the car.

Cost
1.OEM fuel line: ~$120
2.Total cost for 1st aftermarket clear fuel line: ~$60
3.Cost of replacing the fuel filter: $1.36 + cost of fuel filter
4.Cost of replacing the fuel lines, next time: $20

FYI’s:
1.Again, this is for experienced DIY or mechanical people. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE MECHANICAL ABILITY DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION.
2.If you see a fuel leak, fix it immediately
3.Depending on how you route your fuel lines, you may need to replace them more frequently.
4.If you see air bubbles in the return line with the engine off, wiggle the thermostatic T a little and the clear lines on the T; if you see more bubbles, the T or the associated O-ring likely needs to be replaced, or the pinch clamps may need to be tightened or replaced.
5.If you see bubbles in the large fuel line, try wiggling the either end of the fuel line. If bubbles appear, the pinch clamp may need to be tightened a little or replaced.
6.Make sure you order the gap-free clamps. Non-gap-free clamps are cheaper, but won’t seal at the pinch and you will still get a LOT of air bubbles. Do you really need to ask me how I know?!

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
I need to replace the rubber fuel lines under the hood and I think I will replace the small sections at the tank (if any) to a bio compatible material, I'm thinking clear nylon.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
phatcyclist said:
I need to replace the rubber fuel lines under the hood and I think I will replace the small sections at the tank (if any) to a bio compatible material, I'm thinking clear nylon.
The fuel lines at the tank end are as far as I'm aware permatently fixed to the hard line. :(

DieselFahrer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi wagon
G60ING said:
The fuel lines at the tank end are as far as I'm aware permatently fixed to the hard line. :(

On some cars ( e.g. an all-original 1997 B4 Passat TDi sedan I helped strip last week ) the flexible "rubber" fuel lines which meet the fittings at the fuel tank are attached to the plastic lines with the ( one-time-use ) German crimp-type hose clamps. It would in such a case be possible to replace the flexible lines by using new clamps, but of course it's essential to be sure the new fuel lines and clamps achieve a good seal in order to avoid air entering the fuel lines and causing possible running or starting problems.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the newer mk3 tdis have something more permanent.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
G60ING said:
the newer mk3 tdis have something more permanent.
Unfortunate, I have a 98.

Are they crimped on like some of the lines under the hood? I have no qualms about lightly releasing those metal crimps with a Dremmel tool if it means not having fuel leaks later on.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no crimps.

The rubber hose is attached to the hard plastic in the same manner as to how the clear plastic tube is connected to the rubber hose in the top picture.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
phatcyclist, if you look at mcmaster wrt the PN's I gave you, that will get you into the ballpark for other sizes of the gapless clamps.

I'm not sure about using a dremel - any sparks from grinding might ignite fuel, or if you slip, you could gouge the fuel line, damaging it beyond repair.

I know others will chime in, saying that diesel fuel is not as explosive or dangerous as RUG. I still error on the side of caution when dealing with any fuel.

The pinch pliers listed are also used to cut open the clamps.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
G60ING, it just dinged! The crimps you are talking about, is the barrell type crimps you might see on AC hoses, as well as the OEM fuel lines.

I suspect you could also use the oetiker clamps to reconnect the fuel lines.

Tony

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
I've used a hacksaw to get off both the barrel-type clamps and the band clamps. Takes a little effort and will certainly cut into the underlying hose. Just use a bit of caution not to nick the nipple under that. I approach at a 45 degree angle to the hose and rotate around as I cut. Not the easiest method but it does work.

I had a problem with the one-way check valves just upstream from my sending unit. It's likely my biodiesel ate them; I had zero flow through my intake check valve. Chopped it out of the line and fuel flow is great. No problems losing prime, either.

Is that motorcycle fuel line slightly rigid? That would solve my problem. The replacement fuel line I got gets very soft when hot, and then it falls over and pinched off my fuel supply. That was really fun on a steep freeway onramp in Oakland last week...

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I've also found that "fuel injector line clamps" work better than regular hose clamps, and are easier to install than the crimp clamps, plus they are easily removable. The regular hose clamps tend to bite into the hose; the fuel injector clamps do not.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Tony Jetta, I'd like to try some of the clamps you used. Is there anything special about the Mcmaster Hose clamp Pinch Pliers? Is it just a flush cutter? Reason I ask is I have 2 pairs of the pinch cutter pliers (1 small 1 large) that look just like it. They are flush cutters and looks like it may do the job. I don't want to buy a tool I already have.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The pinch pliers are not sharp, like flush cutters.

I would be concerned that the flush cutters will cut the clamps before they get tight enough to seal the hose to the barb.

The pinch pliers are quite dull; the oetiker website says to use the pliers to remove the clamps, but you have to muscle the pliers and mangle the clamps to remove them.

I would invest in the pinch pliers.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll look at the pliers tomorrow and try to give you an idea about how rounded they are.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just saw that I never answered the last question...
There is a small radius, less than 1/32"

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll have to order some and give it a try. I've got 13k miles until it's due.

Tony

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Here is a pic of the tygothane lines on my 98 Jetta TDI. The lines are secured at the timing cover by an extra mk3 airbox strap I had lying around

Here is a view of the IDI filter, and a M/B IDI pre-filter poking up behind the intake boot

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
That tubing looks great! Very easy to see the fuel. I am going to consider this for a spring project!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Here is a pic of the tygothane lines on my 98 Jetta TDI. The lines are secured at the timing cover by an extra mk3 airbox strap I had lying around
<image removed>
Here is a view of the IDI filter, and a M/B IDI pre-filter poking up behind the intake boot
<image removed>
I don't want to be a downer, but I have a slight concern about this tube. Normally the engine compartment stays dry from water, but how much should one worry about getting these tubes wet when they have the following warning:
Note: Do not use with water. Water will degrade this tubing and adversely affect the physical properties.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I don't want to be a downer, but I have a slight concern about this tube. Normally the engine compartment stays dry from water, but how much should one worry about getting these tubes wet when they have the following warning:
I Read that and was slightly concerned as well. Then I went to the manufacturer's site. Many big names in Diesel machinery and equipment are using this fuel line. I wonder if they have issues with water degrading the line? I figured they don't want you using it to move water.
As my own experiment I have a 1/2" section of the tubing in a glass baby food jar filled with water. I have been checking its condition daily.

*Also-It isn't like I installed it on a customer's car, I plan on inspecting this line to see how it fairs. If it were gasoline rather than bio diesel, I would be a lot more concerned!

GTiTDi

TDI
This stuff is recommended for Lawn and Garden machinery use too.

Tygothane® LP 1500 Low Permeation Fuel Tubing in Gasoline Fuel Delivery Feed Lines
Using Tygothane® LP 1500 Tubing to meet new emission standards in lawn and garden equipment
The California Air Resource Board (CARB) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed new regulations for emission standards for small non-road spark-ignition engines and equipment. These new standards are intended to reduce the harmful health effects of ozone and carbon monoxide.

Spark-ignition (SI) non-road engines rated below 25 horsepower (19kW) used in household and commercial applications, including lawn and garden equipment, utility vehicles, generators and a variety of other construction, farm and industrial equipment are required to offer lower emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), nitrogen oxides (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO).

These engines and vehicles covered by these regulations are significant sources of air pollution. They account for about 25% percent of mobile source hydrocarbons emissions and 30% percent of mobile source carbon monoxide emissions.

Tygothane® LP 1500 surpasses the stringent permeation requirements proposed by both California Air resource Board (CARB) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Tygothane® LP 1500 features a multi-layer design that offers low permeation compliance. In addition, this construction offers lawn and garden equipment original equipment manufacturers (OEM) confidence that this tubing can handle the performance required while participating in the process of establishing cleaner air.

Wide Temperature Range
Tygothane® LP 1500 tubing is temperature resistant up to 185°F and retains flexibility and cold temperature impact strength to -98°F.

Excellent Chemical Resistance
TYGOTHANE® LP 1500 tubing offers excellent resistance to gasoline used in lawn and garden equipment. In addition, excellent chemical compatibility to oils, greases and petroleum based fuels.

Additional Benefits
Lot-to-lot consistency for tight tolerances and consistent fitting retention
Highly flexible & kink resistant
Resistant to fuels
Resistant to heat & light preventing premature aging
High abrasion resistance / cut & tear resistance

So like I said, I think they don't want you to use this hose to transport water.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
Just rub a little biodiesel on the outside of the line. Bam! Water-resistant. Heck, my Passat seems to automatically add a thin film of bio to my lines anyway.

The Tygothane seems to be a specific type of polyurethane but I can't find any technical discussion about what's special about it. The motorcycle shop tubing I just installed is regular polyurethane. I did find one site that described the Tygothane as a multi-layered product so it could be the outer material is water-resistant while the inner material is not.

I'm going with 360° screw-type clamps with rounded edges for easier removal. At this point I am resigned to regular fuel line replacements until I hear of a guaranteed bio-d resistant material.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I have my sample in a visible area. I will keep everyone informed of any changes!
How are we at 2 months?

Just rub a little biodiesel on the outside of the line. Bam! Water-resistant. Heck, my Passat seems to automatically add a thin film of bio to my lines anyway.

The Tygothane seems to be a specific type of polyurethane but I can't find any technical discussion about what's special about it. The motorcycle shop tubing I just installed is regular polyurethane. I did find one site that described the Tygothane as a multi-layered product so it could be the outer material is water-resistant while the inner material is not.

I'm going with 360° screw-type clamps with rounded edges for easier removal. At this point I am resigned to regular fuel line replacements until I hear of a guaranteed bio-d resistant material.
Fair enough. I'm wanting clear fuel lines myself though

GTiTDi

TDI
The tygothane has become a bit yellowish over time, but remains as elastic and flexible as it was new. It doesn't appear to have degraded.