LCD display issue

OriginalSterm

TDI
none currently
On my road trip from NY to VA, my clock, odo, and trip odo all went blank. After a few hours they just disappeared, half hour later they started to come back line by line. Maybe ten more minutes go by, and everything appears fine. This happened 3 times on the trip, the last time the speedo froze at 25 mph for a few minutes, then came back to life. What gives?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Remove the connector from the coolant tank. Is there any evidence of water on the inside of the connector?

If yes, disconnect the battery ground strap, and remove the instrument panel. Remove the hood from the blue and green connectors. If corrosion is found, TSB for coolant in wires must be performed (overlay harness). It's fairly labor intensive.

If no, it might be a fuse is going bad or the connection is poor, and the electrical system might need some further checking to find the cause. The instrument cluster could also have bad solder joints or another internal failure.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
coolant migration

jcrews said:
Remove the connector from the coolant tank. Is there any evidence of water on the inside of the connector?
Then you have the dreaded coolant migration problem!:eek: Do a search on coolant migration.

Cropduster

TDI
2005 Jetta 1.9 (BEW)
LCD Display problem

Just yesterday, I had the same problem on my early 05 Jetta. Found your post while searching for a solution. I think I caused my own problem when adding coolant (in a sloppy manner) a couple of weeks ago, after replacing my coolant temperature sensor. It appears that I have corrected the problem. Only time will tell. I removed the connector from the coolant tank, and looking at it closely with a loop (magnifying glass), I could see corrosion. I use Deoxit to clean both the connector blades, and the receiving connector half. I used a very small screwdriver to spread the blade receiver part, to get the fluid in. I then connected and re-connected the halves together about a dozen times, and then dried up any excess fluid. Prior to the fix, I had no digital display of the clock, or center shift display (automatic). Strangely, I had display of mileage, and trip counter. But neither one worked! All now seems to be back to normal. Hope it all stays that way. Thanks to all the members postings. Without them, I would never had the faintest idea on where to start. By the way, there seems to be a lot of anti-oxidation products on the market, but they really only prevent oxidation, rather than the Deoxit, which seems to remove it, and protect it. Good Luck! Jack