www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 12th, 2018, 20:04   #7006
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Yeah, I agree, it's decades of nasty packed into that fabric. That's 23 years of oil, dirt, sweat etc, hopefully it will all come out.

Here's the water after the 4 hr soak, the first rinse, which wasn't a lot better, but the second rinse was very clear so that ought to be good. The second photo is of the cover, which looks pretty good but it's not yet dry and probably won't be for a day or so. I'm convinced now that the black vinyl will need some dressing.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:34   #7007
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Any reason that you don’t toss them in the washing machine, even on the gentle cycle? The fabric is very durable.

I’ve been pressure washing and scrubbing fabric seats with a stiff brush, for years.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:16   #7008
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Any reason that you donít toss them in the washing machine, even on the gentle cycle? The fabric is very durable.

Iíve been pressure washing and scrubbing fabric seats with a stiff brush, for years.

-Todd
Todd
I didn't use pressure because I didn't want to push anything further into the fabric than it already was. Nor did I want to push anything from the fabric into the cushion. These have the metal bits in the bolsters to keep them upright and I didn't want cause more damage later on down the road. Now it looks like I'll be replacing both seat cushions (passenger just because I'm picky) so that doesn't matter but I also didn't want water on the seat frame that could cause rust.

I have used the machine before but since these have the wire stitched into the bottom edge to pull them up tight I didn't want to risk losing that and having to thread a new wire through completely. I did manage to remove the metal rods that secure the seat cover to the cushion.

All in all I didn't want to aggravate the fabric any more than it already was from the dirt and oil. I'd like them to last as long as they can.

Given that I'm wondering now whether I should apply some fabric protectant like Scotch Guard? They cleaned up pretty well it might not be all that necessary.

Seat cover is dry, the coloration is the same as when it was still a little wet above so I'm very happy with it. It'll probably go to the upholstery shop today, just hoping that they're not outrageously expensive. I don't have a machine otherwise I would do it.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 09:23   #7009
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I wasn’t suggesting using a 0į nozzle, but if what works for you works, keep at it.

Any time I clean an interior, I Scotchgard everything. It’s a lot of work to do properly and the protection is cheap insurance. Oddly enough, Home Depot was cheaper than Walmart for the carpet and fabric stuff. This has been a few years running and the last car that got the treatment was Rotbox, last summer.

-Todd
Old August 15th, 2018, 19:12   #7010
ToddA1
Veteran Member

2 nights ago, I messed with the AC in the sedan. Body shop said they may be able to get the wagon in next week, and Iím not driving a car with terrible AC.

When I hooked up the gauge set, Iím watching my pressures climb, then drop. One second theyíre normal, the next second, theyíre abnormal. Iím thinking the TXV is faulty, so I pull the cover. Itís heavily corroded and looks to be the original Valeo. I grab a body hammer and dolly, then start giving the TXV a few whacks.... I have nothing to lose.

Both pressures drop in unison, and it looks like a low charge; I have a leaking condenser. I dump about 14oz in and itís cooling pretty nicely. Today was 92į and I was seeing 55į on speed 4, high 40įs on speed 3, etc... temporary success!

As long as it lasts until the heat breaks, Iíll be fine. The system is getting pulled apart and flushed to metal, in the fall. New TXV and drier are on the shelf. Iíll leave it in vacuum, until spring.

Tonight I started the timing belt on the wagon. This month marks 7 years and maybe 40K miles, logged since I bought it. Pushed my luck long enough, so I pulled the belt components off and the front pulley side of the engine is thick with oily grime.... I donít remember ever cleaning these parts.

Cam and IP sprocket, lower timing cover, valve cover and the metal backing plate went into the parts washer. Engine got hosed down with degreaser, brushed and hosed off a couple times.

One of the reasons the wagon is going to the body shop is a rusted fender lip, caused by the factory foam blocks. I yanked the fender liners to pull the p/s foam, and thereís a ton of packed dirt, leaves, that looks like compost, against the a-pillar. Pulled the driver liner and thereís the same stuff, although much less.... hosed it clean. Huge potential for rust, so the liners will need to be pulled at least once a year, to check.

Iíll finish the TB job, tomorrow night.

-Todd
Old August 16th, 2018, 19:58   #7011
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Reassembled the B4V... new timing belt, tensioner, idler, cam seal, VC gasket, VC grommets and air filter. Didnít bother centering the IP, rotated the engine twice then cranked it.... and cranked it again. No start... frustrated...

I pulled the air box, accordion tube, and idler, marked the IP sprocket and belt, loosened the tensioner, carefully added slack to the top belt span and advanced the IP 1 tooth clockwise. Reassembled, cranked it and it immediately started.

Iíll mess with setting the timing later. Main goal was to get it running, to get it out of the driveway. Supposed to have another tree taken down, Saturday.

Need to order a new v-belt and fuel filter.

-Todd
Old August 18th, 2018, 11:34   #7012
lisab4
Veteran Member

That seat cover looks A LOT better already!