2006 jetta tdi Power steering / airbags out after getting struts replaced

Rytharr

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
I just got my front struts/sway bars replaced and an oil change, it was driving great after leaving the mechanics for about 15 miles then my power steering went out, red steering wheel light and all. I called the mechanic and caught him just as he was leaving for the weekend and he told me to check the fuse. I took the fuse out, looked good, put it back and power steering was working again when I started the car. After driving another few miles it went out again, and not coming back, and now the airbag light is also coming on, with warnings when I start the car. Any ideas what would cause this?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I wonder if the shop disconnected the battery while working on the car.
Take it to someone with a VCDS interface/program and have them do a full scan of all the controllers.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296841

I just recently had a situation on a 2006 Jetta where it had a faulty ABS sensor and when the battery was disconnected for other surgery the steering position sensor lost it's basic settings.
I tried to do the basic settings reset but it would not take until the sensor fault was fixed.
You might have a variation on this if they did not re-seat the ABS sensors when changing the struts.
The fault led to a condition where the power steering was not fully there (extra effort required) and the steering wheel did not return to straight ahead position on it's own...a bit scary if you weren't expecting it.

An air bag fault could also arise from disconnecting the battery and flipping the ignition to ON.

Last edited:

Rytharr

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Hey, I didn't notice that this got a reply. I took the car back to the shop and the guys checked that he reconnected everything properly and says he did. All he could find is some wires that were a little corroded so he cleaned them. It was working fine again when I picked it up and drove home, about a 40-mile drive. The next day after driving about 20 miles the power steering went out again so I pulled over turned the car off then on and it was working again, did that several time that trip. For the past week, it works most of the time and when it does go out it always comes back when I restart the car. Haven't had the airbag light come on again, but the power steering light is yellow more than off or red.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there.

My guess is they had something disconnected and turned the steering wheel too far and messed up the clock spring or the steering angle sensor. Just a guess. And until a proper scan tool is used, that is all we can do.

runemann8

TDI
2001 passat, AVF, 130HP, Tiptronic
Having trouble turning the ABS / ESP light on.

This is a passat TDI pump nozzle, 2000

What is strange is that it seems that the lamp always starts to light 40-45 minutes after startup, regardless of driving pattern.

The lamp will be reset after restart of the car and the same will happen again. Have tried some tips to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so far left, then drive straight forward 20km / h, no effect.

Code G85 (steering angle sensor) is read with code reader and erased but returns.

Any tips?