A6 BiTdi Tiptronic to DSG Transmission swap

ErlingK

TDI
Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 BiTdi 313ps
Hi, I have a 2014 A6 Allroad BiTdi. The car and the engine are fantastic.
But the transmission is not the same story...
My brother has an A6 3.0 Tdi 245ps S-Tronic, and the shifting is much smoother.
So I'm thinking about changing the transmission when the warranty is over.
I'm hoping this is not to complicated, since the car is deliver with DSG and similar but weaker engine 3.0
My plan was if possible to buy an S-Tronic transmission for the 3.0 Tdi, get upgraded clutch kit for it.
Do a software change/Tuning for the new transmission.

Would it be so simple, or how much more complicated, wiring, shafts?
Thanks in advance!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
This is the first time i hear the Stronic is better than Tiptronic 8hp55
This tiptronic will outperform the best Stronic with clutch upgrade and 1200euro TVS remap for 1000+Nm
We compared them in drag racing, stock tiptronic goes much better and faster than the Stronic, 2 different worlds.
I guess you have an issue with your TIP.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Maybe look to see if there is a software update for your ZF 8HP transmission first?
The 8HP is a fantastic automatic.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
My only complaint with the Tiptronic is the lag from a dead stop and there doesn't appear to be any TCU tune to fix this. I just ordered a Sprintbooster so hopefully that resolves the issue.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
Q5 is with Stronic, not tip. And it can be laggy from stop.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Q5 is with Stronic, not tip. And it can be laggy from stop.
No, my 2014 Q5 TDI has the 8 speed Tiptronic transmission, as confirmed by the original window sticker. Not sure why you thought it was Stronic. It is laggy from a stop though.

ErlingK

TDI
[FONT=&quot]I have arranged so that Audi will have a new look at the car, did not help the last time but..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One option might be a tune of the transmission?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But does anybody know if it will be a physical fit? Size of the tip vs s-tronic and wiring? [/FONT]

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I don't know if it will fit but it seems like a huge expense and hassle to DOWNGRADE your stock transmission. I would look into an ECU tune and/or Sprintbooster before going down such a drastic route. I don't believe there exists any TCU tune for this transmission however.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
No, my 2014 Q5 TDI has the 8 speed Tiptronic transmission, as confirmed by the original window sticker. Not sure why you thought it was Stronic. It is laggy from a stop though.
I thought Tiptronic only came to the 210kW/286hp 3.0 TDI engine in 2017.

Older 3.0 and all 2.0 TDI always with STronic. What engine you got?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
he probably has SQ5. 313hp
I have the 240hp ccwa with stronic, it;s also a little slow -laggy from dead stop switching 1st or R gears.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I just realized you all are in Europe, my 2014 North American Q5 TDI came with a Tiptronic; it does appear the Euro models received the Stronic.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
FYI installed the Sprintbooster today. Not a big difference from a dead stop but a BIG difference everywhere else. A bit disappointed it didn't resolve the off the line delay but overall it's a very nice mod.

ErlingK

TDI

It's an A6 Allroad 313 Bi Tdi with Tiptronic

ErlingK

TDI
This is the first time i hear the Stronic is better than Tiptronic 8hp55
This tiptronic will outperform the best Stronic with clutch upgrade and 1200euro TVS remap for 1000+Nm
We compared them in drag racing, stock tiptronic goes much better and faster than the Stronic, 2 different worlds.
I guess you have an issue with your TIP.

Yes the car is faster but its more due to the engine not the transmission.
Feel the Stronic shift gear faster in sport mode and smoother in comfort.
What kind of setup/cars did they do the tests on?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI installed the Sprintbooster today. Not a big difference from a dead stop but a BIG difference everywhere else. A bit disappointed it didn't resolve the off the line delay but overall it's a very nice mod.
Yea the sprintbooster just moves the higher accelerator points lower in the pedal angle. You can get the same, or better done in a tune.
It still wouldn't affect how the TCU was programmed to actuate the torque converter action.
The delay is programmed. On my 8hp transmission, normal mode is quite sluggish, sport mode is better, but sport manual mode actuates the torque converter action very quickly. But that's all a function of how BMW's software was set up.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
This would be the worst possible thing to do. S-tronic is utter crap in every possible way compared to 8hp box. Get the ecu PROPERLY tuned and ditch the sprintbooster nonsense.

Lähetetty minun LG-H870 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

ErlingK

TDI
[FONT=&quot]I had the car at Audi again and they change the transmission controller.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The car feels much better now, in comfort it's smooth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But I'm still lacking some of the sportiness, it feels like it reacts slow both from standing still and when doing kick down while driving.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not sure if this is just turbo lag or the transmission.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plan is to get a transmission remap soon.[/FONT]

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Yea the sprintbooster just moves the higher accelerator points lower in the pedal angle. You can get the same, or better done in a tune.
It still wouldn't affect how the TCU was programmed to actuate the torque converter action.
The delay is programmed. On my 8hp transmission, normal mode is quite sluggish, sport mode is better, but sport manual mode actuates the torque converter action very quickly. But that's all a function of how BMW's software was set up.
Have you ever installed a Sprintbooster on any of your vehicles? You cannot get the same from a tune. Everyone who has never installed one loves to say it does nothing more than pressing your foot farther on the accelerator but anyone who as actually installed one knows it is not remotely close to the same. It both decreases throttle lag and increases responsiveness. Don't knock it until you try it.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Facepalm...

You can fudge the drivers wish maps in the tune so bad that your sprintboobster seems sluggish. But thats the worst you can do unless the car is old Merc. Those could benefit from bending the maps.

Lähetetty minun LG-H870 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, not sure why you went on the super defensive there. If you're happy with your sprintbooster, good on you.