Can't do speed limit anymore

JamesJr

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon TDi
Hello all,
Once again i come looking for wisdom to help with an issue. The last few couple months or so I've noticed reduced pep in my ride (99.5 tdi with 450000km) and I was just kind of thinking the poor thing was wearing out...Hard to start, less power......slow death kinda thing....One day my starter just quit so I orderd up a new unit and installed it. The paper that came with the starter said it was a 11 tooth model but was compatible with the old 10 tooth unit that was removed. I installed it and to my amazement the car now started like a dream.....I think finally i was turning it over fast enough to get above the bad fuel curve program that i have read about on this forum. So of course i was loving my old girl again and had renowed confidence that the coming winter would be much less stressful with it starting like a dream....well then as the days went on I noticed the car slowing when I was on cruise and climbing small grades, so I did some more reading on the site and began checking things out. The car seems to just fall flat on its face at 2000 rpm. If i rev it up to 2000 when sitting still it burps and farts once I hit 2000 rpm. So far I have installed a new fuel filter and air cleaner, installed a NEW MAF and no improvement. I've logged data using VAGCOM and I can see the ACTUAL air mass is WAY low of the SPECIFIED air mass. At 2000 rpm driving with my foot to the floor its 795 Specified and 390 actual, the SPECIFIED Boost is 1948 and the ACTUAL Boost is 1560, the N75 solenoid is at 24.7. I checked the turbo vane actuator and it holds vacuum but it is a little sticky/rough through its stroke so i'm going to change that out this weekend. I'm trying to avoid taking the intake off but I think I'm working my way to that being the only think left. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at before I dive into the intake removal job? Can my exhaust be plugged? Anything else i can check with the VAGCOM?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
It probably is the intake.

It's not hard to take off, actually. After you've done it once you'd say "Hey, that was no big deal."

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you do remove the intake and it's plugged, after its cleaned I highly recommend you remove the lower boost hose that goes to the inter cooler and drain all the accumulated oil in there.
Hate to see you clean the intake and then have a runaway and hydro lock your motor when you start the car and rev it........just my .02.