Master cylinder shims.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So I keep getting told to try shimming my master to get proper free play. I keep asking in reply for someone to direct me to somewhere that sells shims for our cars. I've yet to get a reply and searching google on where to buy the shims gives me nothing but a couple people loosing shims on really old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
This is at least the third thread you've got going on this yet there were suggestions it the first, including the one above, that you didn't respond too other than indicating the source for the MC.

The fact that you bought the MC at Napa doesn't guarantee that it was the correct one or not defective.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
What problem are you trying to solve?

These hydraulic release systems DO NOT have classic free play. If the engine is turning, so is the clutch release bearing.

The preload applied to the bearing comes from the spring inside the slave cyl pushes on the piston, push rod, fork and finally clutch release bearing.

Pedal up, ZERO PSI in system. MC push rod pushed in about 1/8" and the system shifts to pressure creation mode, port is closed. Not pedal, push rod 1/8".

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
What problem are you trying to solve?

These hydraulic release systems DO NOT have classic free play. If the engine is turning, so is the clutch release bearing.

The preload applied to the bearing comes from the spring inside the slave cyl pushes on the piston, push rod, fork and finally clutch release bearing.

Pedal up, ZERO PSI in system. MC push rod pushed in about 1/8" and the system shifts to pressure creation mode, port is closed. Not pedal, push rod 1/8".

I'm having brake drag once the brakes get some heat into them and lifting the pedal releases them. I've also found out that this "pre load" I guess as you would call it makes normal stops fine but hard quick stops are scary as it takes a lot more effort of pressing to get hard braking. Lifting the pedal or doing hard stops before everything warms up it's nice and smooth as to be expected. Lifting the pedal to solve the issue is why I think it's a free play issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
My apology, i completely missed that this was a brake related question.

I retract my comments applying to your condition.

Good bye.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
This is at least the third thread you've got going on this yet there were suggestions it the first, including the one above, that you didn't respond too other than indicating the source for the MC.

The fact that you bought the MC at Napa doesn't guarantee that it was the correct one or not defective.

But why would it act the same as my first one? My first MC was having this issue and the previous owner would just "pump to release" which also works on my new one but i try not to put the MC through that. I suspect the pumping is what blew out the seal on the original one that caused the fluid to eat the booster diaphragm.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle