Malone Tuning on PD

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
By moderator: This thread split from original.

Thanks for the compliment guys :)

ihatehybrids: 17 PSI with the stock ECU is roughly 2 PSI higher than where it should be. 20 PSI with a tune is also 2 PSI higher than where it should be (the tune requests 17.5 to 18.0 PSI). Either your boost gauge reads a bit high, or your straight exhaust pipe may be causing a little boost creep, which is very common with BEW engines.

I sent you a PM about taking a quick boost log to check requested vs. actual values.

Regarding Stage 2 with 40+hp. It's fine for many BRM engines, but most BEWs (2004-2006 MK4 Golf, Jetta, and NB) start boost creeping at that power level, regardless of modification used (ECU tune, tuning box, etc.). A 20-25hp mod is safer for most BEWs, preferably with stock exhaust. Some stock BEWs can handle +35hp or more with absolutely no boost creeping above 18.0 PSI in all driving conditions (e.g. WOT to redline in 3rd gear or higher) but it's rare.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Boost creep is hard on your turbocharger. I lunched my VNT15 that had been running at 18 psi for quite a while. Of course I was also at 185,000 miles too.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
What Chris said. The stock BEW turbo seems a bit more robust than the ALH VNT-15 so it may handle a little more boost, but the general consensus is that 18.0 PSI is the reliable limit.

A turbo upgrade easily solves the boost creep problem in BEWs for a safer 40hp or higher gain. The OEM VNT-17 and hybrid VNT-17/22 turbos are most popular.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
so you hate having to fiddling with hybrids mark well maybe i,ll put off my converting my vb into a 1756 for just a while longer :rolleyes:
. well at least until i dyno it near the winter for obvious reasons on stock intercooler
but bowled over by marks service and was blown away by his tuning

vnt 17 going strong seems to be that a few people with similar mods to me have been running 25-26 psi on vb with yours and kermas tuning mark unless it was at the customers request and own risk maybe its somthing to try now the heads screwed down tight:)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Thanks for the compliment guys :)

ihatehybrids: 17 PSI with the stock ECU is roughly 2 PSI higher than where it should be. 20 PSI with a tune is also 2 PSI higher than where it should be (the tune requests 17.5 to 18.0 PSI). Either your boost gauge reads a bit high, or your straight exhaust pipe may be causing a little boost creep, which is very common with BEW engines.

I sent you a PM about taking a quick boost log to check requested vs. actual values.

Regarding Stage 2 with 40+hp. It's fine for many BRM engines, but most BEWs (2004-2006 MK4 Golf, Jetta, and NB) start boost creeping at that power level, regardless of modification used (ECU tune, tuning box, etc.). A 20-25hp mod is safer for most BEWs, preferably with stock exhaust. Some stock BEWs can handle +35hp or more with absolutely no boost creeping above 18.0 PSI in all driving conditions (e.g. WOT to redline in 3rd gear or higher) but it's rare.

Cheers,
Mark
What about all this for the BHW in a 2005 passat?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
The BHW is a 2.0L, 134hp/247ft-lbs stock. Increased to 175hp/305ft-lbs depending on how aggressive the tune is. Boost creep is not a concern with the BHW turbo.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
~ +40 hp and +60 trq sounds great, but are there any issues with high altitude? I live at 5k ft and travel up from there.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Performance is reduced a bit at high altitude. The turbo will otherwise have to work harder to compress thinner air to produce the desired boost. No issues otherwise. Instead of keeping bumping this thread to the top we probably should take this to PM or e-mail.
info@malonetuning.com

Cheers,
Mark

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
Sweet
so how many KM'S did the "stock" TDI have that put out 87 whp 154wtq?
i read somewhere that VW advertises their power in whp versus other manufacturers is it true?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Some people believe that VW advertises wheel power for their turbo engines, and crank power for their NA engines. i.e. a 150hp 1.8T puts down 150whp and a 172hp 12v VR6 puts down 155whp.

Dyno results vary too, sometimes as high as 20%. One of my clients made 140hp on one dyno (Dyno Dynamics) and 119hp on another (Mustang dyno) just 20 minutes away. It also depends on how the dyno is calibrated, etc. There are tons of variables.

Some tuners tend to favour dyno places that print higher HP numbers, which makes for better marketing material. I tend to use conservative dyno machines (like the aforementioned Mustang).

Edit: Regarding mileage, the TDIs were typically in the 100,000-250,000km range. The 2009 TDI that dynoed had roughly 10,000km.

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Performance is reduced a bit at high altitude. The turbo will otherwise have to work harder to compress thinner air to produce the desired boost. No issues otherwise. Instead of keeping bumping this thread to the top we probably should take this to PM or e-mail.
info@malonetuning.com

Cheers,
Mark
I'll get in touch after I've inspected my cam. I sure hope all PD owners who seek a tune are aware of potential cam wear issues.

Last edited:

zoompastu

TDI
06 Jetta
One should inspect the cam by...?
take off the valve cover and pull off one of the bearing caps. the cam and bearing can fail from 60k to 120k (k=1000 miles) on the PD motors. There is quite a bit of info on this just do a search. I found out about this the day after I bought my 2006.... although it gives a good excuse to my Mrs. to do the colt stage II cam

Redress

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2001 Golf 2003 Jetta Wagoon
Malone Stage 1...

Drove a total of about 800 miles to have Cory Bodenhamer do a stage 1 tune to my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon - more than pleased with the results. He was most gracious to deal with... Worth the trip...Tony Austin

allipki

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
Hello, can you please share Cory contacts, thanks

Drove a total of about 800 miles to have Cory Bodenhamer do a stage 1 tune to my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon - more than pleased with the results. He was most gracious to deal with... Worth the trip...Tony Austin

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Bought 'chipped' 2005 Golf TDI BEW. Straight pipe from turbo to tail pipe.
Diesel newbie (total turbo gasser up to this point). Don't even know what and how to log on the TDI. But did a first VAGcom log below. Concerned about the deviation of desired to actual boost. Plan to custom tune, but for now looking for a stock tune to flash in to be on the safe side.

Please comment on the log. And would appreciate some pointers what parameters to select for "TDI Logging BEW" in VAGcom. (for my gassers, I use Me7 logger and ECUxPlot).

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
No and No.
Total TDI newbie (gazzer turbo expert).
On the last now current turbo, a new actuator was installed (note says: 'was leaking').

Also don't like how the turbo outlet pipe 'sits'; the "C" clamp (going behind the 2 'notches' in the intake hose) allows quite a bit of 'play'. Since I have 2, i tried both hoses and both C clamps, same 'play'. Hope it holds. Photo show how "C" clip seats (taken from the bottom of the car/turbo shooting up; bottom of house can be axially move 2 mm (moved out position shown in photo); O-rings checked on both hoses (both look good and the same):

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Replace N75, verify all vacuum routing. Try lengthening actuator. What tune and what exhaust mods? Coolant temp is reading correctly with vcds?

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Will do as suggested. Had good luck using my friends 'smoker' (professional leak detection machine) on all my other (gas) turbos.

Tune: RocketChip (just found and downloaded stock tune, saved RocketChip tune). Exhaust: straight pipe from turob to tail pipe (large enough that all turbo pieces (including turbine wheel) where GONE (tail discharge together will all engine oil) when the first turbo blew up.

Will verify VAGcom coolant temp as well. Need to do tranny fluid level check anyways (but first need to get car level, currently front up on jacks).

Need to google 'lengthening actuator' so.

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
stock turbo + modded exhaust on a BEW + aggressive tune = overboost = BAAAAD.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
stock turbo + modded exhaust on a BEW + aggressive tune = overboost = BAAAAD.
That would explain it. Is the boost chart considered aggressive? (Rocketchip tune, shows desired boost 17 psi, but obviously overboosting, likely overspooling, potentially from free flow exhaust; Not sure if I logged N75, see if it is at least trying to get boost to match "desired" level, or if N75 is lazy/leaky).