WHAT SIZE CAP WRENCH FOR 2003 Golf OIL FILTER

TDImoksha

TDI
2003 golf gls TDI
I am having trouble finding the right size cap wrench for the oil filter housing on my 2003 Golf TDI. I bought a strap wrench hoping to get it off that way but whoever changed the oil last time put the housing on way to tight and I can't get it off with a strap wrench. O'reiley auto parts doesn't have the right size cap wrench, so no luck there.

does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the housing off? or a link to the proper cap wrench so I can finish this job. unfortunately I already emptied the oil pan so I'm sitting in limbo... :(

Thanks!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I am having trouble finding the right size cap wrench for the oil filter housing on my 2003 Golf TDI. I bought a strap wrench hoping to get it off that way but whoever changed the oil last time put the housing on way to tight and I can't get it off with a strap wrench. O'reiley auto parts doesn't have the right size cap wrench, so no luck there.
does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the housing off? or a link to the proper cap wrench so I can finish this job. unfortunately I already emptied the oil pan so I'm sitting in limbo... :(
Thanks!
A strap wrench will work even though it's in a tight access once you are down at that level. Once you get it started about a turn it should start to move easier.

I use hand tight when tightening my filter cap. It's plenty. I have the metalnerd cap socket for getting it off, because the cap is hot, but I know I can remove it otherwise.

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
I broke my dipstick tube with a strap wrench last week, the dipstick tube only costs 3€, but you must pay attention because if it slips it can happen.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I found one at Pep Boys, from memory it was 2 7/8" across the flats.
The "associate" was kind enough to let me walk out to the parking lot
and check it on the housing before I paid for it. About $6.

Try "CTA A251 oil filter cap socket". 76mm x 14 flutes.

Last edited: