TDI Jetta tranny won't engage

TDI JD

TDI
Jetta 2006
Engine starts but shifters stuck, workaround used but tranny won't engage. (automatic triptronic) Engine starts, dash PRNDS all light up. Key gets stuck when turned off. Drove fine with occasional glitch in shifter. Restart was the solution. Battery died and was replaced then it shut down all together. Can't find a brake switch solenoid on the brake and I'm now cleaning all corroded contact points.
I'm new to the site, hoping somebodies crossed this path before me.

Last edited:

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
I feel like it has something to do with the clutch pack , just use the search function there is a ton of info on our model for the DSG (auto tranny) .

TDI JD

TDI
Jetta 2006
Clutch pack

I'll do some research. I was thinking electrical. Things where fine until I changed the battery. Thanks for the response and I'll let you know how I make out.

TDI JD

TDI
Jetta 2006
shift problems

This clutch pack seems like a big job. The vehicle goes into neutral and runs fine. It wasn't shifting roughly or causing any problems with the gears prior to this problem so I'd like to eliminate any other possibilities prior to replacing the clutch. Does anyone have anything else they can suggest?

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
I haven't seen a lot of info on autos, most enthusiasts throw them in the garbage and stab in a manual box. I've rebuilt one auto, a b7ta from an odyssey. It wasn't bad, but I followed the factory manual, the internet wasn't overly helpful

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Posting the year make and model might be helpful. I'm gonna assume its the 2006 in your signature.

The flywheels can strip making no move condition. Clutch pack can have the snap rings pop out but neither time I've seen this (with different snap rings each time) was the complaint "no move". (cant just put the snap rings back cuz they will pop out again)

Transmission code triggered when your "PRNDS all light up" so you may want to scan it and see what codes were there.

any history on this? Did you buy it like this?