Replacing the Passat - Keeping the Manual Transmission

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
So the other thread on "Passat replacement based on cabin size" got me thinking - what if you throw the manual transmission into the mix and don't want to drive around in a stripped down econobox.

http://www.web2carz.com/autos/everything-else/6121/every-manual-transmission-car-available-in-2017

Willing to go a bit used (2015 or newer):

- Four door SEDAN with Manual Trans!
- Passat-sized cabin
- Well equipped
- Heated seats
- 25-35k

What would you do?
- Used BMW 5-series?
- New Honda Accord EX?

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The cabin size criterion might come close with the Accord, but several posters in this forum have stated that the BMW 5-series just doesn't come that close to the Passat. And the interior space (including the huge trunk) will be a big factor for us when it's time to replace our Passat.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I could be wrong, but I believe BMW stopped offering a 5-series with a manual transmission in the US around 2013 or 2014 (if not earlier). And good luck finding an F10 (2011+) model with a stick - not many people bought them, which is no doubt why they were disco'd. However, there are still E60 (2004-2010) and earlier ones out there if you look hard enough.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Personally, between the two choices you offered up, I would go with the Honda. It all comes down to total cost of ownership. I would consider the maintenance cost of the two.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Personally, between the two choices you offered up, I would go with the Honda. It all comes down to total cost of ownership. I would consider the maintenance cost of the two.
I agree, used BMW maintenance costs is like having a flesh-eating virus attacking your bank account.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
High maintenance, but in my experience not too much more than a modern VW, as long as you are maintaining properly and not just waiting for stuff to break, then fixing it.

But YMMV!! :)

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Purchase price (close) and Fuel economy out the window, this almost fits your requirements, manual transmission and then some.
GM did have 20% off MSRP on new inventory in Feb and may do it again before they're gone for good. This is the last year for the SS.

Watch the whole video. Pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
AJA888 is spot on, Some BMW's hold several gallons of oil, I know my coworkers 750 took 10 quarts of mobile 1 $$$$ when we changed it, Almost overfilled my drain tank!

Last edited: