Squealing Sunroof

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Have not seen any threads on this but does anyone know how to stop the terrible squealing chatter during the sunroof closure cycle? I lubed the guide tracks and rails with grease but the sound remains.

Both Jetta's have the same issue. I even had it written up under warranty and the dealer stated that they disassembled and lubricated the sunroof assembly. Even after that the sound remains.

Thanks,

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Add me to the list as well. Dealership tried lubricating everything (including the entire interior of my car- that's a story for another day :mad:) and it still squeals while closing.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
I think they all do it when its hot out. Nature of the beast I guess. Still love mine.

That's my going theory as well, though today it was 88 and no squeak. I too used regular automotive grease to lube the track, should be fine. Problem sounds internal, not the track. Who knows though, maybe the grease is finally in the right spot now. I have half a mind to get a can of white lithium grease and just hose down the inner mech.

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
Mine started to make noise at 20,000km

Brought it in for an oil change at 30,000km (6 months old) and i was just charged $50 to lube the track. apparently it was a part of the service at 30,000km

$1 worth of grease cost $49.99 at Guelph Volkswagen.

i'm very happy i didn't buy any extra warranty's when i bought the car. lol

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Holy cow that is squeaky! Sorry your dealership is so brutal. Mine has been nothing but good to me so far. *Knock on wood*.

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
Count me in on this issue

I tried lubing it with with 3inONE - Lithium grease (wrong!) it did not help. I even sat there for a few minutes opening /closing the roof into both positions. It helped short term but never really went away.

I will clean off off the wrong grease I sprayed on and use WURTH Silicon Spray as recommended by my nearest dealer.

Cheers,

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Yes, I finally figured it out. The trick is to lube the rails as far back as you can reach with a spray straw. I used lithium grease, and went a bit overboard, but got the squeal to go away. I put a big glob of it as far back in there, and spread it to the sides where the rails rub. Worked it back and forth a few times and voila!

You don't have to have that much grease on the lower main portion of the track, that didn't actually help anything. My squeal was mainly the rear half of the track. What is in the pic is overkill, just make sure you grease it will back where my straw is pointing.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Out standing work, I admire your enthusiasm. Both of my TDI's are gone now :(

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To funny. Packing all that grease into the tracks. My M5 sunroof doesn't rattle or chatter and Iv'e never lubed it. Outside air temps make no difference.

You guys don't have one of those pile of poo pano roofs do you? A guy posted here that his pano roof was malfunctioning and hope against hope he was having the dealer try to get it closed properly so he could take out the fuse. Guess he didn't want to spend the thousands of $ to get it fixed.

Last edited:

r4ndys1ngh

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
I had this as well. But I noticed there was a lot of lub. So it wasn't a track issue.. I did notice how dirty the sides were where the rubber from the glass rubs up against. Try cleaning the inside where there is a lot of dirt build up, wipe down the rubber & clean the plastic guard that pops up when the sun roof opens. I applied armor all interior cleaner on the plastic guard, just so it was slightly greasy. I used a spray wax in a bottle, spray the cloth & wipe along the edges. Avoid getting grease on the cloth.

After that the squeeking & squaling went way.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
I wiped off most of that lube, but the track did need it. Once it got to the right places, all that excess was wiped away and is clean now. couple weeks of use and no squeals :) I use my SR way too often to put up with all that embarrassing noise.