Broken engine mount

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I read all of the info on blue loctite and the instructions state that no torque compensation is required when you use it.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
maybe I am overreacting, but there is still no reason to waste time with loctite when a metal pressure weld is available. That's why we use torque wrenches!

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
in my 01 , the shop that did the T-belt only tightened two bolts , the least accesible one was just snug. it loosened overtime. wife popped the clutch , the rear one broke the block threaded piece and the engine was only supported by one bolt which bent. engine twisted the bracket towrds the front of the car.

rayban776

TDI
bad batch?

Sorry to bring this up from the past, but I've just experienced this same problem of sheared bolt and broken engine tab. The local VW specialty shop where I had the timing belt done about 15,000 miles ago said there was a bad batch of these stretch bolts with green heads.

I haven't been able to find anything about a bad batch. Has anyone ever heard of this?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Wow you should have gone to your local GURU in Red Lion.... YOu would have had the job done right and perhaps gotten a tune too...

Remember TDIs are different. Most likely shops not on the "GURU" lost are not TDI smart.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I think they meant to say that there was a bad batch of green nuts working on cars for them. Bad batch of bolts, now that's funny.

Fearless44

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI GLS
geezer - old son of a gun, who when challenged in his field of expertise will always be right and you will never teach him a new trick

biker250

TDI
'02 Golf
The link above for the VanGogh bracket doesn't work anymore......is this bracket still available somewhere today?

learningTDIlover

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5-Speed
Hey! So I'm relatively new here, and I'm aware that this thread is a bit old, however I have a question. I've searched through here a bit, and was wondering if any of you with broken motor mount issues have had other damage as a result of the fall? My mount(s) just broke, and I've yet to really tear into it, but I was curious as to whether or not I'm about to find, or should pay close attention to, anything in particular that you all noticed with your repairs. Thanks!

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hello and welcome to TDIClub! This is Jim from Dieselgeek.com. I saw your question and I'm sorry to hear that your block broke. Did you have a recent timing belt change? If not, was the car involved in an accident recently or within the last two years? Those are the leading predictors for a broken ear on the block. For a timing belt job, if someone doesn't torque down the three vertical motor mount bolts correctly one or more of the bolt can loosen and break.

To answer your question, I would inspect the timing cover carefully since a broken ear can result in the engine sitting down and then the timing cover gets pushed into the timing belt and it can result in a broken timing belt if not discovered soon enough. Its rare but it has happened.

Feel free to contact us at Dieselgeek directly if you have questions. We do have the repair kits to fix the broken ear.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Learning TDI,

Other things can happen. just installed one of Jim's Van Gough brackets on my BRM (Thanks Jim!) were fixing the collateral damage. I bought the car from the insurance company after the prior owner clipped a curb, broke the pendulum mount which caused the alternator bracket / motor mount to break. It dropped the motor on timing belt side and cause the cam gear to eat into the cover. This also damaged the coolant hose and the inner plastic timing belt cover (one that goes against the block).

I was fortunate enough to find a used alternator / accessory bracket (300 or so for a new one) same goes for the motor mount . But you can get some real damage. Since I am in there, we are also doing a timing belt, water pump, thermostat.

Back to your question:
1. look at the accessory bracket (alternator - ac compressor) mine broke the top bolt mount
2. Engine bracket, chances are its broke if the mount on the motor is broke
3. Pull the cam cover and look for damage

If you are lucky, you will not have quite the damage I have, but that being said. I bought mine broke for very cheap knowing I would replace all of this and other wear items to build another BRM for the family.

Last edited: