Omaha, NE chat thread

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
the used NB TDI

Found it! :) Performance just took in trade a 2005 NB TDI, 16K miles, 5spd auto, yellow (ugh), package 1 (leather/sunroof/heated seats:confused: ):D

They don't even have it on the lot yet, but they will have it in tonight, and take it straight to in-service to evaluate:confused: They have no price for it yet:confused: Don't understand how they ran the numbers,,,, which means they raked the buyer, but hey its a dealer...

I'm going there tonight to get a sneak preview: - if I like, I'll be selling my 2005 Passat TDI tomorrow for cash (have buyer) and buying the NB. Unless I come to my senses in the meantime.... perhaps my SWMBO can help me there...:(

-Bill

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Update on new NB TDI

Ummm..... now Performance won't take delivery of the 2005 NB TDI until the middle of next week, since they had to bring in a new car from an out-of-state dealer for the buyer:confused:

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Getting Shafted at the Dealer

What proceeds is the slaughter of a Passat TDI owner. My 2005 had 107k miles, and I decided to have the TB done and other work done. I shelled out $2500.

Let me know how bad I got shafted, and if I have any recourse to recoup any of my $.

Filterelem $10.50, 5litre 505.01 $33.50, splash $1.40, fuel-filter $36.62, filterelem $23.20, tooth belt $108.32, tensioner $137.90, roller $69.92, beltdamper $136.40, water pump $108.80. Total parts of $651.56 with labor of $795.99.:mad:

2 brake discs $135.32, brk lining $51.52 for a total of $186.84 and labor of $190.

Windows pin (rear driver window stuck) $2.84 with labor of $135.95:mad: :mad:

Flat fuse $1.68 with labor of $19.95 (ok, abuse me, even I could have figured that one out).

Bulb (for climate panel) $3.76 with labor of $25.95.

Maybe the non-mechanically inclined shouldn't own a TDI? How bad?

thanks for any advice,
Bill

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Bill,
Unfortunately I don't think there really is any recourse. Dealerships are in the business of making money, and a big part of that is their service department. Not sure of the exact costs, but I think a full timing belt kit purchased from one of the vendors on this site is around $3-400. Usually to have a TDI Guru from this site do a timing belt job, including parts and labor is well under $1000. So, you could have it done cheaper, but live and learn.:( Your brakes should be good for another 100,000 miles, so no big deal.

Next time you need something done, give shout out to the group here. I'm sure one of us would be happy to lend a hand. Oil and filter changes (oil, air, cabin) are very easy and can be handled by yourself even if you aren't mechanically inclined.

I try to do all my own maintenance, but recently took my Jetta into the dealership to have the turn signal stalk replaced. Common problem in the MKIV era cars as the turn signal clicks constantly. I could have done it myself, but didn't want to mess up taking the steering wheel off and blow the airbag. A couple hundred bucks later, I feel much more sane driving around without that eternal clicking:eek: but I still hate spending the money at the dealership.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Thank you kindly for the offer, I'll glady take you up on it, I promise:D

I'm one of those guys that can't seem to get a screwdriver or hammer to work correctly:eek:

I don't mind speding some $ to get something done right, but do hate spending more than I fairly have too.

But $2,500 isn't bad for 100K miles of maintenance - beyond the normal service inspections/repairs, is it?

Oh, does this group recommend the mufflerectomy and ventectomy for a 2005 Passt PD TDI? I think I read on one of the posts that the B5(B5.5?) Passats benefit quite abit from the mufflerectomy. If so, is this done at the GTGs, or?

take care,
Bill

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
vwcampin said:
Jumpn,
The article will be running this Saturday.

Vwsnaps-Don't know of any TDI's currently for sale in the area, but I saw your old MKIII a few months ago and whoever bought it must have rearended someone. The front was a mess. Too bad, it was a good looking car.
yep 3 days after i sold it to him he went under the back of a jeep. He has the parts to fix it but hasnt done it yet..

Last edited:

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210849

FYI, BleachedBora is making a road trip, and Omaha is in his itinerary for May 28, according to this thread. You have to pre-order and pre-pay, but no shipping. Just keeping you guys in the loop!

Just saw that the thread is locked, may want to pm BB himself if you have needs.

Last edited:

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
jumpn said:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210849

FYI, BleachedBora is making a road trip, and Omaha is in his itinerary for May 28, according to this thread. You have to pre-order and pre-pay, but no shipping. Just keeping you guys in the loop!

Just saw that the thread is locked, may want to pm BB himself if you have needs.
thanks for the update. i'll probably get in contact with him, just so we can meet up that night for a beer or something. i don't need any parts, but i do like to meet TDI-ers.

who else wants to get together that night?

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Anyone interested in a 2000 TDI Project car?

I picked up one on saturday and its just more than what i have time for with 10 weddings coming up in the next few weeks , i will never get to it.

I listed it for sale in the classifieds.. $6500 come drive it home.

2000 Tdi Jetta
automatic
Blue with tan cloth, no sunroof, power windows.
Has electrical problems... car starts and drives.
No tail lights, no speedometer, windows dont work, keyless entry works every once in awhile.

Clean title.

Cory@richmondphoto.com
402-202-6299

I will probably list it on ebay tomorrow to end on the weekend.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Help with Running Light

Darn, just noticed one of my day lights is out on my 2005 Passat TDI. Called dealer and they want ~$50-55 to replace (parts and labor). Should I go the dealer route, or can someone help me, etc.? I don't have a clue and am sure I'd destroy the car if I attempted it.

take care,
Bill

Kaliszewski

TDI
85 jetta
Hi guys, new to the area, just bought a 85 jetta to tinker on. Looking to find info or help on how to adjust the timeing. 1.6L Diesel

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Phaedrus, I think the light would be one of your low beams. I don't have your model car, but I'd expect to find a plastic cover behind the light assembly that you'll see once you open the hood. Remove that cover, unplug the connector to the bulb underneath (probably has a keeper that will have to be pinched or pulled to allow the plug to come off), twist the bulb a fraction of a turn in the proper direction to free it. If you look closely at the filament, you will probably see that it's broken. Look for one like it at an autoparts store. Take care not to touch the glass part of the new bulb because fingerprints can damage it. It's not hard.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Kaliszewski, there is some kowledge of your car among the group. It'd be great to meet you and have a show-n-tell session about your new-to-you Jetta. I think there's a guy in KC that's been working on a 1.6 car.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Phaedrus said:
Darn, just noticed one of my day lights is out on my 2005 Passat TDI. Called dealer and they want ~$50-55 to replace (parts and labor). Should I go the dealer route, or can someone help me, etc.? I don't have a clue and am sure I'd destroy the car if I attempted it.

take care,
Bill
I wouldn't pay to have it replace or really worry about replacing it. You may beable to turn the DRL off using a VAG.

Does anyone know if the VAG can be usedto shut them offin the 05 Passat like we can with the 06 Jetta's? If so, I'd be more than happy to turn them off for the OP.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
To disable DRL's on the B5's you can either bend the pin in the headlight switch or remove relay 173.

Bill,
This shouldn't be too hard of a job, even for someone who isn't mechanically inclined. This might be helpful for you. http://web.njit.edu/~rxp0835/b5/info.php Just click on "replacing headlight bulbs" Goes through both high and low beams. It's for a gas Passat but should be the same. An H7 bulb from the autoparts store should work just fine. Just have them look up a low beam light for your model year.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Why would anyone turn off the DRL or any other safety feature:eek: Can you tell me what VAG and OP are? or point me to right post? I'll read the suggested links and see if I can muster the courage to damage my car:(

But this problem was awesome, in that it made me read the manual :eek: and I just found out after owning the car for three years and 109k miles, that i have fog lights!:eek: Please stop laughing.... I should know, RTFM...

take care,
Bill

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Phaedrus said:
:eek: and I just found out after owning the car for three years and 109k miles, that i have fog lights!:eek: Please stop laughing....

That is funny.. Kinda like when i bought my 2003 20th Gti with a 6 speed. I was driving all the way from lincoln to chicago in 5th gear!!! ;)

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
VAG or VAGCOM is a diagnostic tool / computer program that runs off a laptop via a cable to a diagnostic port in your car. There are lots of systems that can be checked or manipulated using this. VAGCOM is pretty much an essential tool for most of the people here who do a lot of their own wrenching.

OP refers to the "Original Poster", the guy who brought up the topic. Lots of shorthand to get used to here.
There may be a thread under the FAQ's of what most of the acronyms mean.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Bill,
I vote you grab the correct light from an autoparts store and give it a go. If you feel you are in over your head, I'm sure one of us could meet up with you some evening or weekend and shwo you how to do it.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Phaedrus said:
Why would anyone turn off the DRL or any other safety feature:eek:
my DRL are disabled... if i want my lights on, i'll just turn them on myself. in the ALH, the DRL are about 80% as bright as the low beams, so they really server no function.

i'll be glad to meet up with you any day/night this week and help with a headlight bulb replacement. i need to replace both of my low beam bulbs since i've been running with only the highs on for about 10 months now... sorry on-coming traffic, but that low beam light patter is just so horrible.

feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a PM/email.

JetA_Wagon

TDI
'02 & '05 Jetta TDI Wagons
White wagon 4 sale

Yesterday I saw white Jetta wagon cross Q on 144th going south. It had for sale signs in the windows and it looked like a TDI badge on it. Anyone know who it is and if it is a TDI? If it's a TDI I'm interested.

Regards,

George

ChristopherC

Veteran Member
TDI
04 NB TDI PD
Hi guys.

I'll be in Omaha next weekend (5/17) for a gtg with friends. I'm staying in/around La Vista. Any recommendations for a nearby bio station?

www.findbiodiesel.org shows Nebraska Iowa Supply Co., 3441 S. 66th, as the nearest. Is this place still in business and do they still sell bio? I've got a PD so my preference/comfort level is B11.

TIA.

ps. Thanks to this thread Omaha isn't the micro beer desert I envisioned. Time permitting I've got Crescent Moon & NE Brewing Co. on my to-do list. Both look to be very close, on the map anyways.

Last edited:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Nebraska Iowa Supply still sells bio. Send MrErlo a PM as he buys from them exclusively and can give you the lowdown on their hours, etc.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Are there any Phateons in this area? Can any of the local VW dealers service one, if I should buy a used on? I might need to treat myself with an irrational purchase.

Did VW ever sell the v10 diesel Phateons in US or does anyone know if they plan to in the future? I took a peak at the Italian VW web-site (don't ask) and took a virtual tour of the v10 diesel Phateon:D .... mamamea! I'd be willing to sell one of my kidneys for one. Did VW ever sell the v10 diesel Phateon in the US or does anyone know if they plan to in the future.

Saw some German auto-press reference that VW plans to re-introduce the Phateon in the US in late 2008 or 2009, but will basically be on the Audi A6 frame. Looks like the current Phateon is on the Audi A8 L frame? I can't recall if it referenced a v8, v12 (w12) or diesel...

-Bill

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
MrErlo said:
i'll be glad to meet up with you any day/night this week and help with a headlight bulb replacement. i need to replace both of my low beam bulbs since i've been running with only the highs on for about 10 months now... sorry on-coming traffic, but that low beam light patter is just so horrible.

feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a PM/email.
Sorry, just now saw this post, I was busy with that ugly thing called work:( Let me know what works for you. I'm in Omaha on weekdays - work downtownish and usually roll in on a Sat or Sun for extreme walmart shopping. I'm flexible.

I'll be honest with you... I looked at the "how to" links and got scared and had dealer do it (in 17 minutes for a tattered Grant:eek: )...but they wouldn't let me watch (I wanted to learn how to do it).. I'd be willing to pay you to show me how to change one out for future reference. I'd also like to learn about what types of mods I can make with a B5.5 for either better mpg or better looks/performance. Saw some stuff on www.b5one.com that I really like but it is for performance/show, and not mpg.

take care and thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it:)
Bill

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
ChristopherC said:
Hi guys.

I'll be in Omaha next weekend (5/17) for a gtg with friends. I'm staying in/around La Vista. Any recommendations for a nearby bio station?

www.findbiodiesel.org shows Nebraska Iowa Supply Co., 3441 S. 66th, as the nearest. Is this place still in business and do they still sell bio? I've got a PD so my preference/comfort level is B11.

TIA.

ps. Thanks to this thread Omaha isn't the micro beer desert I envisioned. Time permitting I've got Crescent Moon & NE Brewing Co. on my to-do list. Both look to be very close, on the map
anyways.
I'm sure Eric will pop in here later tonight but I actually was put on the NE/IA by him and they are only open during thweek as it's a oil/fule supplier. I beleive the are open 8-5 M through Friday. The sell B99 and can either fill can's or pump straight into the vehicle.

I also have a PD so I have just been splash blending to about a 7% mix. I do 1 gallon BioD and 4oz Howes when I go to fill up weekly. Great stuff and at $4.30 a gallon, it's a no brainer as it's the best fuel system lube we can use in our cars.

If I had an extra 5gal can and the time to fill it (I work in Lincoln but live in Omaha) I'd set you up.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Phaedrus said:
Are there any Phateons in this area? Can any of the local VW dealers service one, if I should buy a used on? I might need to treat myself with an irrational purchase.

There couple Phateons driving here in Sioux Falls, one white and one black one that I see all the time. I think most VW dealer would be able service them, engines were V8 engine or W12 (not to many of them). I've heard that they don't hold value good and give a lot of headaches.

Did VW ever sell the v10 diesel Phateons in US or does anyone know if they plan to in the future? I took a peak at the Italian VW web-site (don't ask) and took a virtual tour of the v10 diesel Phateon:D .... mamamea! I'd be willing to sell one of my kidneys for one. Did VW ever sell the v10 diesel Phateon in the US or does anyone know if they plan to in the future.

There were only two engine options available to US V8-4.2L & W12-6.0L.

Saw some German auto-press reference that VW plans to re-introduce the Phateon in the US in late 2008 or 2009, but will basically be on the Audi A6 frame. Looks like the current Phateon is on the Audi A8 L frame? I can't recall if it referenced a v8, v12 (w12) or diesel...

-Bill
The platform they used is D1 the same one as used on Bently Continental GT & Bently Continental Flying Spur. There were no diesel options available in US only in europe.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Phaedrus said:

el...

-Bill
No dealership in nebraska ever sold phaetons. I don't think their people were trained on the car.

No v10 diesel in the USA and the W12 ate more fuel than a gasser expedition.

Sweat ride though.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Phaedrus said:
Sorry, just now saw this post, I was busy with that ugly thing called work:( Let me know what works for you. I'm in Omaha on weekdays - work downtownish and usually roll in on a Sat or Sun for extreme walmart shopping. I'm flexible.

I'll be honest with you... I looked at the "how to" links and got scared and had dealer do it (in 17 minutes for a tattered Grant:eek: )...but they wouldn't let me watch (I wanted to learn how to do it).. I'd be willing to pay you to show me how to change one out for future reference. I'd also like to learn about what types of mods I can make with a B5.5 for either better mpg or better looks/performance. Saw some stuff on www.b5one.com that I really like but it is for performance/show, and not mpg.

take care and thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it:)
Bill
Bill, A lot of this stuff isn't that hard once you actually give it a try. Start with something easy and work your way up. Not too familiar with the Passats as far as mods, especially for MPG's. I doubt there is a whole lot you can do for that, other than a chip tune (if you can then keep your foot out of it:) ) Other than that, what type of looks things are you interested in that you have seen?