New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

PLPDX

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I already posted a question, but figure I will use this post appropriately.

I have been the second owner of a 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon since spring 2013. BEW engine, 5 speed manual, daily driver, 242k miles. My 3 year old named the car 'Trooper.'

Love the car, only wish I had more time to do work on it myself, as it is definitely a labor of $$ to get it into the shop for everything!

I do or have done the regular, easy things (brakes, oil changes, mirror swap, center console repair), but am trying to learn and take on more. I'd like to keep this car to 400k miles or beyond.

Projects on the to-do list, that I can remember:

- EGR repair or delete
- IC cleaning, o-ring replacement
- front wiper linkage rebuild
- door lock/latch repair all around (sticky, clicky handles on 3 doors, 1 door only opens from inside)
- rear hatch repair (hydraulic arm broke off for the second time)
- chip tune
- replace sideview mirror, drivers side
- shock/strut upgrade

Looking forward to taking part here, learning a lot, hopefully adding some value back as I move along!

FLASH1970

TDI
2001 GOLF GLS
Hello all. I do not have a TDI yet but im hunting for a 200-2003 Golf GLS TDI. I signed up here to learn and read through the 'things to look for' threads, went through the timing belt how-to and it seems on par with other timing belt jobs. I plan on doing all my own maintenance like usual (done clutches, cylinder head replacements, timing belt jobs, engine replacement, engine rebuilds, tuning, turbo swaps, control arms... on the cobalt & DSM platforms). ive been hunting around and found a couple TDI's for around 3 grand that have well over 300k miles :/ but seem to be in decent shape. finding a lower mileage one is tough. and usually insanely expensive if I find one. but im confident that I can fix whatever breaks on a high mileage car.

ColtsFan1120

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SE
New to TDI!

Hi all! My name is Amanda, and I'm really new to the TDI world (but not to the VW world). My mechanic/cousin recommended I get myself a diesel since I drive a good amount for my job. I was a little skeptical because I didn't know much about diesels, but I ended up finding a really nice 2005 VW Passat TDI GLS about an hour and a half from where I live. It had 211,xxx miles on it when I purchased it, and was very clearly well maintained - beautiful interior, very clean under the hood. My cousin told me if I didn't get it he would. Haha. So I've had this awesome car since September 2016, and I honestly don't know if I'll go back to gasoline. I'm so spoiled by fuel economy with this thing, and I really don't understand why more people don't have diesel cars. But I suppose their ignorance is my gain. :D I've enjoyed reading some threads on here and learning more about maintenance and increasing performance.

WillTDI17

TDI
Airbag reset

I'm new to forums, but have been working working on cars my whole life. I have a 2004 VW Jetta TDI & a 1998 Golf. My question for now is about my 98 Golf 2.0. I bought it wrecked with the airbags deployed. I've replaced all the body panels, radiator, condenser, core support, both airbags & the srs airbag control module under the center console. Without a vag-com is there anyway to reset the light on the dash & the warning sound? I'm taking this car to a state patrol inspection on Wednesday so I'm looking for any help I can get. As soon as I finish this car I'm moving on to my TDI. Reverse is out of it. Thanks in advance to anyone that has advice. Thanks

Revhigher

TDI
1981 Dasher w/quantum TDI
Hello thank you for this great community and wealth of knowledge. As I am a newbie I hope I don't get laughed at too much for any stupid questions I may ask. I have an on going beast of a project car it's a 1981 dasher with a 1.6 turbo diesel provided by a 1983 quantum and a 5 steed donated by a 1987 fox. It was the only way to preserve some of each car. I have put about 2500 miles on it and all but 1 bug is worked out. I cannot seem to find a way to make the speedometer read correctly any advice will be greatly appreciated.

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello everyone from East Tennessee. I just picked up a 2006 Jetta TDI with 209,000 miles on it last night for my son to take to college in the fall. I've owned an F250 with the 7.3L Turbo Diesel before but this is my first experience with a Volkswagen TDI.

I'm aware of some of the issues that plague this model (this car seems to have most of them) and I'm sure I will be taking full advantage of the search feature to find troubleshooting and quick fix help. The car seems to run well but I will be keeping a close eye on the cam and replacing it at the first sign of trouble. The timing belt is due for replacement and I'm debating whether to do it myself or farm it out. I have the mechanical ability but I don't have the special tools. Also, I've gotten a bit lazy in my old age. I am planning to change the oil and fuel filter myself so I can show my son how to do it. I should probably show him how to change a tire too while I'm at it.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
I have had to put the spare on ours no fewer than 3 times through 100k of ownership, so it is an invaluable skill, haha. The TDIs may have their quirks, but at least you didn't buy a BMW! ;)

Welcome and best of luck with the TDI!

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have had to put the spare on ours no fewer than 3 times through 100k of ownership, so it is an invaluable skill, haha. The TDIs may have their quirks, but at least you didn't buy a BMW! ;)

Welcome and best of luck with the TDI!
Ha! :) I think the BMW was too nice. LOL!

I showed him how to change the oil yesterday. I guess we should have changed a tire while we had the front end jacked up.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Jegs makes a nice cheap torque wrench. That will get him started!

I do like my e46... even if it is a little slow... I guess the stage II tune on the TDI spoiled me!

2002 Jetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
newbie~ engine starts hard in the cold

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm in the right spot. I own a 2002 white Jetta with tan interior. Just past 200,000 miles. Bought it new and it has never let me down.
Here's my problem:
the engine always fired with the first hit of the key. Been like that 99% of the time. lately it has been hard to start when the engine and outside temp are cold. I had an aftermarket heater installed (frost?) which helped immensely.
I finally had to address the problem of cold hard start and had the battery,glow plugs, glow plug harness, fuel injectors, fuel pump and timing belt changed. But I'm still having problems. In Michigan this is an issue as it's cold more than its warm.
Any other ideas of what it could be?
thanks
Marce

Elijahpark

TDI
Passat wagon
Passat TDI need selling advice (NOT getting out of Diesels!)

So my farm truck's transmission went out. MUST have it. So I put my 2005 TDI Passat wagon for sale to pay for it. It had a occasional check engine light flash on with a torque converter code. No surprise, I'd felt the vibration in park. Typical issue for this auto trans. I priced it a bit below or going value of $6k and fully disclosed mechanic's info.

However.... I had it serviced by the dealership prior to offering it for sale. The fluid reservoir developed a slow leak it never had before. I'd think they bumped something, but can't find what. And the transmission started slipping. Great. That's not torque probably. Up inclines it goes in a lower gear and slower, revs a bit getting into gear, pump? Either way, new tranny needed I'm guessing.

I'd like to just sell it as is to a DIY'er who understands the value of these great engines. All I am getting is people trying to get me to sell it for nothing or trying to get me to buy vehicle reports and/or get my credit card info.

So where should I be advertising besides Craigslist? And plan B, what do I need to know besides general mechanical knowledge before I try to put a rebuild tranny in myself?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
So my farm truck's transmission went out. MUST have it. So I put my 2005 TDI Passat wagon for sale to pay for it. It had a occasional check engine light flash on with a torque converter code.

No surprise, I'd felt the vibration in park. Typical issue for this auto trans. I priced it a bit below or going value of $6k and fully disclosed mechanic's info.

However.... I had it serviced by the dealership prior to offering it for sale. The fluid reservoir developed a slow leak it never had before. I'd think they bumped something, but can't find what. And the transmission started slipping. Great. That's not torque probably.

Up inclines it goes in a lower gear and slower, revs a bit getting into gear, pump? Either way, new tranny needed I'm guessing.

I'd like to just sell it as is to a DIY'er who understands the value of these great engines.

All I am getting is people trying to get me to sell it for nothing or trying to get me to buy vehicle reports and/or get my credit card info.

So where should I be advertising besides Craigslist? And plan B, what do I need to know besides general mechanical knowledge before I try to put a rebuild tranny in myself?

Only judging from the horror stories here on TDICLUB, VW TDi units can cost a New York running ton for repairs :mad:

If you can do it yourself, great

But, Looking only at the list of "parts" in order to fix it, you are wasting any efforts. Don't forget the cost of "tools."

You own a money pit -- Sorry -- :)

TDIrty

TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 JSW (sold)
I'll get right to my introduction and consider reading the first 266 pages of this thread some other time. I'll start by saying that I have lurked around these forums as a guest for years which was a major factor in buying a TDI in the first place.

I can't believe this username wasn't taken already!! I considered making it my license plate on my '14 JSW after the dieselgate but decided to buyback instead. I'm now the proud owner of an '03 Golf that I picked up for practically nothing with 100k miles. It was due for the timing belt so I took it in just to find that the intercooler was busted and the turbo was almost there.

Best... News... Ever...

It's easy to justify (to my wife) a couple thousand in upgrades when I paid so little for the car. Parts research gave me the chance to talk with some amazing people in the community and I look forward to learning more.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll get right to my introduction and consider reading the first 266 pages of this thread some other time. I'll start by saying that I have lurked around these forums as a guest for years which was a major factor in buying a TDI in the first place.
I can't believe this username wasn't taken already!! I considered making it my license plate on my '14 JSW after the dieselgate but decided to buyback instead. I'm now the proud owner of an '03 Golf that I picked up for practically nothing with 100k miles. It was due for the timing belt so I took it in just to find that the intercooler was busted and the turbo was almost there.
Best... News... Ever...
It's easy to justify (to my wife) a couple thousand in upgrades when I paid so little for the car. Parts research gave me the chance to talk with some amazing people in the community and I look forward to learning more.
Haha, indeed a clever name! I have thought about looking for an older TDI too, but truth be told it may not ever happen... Hope the 03 treats you well after you get it fixed up!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'll get right to my introduction and consider reading the first 266 pages of this thread some other time.
If you modify your preferences to 100 posts per page, then this is only page 40. But if you have a very slow internet connection, then you probably would not want to do that.

NorthVan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi: 2014 Touareg TDi

I have a 2014 Touareg TDI Execline with R Package, bought it August 2016. I just traded in my 2011 GTI and my wife's 07 MDX in on a new 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI Highline.

artdeco42

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI

Best... News... Ever...

Great choice, those 2003 Golf TDI's are the best ! (that's what I have too)

Except mine's an automatic that I am ordering a six speed for this weekend...

I'm new here too, welcome.

rbatt2

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium DSG
New member from Southeast Michigan here and took delivery of a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium this past Monday. It marked a return to the VW family for me after a 25 year absence having previously owned a 1987 Jetta, 1987 Scirocco 16v and 1990 Passat GL.

Mannyfester

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
TDI Lover

I put 360K on my 2002 Jetta TDI 5-speed manual transmission before I begrudgingly sold it.

I ended up with a 2005 Passat Diesel automatic that just got rear ended and the insurance company wants to total it and I am negotiating a price, but I want to salvage and fix the car bc I love the power of the engine.

I also am one of the lucky people that is able to get his hands on a 2015 manual 6 speed gold sport wagon S TDI.

I am looking to figure out the best place to order parts online.

I am also looking for a the best guides for DIY TDI stuff.

I am also looking for a place to find little mods for my new TDI to make it unique.

I look forward to learning more about my cars in this group!

Thanks for welcoming me to the community

dayunbao

TDI
2000 Beetle Manual Transmission
Hi,

I've been referencing this site more and more since I began working on my Beetle. So, I thought I'd join.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I too was a lurker before I joined and I have been here many years; I am still learning things about the ALH TDI's, but what impresses me the most is the "never die" of the majority of TDI owners whether it be ALH or otherwise.

Shadownmss

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
New 2015 Golf Sportswagen TDI Owner

So I found my way into a Golf Sportswagen TDI in SE trim after a Walmart oil change went horribly wrong. It was one of the cars that got held up in the emission scandal and was just released for sale. So it was "new" with almost 6K off the sticker price and 0% financing. I have been driving sub 20K Japanese and Korean imports most of my life. This car was a major step up in driving experience. I wish I had purchased a VW Diesel 10 years ago. I really love this car.

TX Smoke

TDI
2003 Beetle
Howdy,

Just poking around looking for answers. Got a 03 Beetle with a 5 speed for my son, we're going to work out all the issues and then maybe add a little power and some custom touches for him. Fun little car, I'm enjoying it while waits on his license and hopefully once he's got some sweat equity in he'll no feel the need to work on being the next great rally driver.

billc508

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
Newbie signing in

Thanks, I have found these forums very helpful over time. I noticed the thread about not changing oil sooner than 5K. Recently I was able to buy one of the 2015 sportwagen tdi golf models that had been in storage at a dealer since the stop work order. They had made some adjustment to the software that complied with the fix required for these cars. The dealer had done some prep after taking it out of storage which included changing the oil, they put in the typical Castrol 5w30 which they all carry. I ran the car in for the first 900 miles and dropped it so I could run the 5w40wt that I have always preferred. Call it superstition I guess but it makes me more comfortable and the original break in oil was already gone so no benefit there. Car runs well and I think this will be a good deal. I use the Shell Rotell T6 which has seemed to work out fine.