Should I buy?

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Like others, my local dealership has started selling "phase 1"-fixed NOS 2015 Golf SportWagen TDIs. I currently have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T, with about 146k on the clock, and I love it. I used to also have a 2006 Jetta TDI w/ DSG, and I loved it too.
I'm thinking of trading my Jetta for my dream car, which is that very SportWagen TDI that is now for sale. But:
- I wonder how the 2018 "phase 2" fix will affect the car: Will I still love it after the fix?
- Similar to the first item: My Jetta is in great shape (I take excellent care of a car); I wonder how well the TDI will hold up after the fixes?
- I don't really want another car loan (I currently have no car loans, but they are offering 0% for 60 months)
I wonder how much they will bargain on this car. I saw the Jalopnik report about people getting them for under $19k, but I'm sure those were manual S models. The one I'm looking at is a DSG SE model. If my net is under $20k, I think it's worth doing. If my net is north of $20k, I don't think it makes sense even though this is my dream car and it probably won't be sold again.
Other pros of trading:
- My wife can't drive my manual Jetta today; she could drive the DSG (duh, it's an auto), so that would be 2 vehicles she could drive, vs 1 today
- It would be a 2nd vehicle that would fit our entire family of 5 (hers is a Honda Odyssey)
- It would be a 2nd vehicle that could haul stuff (my MK4 Jetta sedan is very small)
Anything else I should consider here, as I make this decision?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Similar to the first item: My Jetta is in great shape (I take excellent care of a car); I wonder how well the TDI will hold up after the fixes?
Who can say or sure, but you get a world class 11(?) year warranty.

I wonder how much they will bargain on this car. I saw the Jalopnik report about people getting them for under $19k, but I'm sure those were manual S models. The one I'm looking at is a DSG SE model.

Offer what your want to pay ~~ might start at 'bout $1,500 under your comfort zone and work up a small amount at each bump

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Who can say or sure, but you get a world class 11(?) year warranty.
Thanks, yeah, I saw that they now have an excellent warranty on much of the car.
Offer what your want to pay ~~ might start at 'bout $1,500 under your comfort zone and work up a small amount at each bump
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm afraid that my comfort zone is well below what they will sell for, but I'm going to try.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Don't wait long!

All of the SE and SEL models are going fast. I just bought an SE without the light package. I will miss the light package I currently have.

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
All of the SE and SEL models are going fast. I just bought an SE without the light package. I will miss the light package I currently have.
No kidding. A few days ago, I test drove a silver/black SE. It sold yesterday. Last night I saw a silver/black SEL; it sold today.

Oh well. I'm not going to be able to buy: I can't afford what they're going for. My 1.8T is plenty good enough, but it's no TDI.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Latest 'fixed' Golf SportWagen TDIs are rare and in high demand probably. Prepare to pay premium $$$ for them.

I wonder how the cargo space of the upcoming Cruze hatchback will compare to the 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
The Cruze diesel will be available in a few months, but expect to pay at least $25k for one. If VW returns to the diesel market, their prices will be in the same range or higher. So if you want a diesel car, best to grab one now at $5k off the usual price!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
A black 6MT 2015 NEW Passat TDI

Yes,
These fixed vehicles are showing up. They'll disappear quickly. I guess it really just depends on whether you want a TDI or not. Here's one in Salina.
https://lawrence.craigslist.org/cto/6097862488.html

Voice command recognition, full handsfree bluetooth phone operations, quiet and odorless clean diesel, 800+ miles range (900 even). Wider stance and better suspension than old TDIs. You won't find the convenience features or ride quality in any used pre CR TDI. All for $22645, new?!

Happy with my '03 Jetta wagon, but nice price on this fixed Passat. This engine/transmission combination got me over 50 mpg easily when I owned one. Best FE in a TDI I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
more NEW 2015s available for sale

These are all $5000 OFF MSRP and zero miles. Nice. Now I see a half dozen more at a Kansas City dealership (showing up at Kansas City Craiglist!). There's a red golf, a couple of Passats, and a few Sportwagens. The 6MT manual Passat is gone, probably sold quickly. Looks like these are all DSG.

Now I wish that I had waited and not bought a Passat 1.8T

My wife would kill me if I attempted to trade now that I bought an '03 TDI Jetta wagon! Doohh!

I see a banner on the website of one KC area dealership advertising NEW 2015 TDIs, must call them for details. They are NOT listed along with the new inventory online.

Last edited: