Blue smoke at startup

RedRotors

Vendor
TDI
Golk 2k1 TDI / Dodge RAM 94', 2500, 4x4, Cummins
Hi,

I have this problem since a few months, when the car has been parked for more than 45mins ( around ), when i start it, i got a puff of blue smoke at the tail pipe.. If i stop the engine, and restart it within a few mins, nothing..

I think about the valve stem seals.. Good direction? The car is a Golf 2001 5 spds, 80k miles on the clock, was running Ups ( now removed, but the problem is still there ), big injectors, dawes. The car has run at 20psi, spiked at 25 for a while..

Any idea?

Marc/

cage

Top Post Dawg
This is my new answer for everything. I was having various issues finally narrowed it down to the MAF connection. Try unplugging and plugging it in a few times then try it. I know it sounds crazy but start there.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
My car was doing this, I had the valve guides replaced and new valve stem seals. It still does it. I guess it's gotta be the rings then, I don't think i necessarily means they're bad though. And mine only does it when dead cold after an overnight sit (gotta be way more than 45 min)

RedRotors

Vendor
TDI
Golk 2k1 TDI / Dodge RAM 94', 2500, 4x4, Cummins
[ QUOTE ]
My car was doing this, I had the valve guides replaced and new valve stem seals. It still does it. I guess it's gotta be the rings then, I don't think i necessarily means they're bad though. And mine only does it when dead cold after an overnight sit (gotta be way more than 45 min)

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO if it was the rings, the car should smoke all the time, and not just at the startup.. It tell me that it was the valves seals because, when the car is stopped, the oil slowly slip between the seal onthe stem down to the valve, so when you fire the car the oil that has been accumulated for a while, burn and give the blue smoke.. But it's my theory, perhaps im completly in the ditch /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Marc/

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You could be right. I watched this morning as my GF started my car. No puff. I guess I just needed to put a few miles on my re-worked head before things got nice and tight.

A lot of people have indicated that they share your morning blue puff. I don't think it's a big deal, especially considering you've got to pull the head and spend $200 on a valve job to fix it.