Headliner fix

CSM Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta--SOLD
so i've noticed that my headliner is beginning to sag a tiny bit in the rear and was wondering what's the best way to fix this. Is this something that the dealer can handle or do i need to take it to a specialized shop or something?

thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Unless it's under warranty, I'd stay away from a dealer.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, actually, I really didn't want to get into this story. I'll make it short!

I have the same problem in my 1992 Allegro Bay Motor Home ........ ceiling coming down (head liner). So, after contacting dealer, local gurus (not many), fabric shops, wasting some cash on replacement fabric, etc., I have decided to take it down and clean off the "gue" (something like melted sponge/glue) and re-install it.

I guess the $100.00 question is, what type of glue and where do I find it?:confused:

Image 32 feet of ceiling vs about 6 or 7 feet!:D

CSM Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta--SOLD
mmm that's not the answer i wanted to hear haha.

i would think it's just loading glue into a syringe and spraying it between the top and the headliner. I'll call around town and see if i can find someplace to do it cheaply. Like i said it's maybe a section 6"x1.5' that's loose.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Get 3m spray contact cement at home depot 13$ or 15$ a can that would work. might smell for a bit but let the car ventilate for 2-3 hours and all should be good.

Some info

Last edited:

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
CSM Jetta said:
thanks, how would you recommend applying it?
When it happened to me I cut the fabric with a sharp utility knife and brushed out the rotten sponge rubber dust, sprayed the adhesive lightly to the headliner and brushed the fabric up against the headliner and smoothed it out. It was only a short term fix since a few months after that fix an even larger bulge appeared in another area. I suspect that the problem is caused by mold attacking the sponge rubber since I recently also went through that with the speakers in my home sound system literally fell out of their suspension. When I sent for a repair kit I found out that mold was the culprit. The issue with a former car I had started with the fabric on the sun visors getting loose and sagging and within a year the rest of the headliner fabric started to come down. The sponge rubber that the fabric was bonded to had turned to sticky crumbly bits. Good luck with your fix.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
icecap said:
When it happened to me I cut the fabric with a sharp utility knife and brushed out the rotten sponge rubber dust, sprayed the adhesive lightly to the headliner and brushed the fabric up against the headliner and smoothed it out. It was only a short term fix since a few months after that fix an even larger bulge appeared in another area. I suspect that the problem is caused by mold attacking the sponge rubber since I recently also went through that with the speakers in my home sound system literally fell out of their suspension. When I sent for a repair kit I found out that mold was the culprit. The issue with a former car I had started with the fabric on the sun visors getting loose and sagging and within a year the rest of the headliner fabric started to come down. The sponge rubber that the fabric was bonded to had turned to sticky crumbly bits. Good luck with your fix.
That basically describes my RV head liner! I believe heat contributes to the deteriation as well.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And ozone or anything else organic, or especially UV (which you wouldn't get much of under an engine cover or underneath the car's roof). That sponge is a urethane rubber, and when it goes, it goes.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
CSM Jetta said:
thanks, how would you recommend applying it?
Mask properly and spray the nozzle on the can are fairly accurate but get gummed up pretty fast so watch out then follow the directions (drying times) on the can and all should be good ....... well for that part of the headliner at least.