Misfueling - A first...

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
So pulling up to a Pennsylvania station, I see a Jetta in front of me with a rather agitated older woman jamming the nozzle into a fuel port that it obviously doesn't fit. I look at the pump, "Diesel". I look at the badge on the car "2.5".

"Lady!" I yells, "That's diesel!". Doesn't even glance up. Tries it a few more times then slams the diesel nozzle back and grabs the gas nozzle. If only it were that easy to avoid putting gas in a diesel car. And this is why they leave it to the professionals in New Jersey...

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Well I am not really sure the attendants are professionals but at least they do the act of filling cars either gas or diesel more times in a week that I have over 13 years of this TDI ownership.

Trained well .................................

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The employees will say trained well or even well trained...

The public might not agree.

OntarioVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta highline
One of my friends got fired from a gas attendant job for filling a brand new diesel Chevy 2500 with gas on his first day of work... We still bug him about it two years later :p

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
There are still gas stations were people fill your cars up for you?? Cant say I have been to one in WI

Having a diesel, that would scare me, I could totally see them putting gas in it.

My station the diesel pumps are on their own island, so less chance of messsing that up.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
There are still gas stations were people fill your cars up for you?? Cant say I have been to one in WI

Having a diesel, that would scare me, I could totally see them putting gas in it.

My station the diesel pumps are on their own island, so less chance of messsing that up.
Two states require it.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
It also used to be fairly common as a premium service - I remember a BP station here in town that offered "full service" as late as the mid 90s. They'd check your oil and wash your windshield while filling too. Of course, you paid a premium of something like 15c/gal for the privilege - and this was when gas was maybe $1.20 to start with.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

I can understand that in WI. where people still can't read. Here In WV we have a lot of stations that will fill your tank and with the right stuff, We even have one over the line in MD that still fills your tank ,washes you windows and checks the oil. Don't know where this country is going to guess we will find out next week.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Why can't all diesel pumps in North America be color coded one same color?
This would require our politicians to actually agree on something. I'm not positive about Canada, but in the US this appears to be mostly impossible. I agree that it would be nice if diesel pumps were required to be a standard size and a standard color, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Have Fun!

Don

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I had a coworker approach me last week for advice. Her 80 year old mother (recently widowed) somehow successfully FILLED up her 2012 Buick with diesel. They had it towed to the dealer (!) before they realized the mother had filled it with diesel, she just picked it up from the dealer the day before for a recall and thought the dealer did something to make the car run poorly. My coworker realized her mother filled it with diesel after the car was towed to the dealer. Her mother commented how dangerous it was to fill up at that station where the nozzle doesn't fit the hole and gas leaks everywhere when you try to fill up :eek:

I advised to be prepared for a voided warranty, and at least a $900 bill. Sure enough the estimate was $800. The next day the dealer called and bumped the total to $2000 for new injectors, etc.

They ok'd the repairs, and as it turns out, State Farm covered the repairs with no out of pocket deductible.

Dealer says the warranty will not be voided. Car has 8000 total miles.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I can understand that in WI. where people still can't read.
That would be the pot calling the kettle black....:rolleyes: I can understand it might be the idiots that protested the capitol but the rest of us can read just fine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet they're out there, perhaps in smaller towns. My 81 year old mother has yet to ever pump her own gasoline.

jasonTDI

TDI
You'll find it in some of the smaller towns but they are far and few between.

jasonTDI

TDI
The last left Madison when Parman's closed in 2009. They were the neighborhood gas/fix it shop in the Monroe St district. (read liberal university neighborhood) Good guys. Just got caught up with the ignorant city and could not afford to "upgrade" the property so it look "correct". Sad really....My best friends parents family home was 3 blocks away. They went there religiously for gas and service (American Cars) His family owned the entire corridor, 2 miles. G-pa was a smart man and bought a lot of land in the teens and 20's.