Darkside developments SMIC install and MAP sensor?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
Hi all, I bought there SMIC with pipes years ago and finally installing it. Their pipes are just not right, they've been great helping me try to make them work, but I'm just going to use the stock pipes. Fitment is really good with them!
But my MAP sensor is of the large size and their IC is for the small size. I'm not sure that I want to drill the IC. I haven't found what size to drill to anyways..
My research leads me to believe that I do have the 3 bar Bosch sensor. Is there such a thing as a small size 3 bar sensor?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yes there is. Mines a small hole 3bar map. Had to get a grommet to fit in my stock SMIC. You could drill it or replace your map. If you do drill it, make extra sure you get it super clean.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
0281002401 038906051C bosch
Map sensor from a 13 beetle appears to be what I need. It's ordered I'll confirm when I receive it.
Is it worth sourcing pipes that will fit? The upper doesn't look very restrictive, but the lower pancake I think would be?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Are you referring the long, skinny factory pipe? I got a pancake pipe from a 1.8T car and used that one instead of the minimal cross section factory pipe. It may help, it may not...

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'm leaving the factory pipes. I have some other issues to sort out. But the MAP from the beetle appears to be working.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have a Vnt17 with a tune you need a 3 bar map.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
Borg Warner S7 turbo. The kerma 165whp kit. Supposedly tuned, but I'm not seeing it. I've had a lot of problems with kerma. Currently max boost is 16 and for some reason 5in/hg at idle.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are you measuring the vacuum? After the n75 or at the vac pump?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
Torque app with OBD 2 Adapter. I was never able to get VCDS to connect. Before the tune and only a couple hundred miles ago it was 22 and 12 respectively. So, wherever the ECU measures it from.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is no vacuum sensor on these cars. The only way to measure it is with a gauge. As for the boost measurement, it's with the MAP sensor in the charge air cooler, but it also measure atmospheric pressure so you'll need to account for that.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
That contradicts my finds. 22 and 12 seemed correct to me, nothing changed but the kerma tune that was installed, and the shop my car was at told me that he adjusted my injection pump timing.
Car is still only throwing the EGR code. 80-100 miles a day and will fill up over the weekend and check my mileage.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
The torque app does not monitor the correct PID for boost so those numbers are probably not accurate or the tune is not calibrated for the MAP sensor.