Did VW do anything to preserve remaining fuel while stored?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So this ? has been sitting on my mind before and after the purchase of my '12.

Did VW do anything to stabilize/preserve any remaining fuel in the tank before the dieselgate buybacks sat for 1-2 years? During my test drive I noticed the car sat at ~1/2 tank, I know most dealers keep the minimum possible fuel in their cars unless it is a trade-in that may have more than a nearly empty tank.

After my purchase the dealer filled it from what appears to be a decent and clean BP station a few blocks up the road so worst case scenario I had 1/2 tank of fresh fuel. I ran a dose of Power Service Clear Diesel that is supposed to clean slime and remove water, thinking back I wish I had not in the case the tank was full of junk and I end up plugging the fresh fuel filter the dealer installed.

Anyhow - ran the car down to just under 1/2 and filled up from a nearly brand new QuikTrip and did a recommended dose of PS Silver bottle (underdosed slightly) so if the car had stale diesel from storage it should be mostly gone at this point.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
My car had 5 HPFP since the purchase on Aug 2018 and yesterday they found out that there are possibly mold in my tank so they will be pulling the tank out today. They were blaming me for the cause of 5 HPFP. I said nope she sat for 2 years, they stopped right there. So I know its not my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Damn. I'd get rid of the car after it stranded me a few times. Too many headaches.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, she was the nicest one I could find and now they dropped tank and confirmed its mold in there so they covered it and will order a lot parts. I asked what parts exactly. Hopefully tank and all fuel lines and hpfp.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wow - that is a lot of HPFPs to mow through.

I am crossing my fingers that my tank is not sludgy. Have not done any biocides, just the "Clear Diesel" so far. Maybe I will run a quick dose of biocide right before a fuel filter change.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
When I bought my 2012, it had sat long enough on one of the D-gate storage lots that the dealership flushed and cleaned the tank, and replaced the fuel filter prior to putting it up for sale on their lot. I also insisted they put a new battery in, and they did.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The selling dealer replaced the fuel filter but the invoice they showed me of all the CPO maintenance items did not indicate anything beyond that.

They were kinda shady in that the warranty items I am working on now they told me to deal with under warranty instead of having them corrected before purchase so I highly doubt they did anything above and beyond what was required to CPO the car - kinda wondering if they just generated a fake invoice to CPO the car and the real possibility they actually didn't do any maintenance on the car.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep shame on VW. Now my 2015 passat invoice said rotors and pads are new and i got her at 20k and now 44k, rotors being scored. What the.....

Now I am beginning to wonder.....

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep shame on VW. Now my 2015 passat invoice said rotors and pads are new and i got her at 20k and now 44k, rotors being scored. What the.....

Now I am beginning to wonder.....

I wouldn't really say shame on VWoA - mainly on the dealer. Took it to a dealer closer to me (my selling dealer is a 30+ minute haul away) and they bent over backwards for me on the diagnosis, super apologetic and did not fight me on anything. Complete opposite of my experience back in '03-'08 when they fought warranty items like it was their job.

Have this feeling that TDI owners are all getting the red carpet treatment. Wonder if the EPA has mystery/secret shoppers out there and VW doesn't want to F it up again.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Have this feeling that TDI owners are all getting the red carpet treatment. Wonder if the EPA has mystery/secret shoppers out there and VW doesn't want to F it up again.
Experiences vary. I've had the red carpet and I've gotten the get stuffed attitude. Just today I had a ridiculous conversation from a supervisor at VW Care.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Every interaction i ever had with vw dont care, convinced me they exist for one reason, to steer you to the local dealer.

period.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
The local dealers aren't any good either. I was stranded due to a mechanics blunder from when they did the dealer repairs. They acted like they cared less about the whole situation and the fact of my monetary losses. If the dealer can't even do a successful oil change, how am I supposed to trust them with anything else?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Better off doing it yourself for simple jobs like oil changes and such. Anything major...... dealership or your own local trusty shop.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
no vw didn't do anything to preserve all the tdi's that sat for two years. Mine sat in the desert in socal for two years. When i replaced the filter it looked normal and i haven't had any issues after 5k miles of driving it. Other then the irritating transmission stock tune, it drives fine and similar to our 13 passat tdi that was bought back

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Lucky you. I wasnt so lucky.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
kinda wondering if they just generated a fake invoice to CPO the car and the real possibility they actually didn't do any maintenance on the car.
Interesting you say that. I am a records keeping fool. Of course I required all VW records especially all from their dealership. The weird thing in conflict is Carfax says the dealership bought the car years ago. The dealer denied this.

???

I know the 9 million point checklist was obviously blown thru by whoever. It looked like it was one constant checked assembly line. Not only that but the "checked" A/C didn't work. The "checked" battery died on my 1st morning start. (their accompanying work order stated they had to jump the battery) And to top that my 1st 100 mile trip I found my ooil drain bolt 4 turns out (after detecting smoke late @ night driving home w/ 2 grandkids) Only as good as the tech. doing the job obviously. Oh well love the car