Plastic Spirals in Drained Manual Transmission Oil

jojofive9

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
First, I would just say thanks to everyone that posts here, I've gotten alot out of what I've read here over the years.

So, the first thing I've encountered here that I can't find any information on: yesterday I finally got around to draining my manual transmission fluid in a 2002 Jetta TDI and noticed that quite a few spirals of plastic had been discharged along with a pretty foul smelling oil. I wish I had a photo here to send but somehow it got thrown out since, but they aren't too dissimilar to a twist tie or a wood shaving, curled up. Initially, I thought it was metal, but looking closer and testing it for magnetism and then that it burns, realized it was plastic. So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be or if it spells certain disaster for my trusted steed here(?). I thought the manual transmission was made entirely of various metals, but the one related thread I came across seemed to suggest there might also be some nylon pieces in there...

Anyway, the only other context I can give that might be related is that the clutch inspection cap had been off for a long time before I noticed it (I imagine) and replaced it, and I also recently needed to replace the shifter bushing. Otherwise, it runs great, has no problems shifting or otherwise.

Alright then, thanks for reading, appreciate any help.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Are you saying it smells worse than normal gear oil?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Are you saying it smells worse than normal gear oil?

I got to admit, I kinda like the smell of transmission oil. Getting that **** all over me is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I got to admit, I kinda like the smell of transmission oil. Getting that **** all over me is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it's more love hate smell for me...any yes I hate it when you pull clothes from the dryer and smell bounce and gear oil...so much fun...but sometimes it's a welcome smell

jojofive9

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the VSS suggestion, much appreciated. I'll have a look at that soon here and report back, although it could be some weeks/months. Maybe it's on the way out since I don't see any other symptoms of failure (fluctuating fuel level, issues with power on initial accelleration, cruise control power issues, as I understand them).

As for the smell, I can only say it wasn't great and, when I burned the plastic to test what it was, gave me a smell not unlike the oil itself so..but maybe it just smells burned like that all the time, certainly was worse than what I replaced it with.