One map light not working...

Daysul

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
A few weeks ago the drives side map light quit working on me, and I just figured that the bulb burnt out. I finally got some replacements, but it still doesn't work. Thinking maybe I had a faulty bulb, I swapped it with the passenger map light, and the bulb works. That got me thinking that I wasn't getting power so I got my DMM out, i can see 12v on the plug so that isn't the issue.
Anyone have any advice?
2003 Golf, Thanks!

Edit: I can see 12v on the light socket. I also flipped the light in case the polarity was backwards.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Did you insert the bulb holder and check where the pins go into the socket? Sounds like a bad socket unless the switch is dirty...have you tried cycling the map light button a bunch of times to see if it'll come back on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Daysul

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
Did you insert the bulb holder and check where the pins go into the socket? Sounds like a bad socket unless the switch is dirty...have you tried cycling the map light button a bunch of times to see if it'll come back on?

I could see 12v on the light socket itself, which makes me think the socket itself isn't bad. I pressed it a few times.... I even fully removed the panel to ensure that there wasn't a broken solder/connection. I noticed that the switch itself is soldered onto the circuit board, can this switch be purchased separately? or do i have to replace the entire panel?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I could see 12v on the light socket itself, which makes me think the socket itself isn't bad. I pressed it a few times.... I even fully removed the panel to ensure that there wasn't a broken solder/connection. I noticed that the switch itself is soldered onto the circuit board, can this switch be purchased separately? or do i have to replace the entire panel?
I've noticed that my map light switches are really finicky. If I press them too hard the light comes on then goes off, if I press them until the button bottoms out. It kind of acts like a momentary switch that locks in place. There is a happy medium where the connection is made.

I'd be willing to bet that your map button isn't closing the circuit.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I'd like to know about buying also, I usually take as many as I can find for parts or if they all work...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Those switches can just wear out, my first MKIV did that, swapped another unit in, and all was well.