More HP

yaro0321

TDI
2004 JETTA 1.9L TURDO DIESEL
Have a 04” Jetta tdi, auto. Looking to get a little more horsepower and torque. I heard putting on a catbak system, better spark plugs, high flow catalytic converters, changing the stock cold air intake to open intake. And also a descently loudER bov? Any suggestions on quality without busting the bank.
Thanks in advance!!!!
P.s I’m not looking to race it lol just live In a city where being quicker is key to getting to work on time! And yes I do wake up earlier...

Thanks again!!!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
They don't have spark plugs... They have glow plugs. You may want to familiarize yourself with your engine a bit more.

If you're looking for a bit more oompf, you can look at contacting a dealer who can install a stage 1 tune for you. I don't think it requires any hardware change.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
So diesels don't have spark plugs.

No bov either...the turbo makes boost based strictly on the speed of the turbine inside the turbo.

I'll let some others chime in on the next aspect

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yaro0321

TDI
Well I look stupid lol. Yea I’m not a big car guy. Just love my Jetta...
Thanks for all the advice!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
We all love our TDIs!
Here's some advice. Hear me now and believe me later:
ONLY use a trusted mechanic. Or read/ask questions here BEFore trying any repairs yourself. these cars are really rare in the US. Hardly any SAE guys give a crap about them let alone know how to properly care for them. Even a well-meaning mechanic can destroy your car by not knowing their quirks. e.g., runaway caused by mechanich who didn't know to drain the intercooler. Engine hydrolocked and burnt and bent.
And I'm dead serious - if they are not on this list don't even let them touch your car.
Trusted TDI Mechanics

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I look stupid lol. Yea I’m not a big car guy. Just love my Jetta...
Thanks for all the advice!
Welcome to the forum, learning starts somewhere and you're in the right place...

As previously mentioned, we love these cars and you have tapped into more knowledge than you can fathom. I love a good puzzle myself.

Love for these cars is a key...the rest will come in time.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Also not to discourage you, there are a few mods to get more juice out of your TDI but the cost escalates quickly as the power increases. If you love torque and fuel efficiency you're in the right car

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The nice thing about the engine you have is, getting just a tune will make a huge difference in performance. If you want more power than just a tune can provide, you need a big, fat, wallet.

yaro0321

TDI
I appreciate everything you guys said and will take into consideration all the options.

Thanks!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I have a 2005 TDI wagon with the same engine. I got just the Malone Stage 1.5 tune and it made a big improvement. According to the Malone website, it's a 30% increase in HP and Torque. Cost was quite reasonable. It's the only modification I have on my wagon and I am happy with it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Have a 04” Jetta tdi, auto. Looking to get a little more horsepower and torque. I heard putting on a catbak system, better spark plugs, high flow catalytic converters, changing the stock cold air intake to open intake. And also a descently loudER bov? Any suggestions on quality without busting the bank.
Thanks in advance!!!!
P.s I’m not looking to race it lol just live In a city where being quicker is key to getting to work on time! And yes I do wake up earlier...
Thanks again!!!!
everything you just said is the worst advice in the universe and mostly is 100% incorrect. Tell whoever told you this to go eat S!ht pies for trolling you this bad.
My suggestion is to crawl back to the troll cave once you came. And if you are seriously this clueless about diesel, please, read up here, the forums here might be a bit slow compared to redit but the knowledge here is about everything you need to know about TDI's.

TLDR, No, just no to everything you said. tune is the path to travel, small steps.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
everything you just said is the worst advice in the universe and mostly is 100% incorrect. Tell whoever told you this to go eat S!ht pies for trolling you this bad.
My suggestion is to crawl back to the troll cave once you came. And if you are seriously this clueless about diesel, please, read up here, the forums here might be a bit slow compared to redit but the knowledge here is about everything you need to know about TDI's.

TLDR, No, just no to everything you said. tune is the path to travel, small steps.
This reminds me of Billy Madison, where Adam Sandler starts talking about the boy who lost his way...he said a simple no would have worked...lol

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Stupid questions get stupid answers. OP clearly cant even Google power mods for his car or take the time that we have to read up on the subject.
Also, take your hippy drugs and stuff it. Only smoking I will do is rolling coal.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Mongler, is cannabis legal in your state yet? Because dude you really need a toke or two lol!

I about fell off the chair I was laughing so hard !!:D