FS: White 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI w/6 speed conversion in Iowa

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Car is sold

I can’t believe I’m selling this car.

Selling my 2003 White/Tan TDI Wagon (GLS) with 6 speed manual conversion with full maintenance history since new. Overall this car is in great condition at ~168k miles – you won’t find many like it. I consider it a bit of a unicorn due to the color combo, year, and 6 speed conversion. Those who know this car know that the ALH is a highly regarded engine, and this is the newest model year you can get it in.

Details:
2003 ALH Wagon (GLS)
6-speed manual (O2M) transmission (41k miles on new clutch/flywheel)
DLC 520 injectors bought/balanced from DBW
HID lights (I bought an aftermarket housing and put in my own lights)
FrostHeater & Oil Pan Heater installed
DieselGeek Skid plate with metal side-skirts
Full weather-tech floor mats (front floors, rear seat floors, cargo area)
Original floor mats (good condition, but I stole the clips from the driver’s side rear mat to hold the driver weathertech mat down)
Magnetic oil drain plug
New tires May 2017 (less than 15k miles)
USB charging mod shown here
Full maintenance history since new (!!!!) – dealer maintained to 127k then by me since then
Original manual, radio code, window sticker, etc
Not smoked in, ever.

Comes with a full set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires on stock (Monterey) wheels. These wheels are not in good condition, but they work fine. Snow tires probably have 1 or 2 winters left.

I am the second owner – I bought the car from the original owner with ~127k miles in January 2013. I bought it sight unseen within a few hours of it getting listed at the dealership it was traded in to – the dealer subsequently got dozens of calls on it. It was in near-perfect condition. I had the car in El Paso for a year, then Alaska for 3 years, and now Iowa for the past two. In Alaska I always used the frost/oil heater – I had electricity included with my housing so I always kept the thing warm for starting!

It had an auto that was doing pretty well, but I knew before I bought it that I was going to put a 6 speed into it. I ordered the kit from RyanP (in the UK) and installed it from Jan-Feb 2013. I used a new clutch and new single mass flywheel and updated all the computer stuff so that cruise and speedo work perfectly (no fault lights). I also replaced the rear main seal at the time (it wasn’t leaking, but I was already there and had done them before so I knew I could do it right). After completing the transmission swap, I also did the timing belt and related components and marked the flywheel at TDC.

Besides the stuff mentioned above, the rest of this vehicle is stock and unmodified. Wheels and interior are in great condition.

Having said all that, there are some things that I’d want to know if I were going to buy it/look at it:
• Overall the body/paint is really good. There is a small dent on the upper part of the passenger door. Carfax or similar will show an accident in late 2018 from getting rear-ended – this was very very low speed and only scratched the rear bumper (Long line of cars stopped at a stop light, and the car behind me started going before it was green and tapped me).
• The transmission is great, but shifting is a little notchy when it’s cold. Once it’s warmed up it’s fine. Ist to 2nd is the worst shift – I think some of the syncros are bad. I also have this opinion after driving the 5 speed in my previous Jetta which was buttery smooth – I think all O2Ms are a little notchier.
• While the timing belt is doing fine by miles (41k), it is getting up there in age to where the buyer should consider having it replaced
• The new tires are low rolling resistance and cause the car to wander a bit back and forth on grooved concrete roads. This doesn’t happen with the snow tires, didn’t happen with the previous set of tires, and doesn’t happen on anything but grooved roads. I replaced the rear axle bushings and then front LCAs to make sure it wasn’t suspension-related.
• Rear windshield washer nozzle does not spray fluid. I’ve never tried to figure out where the line is clogged.
• Driver’s seat heater should be considered not working. It seems to have a short in it, as it gets VERY hot in one spot when I turn it on. It’s never burned through the seat or anything, but I don’t trust it anymore and haven’t used it in a couple of years.
• Headlights covers are starting to yellow. Buyer will get brand new covers with the car that they can use to swap onto them. I had glass covers previously, but they cracked and I put plastic ones back on.
• Driver’s side door switch is intermittent (the one that tells the car that the door is open). The handle/latch work perfectly
• Passenger side door handle requires a double-pull when cold. The first pull on the handle opens the door but it catches, then a second pull opens it the rest of the way. I don’t know what causes this but it’s done it for several years now.
• Normal paint chips/condition for a car that’s 16 years old and has 167k miles
• Headliner is doing very well, but sags just a bit around the sunroof control area
• Soft-touch interior is in the expected condition for an A4.

Buyer will get a bunch of new ALH parts that I’ve accumulated but not used over the years. Some of these include:
Fully (professionally) cleaned intake ready to put on the car
Intake manifold gasket kit
2-volume hardcover Bentley manual set
Brand new plastic headlight covers
New alternator pulley
Euro headlight switch with fog lights
Relays 109 and 175 (new)
Fuel filters
Glow plug
Used lug nuts
Misc new bolts/hardware

If the buyer wants to buy them, I will also be selling my timing belt tools and RossTech VCDS cable.

Here is the maintenance log. When I got the car and had all of the dealer service history, I entered it into this spreadsheet (but also kept the paper dealer records which will go with the car).

You won’t find many ALH wagons like this. I said I would keep it forever, but after a few years of having 4 kids now we’ve decided we want a second vehicle that is a little bigger and can also hold our whole family. I love this car and can’t believe I’m actually going to sell it.

Sold Cash/certified check only. PM here or text me at *removed* if interested. Full photo album here.

Clean TEXAS title in hand. I’m active-duty Army and have Texas residency, but currently stationed in Iowa City. My original thread about the car.

Last edited:

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Interesting car and price seems fair
GLWS
Thanks for your service
Thanks! It's not perfect, but it's been really solid for me. It was nearly perfect when I got it...but miles and young children are hard on cars!
Just dont hit that big brake pedal when going for clutch :)
Ha! I never got around to switching it. If you look in the parts photo, the manual brake pedal is included -- I just never got around to cutting the brake pedal down to size.
I wear a size 11.5 shoe and have only ONCE, at low speed, caught the edge of the brake pedal on accident. :p

YoungDieselstein

Veteran Member
Orem, UT (Formerly San Diego, CA and Clarksville,
TDI
Ferdinand "Ferdie" The Wagon: 2003 Jetta Wagon, Reflex Silver. RIP 3/2019
Was thinking about shelling out to upgrade for a 2014 buyback Sportwagen... Then I made the mistake of looking here.

We just lost our '03 wagon to 2 inches of slush on a bad road.. and rolling over after meeting that slush.

Now I'm thinking of saving some money and going this route.
I'm going to talk to my wife about it tomorrow.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I'd roll it! Too bad I just bought another Jetta...gotta refill the coffers.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Quite a bit of interest locally, but I still have the car. Price adjustment for club members.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Wow, nice sharp clean car. Don't budge on price, well worth what you have it listed for.
Thanks -- pretty sure I could have held out for a higher price locally, but happy that it will be going to a club member who will appreciate it more. Car is pending.

Car is back up for sale due to buyer backing out.

Still a little surprised that I'm selling the car and ending an a4/tdi era for myself...feels like I have so much wasted knowledge about these cars now....:confused::confused:

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
...feels like I have so much wasted knowledge about these cars now....:confused::confused:
Its only wasted if you leave us and don't continue on the forum. There's quite a few members still around with no TDI.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Its only wasted if you leave us and don't continue on the forum. There's quite a few members still around with no TDI.
What jdswan said..!
Oh -- I didn't mean to convey that I have a large amount of knowledge about these cars relative to those on this forum! Just meant that I understood the car well, if something wrong I generally had an idea what to expect or check, and over the years have fixed a lot of different things on these cars. Relative to a different car, or relative to the average person, I feel like I have a lot of A4 TDI knowledge! But, I don't necessarily have much to add to the discussions here.

Having said that, it's always fun to browse the forums!

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Bumping back to the top -- a club member said he'd buy it but then didn't show at the agreed time and stopped answering my calls/texts/PMs.

So, back up for sale!

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Bump -- car is still for sale! I'm a little surprised as I had two people ready to buy it a couple of weeks ago but no one has even come to look at it!

Edit - pending sale

Last edited:

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Pending pick up — first two guys were a no-show, but this one seems like it will move forward.

Edit: Car is sold...to another club member and a great guy! Seems like it went to a good home. Sad to see it go, but glad it will stay in the club.

Last edited: