Need to replace gearbox. Wich ones fit my MK4?

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Hi!
I have to replace my gearbox on a Mk4 Golf 1,9TDI AHF engine and DEA gearbox.

I have looked everywhere and i can't find a DEA gearbox for my car. Can i use a gearbox with another code? I don't want to replace drive axles, shifter mechanism or other accessories. Only if it requires minimal modifications :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Believe you can, but I don't know the AHF set-up. Try shopping for a gear box, see if you can get "the list". You might be able to get the transmission code from the VIN.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
All 02a gearboxes bolt up the same. You'll need to see what your existing trans code is to see what the gear ratios are for each speed, then see what the gear ratios of the replacement box are. I'm not familiar with the GQQ box. If it's out of a gasser vehicle it won't be a good trans for you.

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Did you mean 02J gearbox?
According to this: http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
The GQQ is a 02J, and i believe my DEA is a 02J aswell. But if the only difference is the gear ratio then it will be easy to find a new one.

I found this, that says the DEA is a 02J gearbox aswell. https://workshop-manuals.com/volksw...letters_gearbox_allocation_ratios_capacities/

What about axles and shifter assembly on the box? Are there any major differences there? I believe I can replace the axle-hubs in the gearbox of they are different.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My bad, was really tired when typing that out. Yes 02J boxes are all the same bolt pattern. They made 3 styles of shifter linkage, but if you get a box that's different you can swap yours over to it. The axle flanges should also be the same unless someone swapped them out for automatic or Vr6 flanges.

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Hi again!
I have now got a gearbox for my golf. It's a EUH gearbox that came from a mk4 with an ATD engine. I also got the DMF from the car.

When I compared the parts they are not the same.
The DMF from the donor car are slightly bigger, at least the surface for the clutch disc. The DMF from my car has some kind of "lip" on the outer edge, sp the pressure plate are recessed into the flywheel.

The DMF from my car has about 3,5 teeth of play, but I suspect that the rubber stoppers in it are gone, so it's a bit noisy.

The big question is; Will it be ok to swap the DMF and get a clutch kit that fits the DMF i got with the box? or do I need a DMF that is identical to the one I have on the car already because of where the crank is located? Might be different on the other engine. Both gearboxes look identical, with the same clutch fork and bearing.

Donor car DMF part# 2221005000
My cars cutch disc part# 028 141 038L

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My personal opinion is to either get a brand new DMF, or get a solid flywheel. I installed a used DMF when I first manual swapped my car, it had zero play at the time of install. But it lasted 3 months before it started making noise.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You posted the pictures before I could fully reply haha

The replacement DMF you have on the ground there looks like a standard DMF that I've puled out of a few cars. The one currently on your car I have not seen before. So I can't answer if the friction disc/pressure plate are interchangeable.

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
They are not. The one on the car is a 220mm and after some Googling it looks like the one from the donor is a 230mm.

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
I have now got the gearbox into the car again, and i can confirm that there is no problem with using the DMF i mentioned earlier along with the gearbox. Mounted in just fine.

The question now is how the h**l to i get off the sift tower? I've removed the two 13mm bolts and the one on top of the shifter arm but the thing won't move even a tiny bit. Whacked it with a hammer a few times, but still nothing. I hope I don't need to remove the VW cover plate thingy on the bottom of the box to get it out. Any tips? Or just keep on wiggling it arount until it releases?

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
4 days with driving was all i got. The driveshaft fell out when driving :(
Does anyone have a part number for the curved washers that goes on the driveshaft where it connects to the gearbox? They where missing but i didn't think it mattered. I guess they did anyway.
And torque spec for those bolts?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't know the part number for the curved piece, but the torque is C.V. axle: M8-30ft.lb, M10-59ft.lb

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Thanks! That would be 40nm for us metric guys :p

Found a new gearbox for 80£ so that wasn't so bad. Cracked the gearbox when the axle decided to go crazy down there. What a ****show this car has been!

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Second gearbox in! 3 hours total. Not so bad :)
I have new bolts for the CV-joints on the way in the mail. Hope it's better this time. Didn't find the washers, and it looks like a new joint doesn't come with it either :s

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Moved the washers over to the left side so it have all odd of staying on. Cleaned off the threads on fle flanges on the box and new bolts. Took it for a hard test drive and everything seems to work. Will re-torque the bolts some day just to be sure.

Golf_Force

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9tdi
So the DMF you got from the donor car worked perfectly find on your AHF?

I have got the same issue my old DMF looks like yours and i couldn't find it i have to buy a DMF similar to the 1 you got from the donor car is it gonna work perfect?

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk