Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Obviously every buyer should thoroughly inspect car. Maybe it is because I live california but I looked at several cars at different dealers before I bought one. Some hadn't been touched yet. They all looked and smelled brand new inside. And besides the dirt they looked brand new outside as well. My dealers wash job did suck. And water didn't bead off roof like a brand car. A wax job fixed that. All else looks and feels brand new.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Obviously every buyer should thoroughly inspect car. Maybe it is because I live california but I looked at several cars at different dealers before I bought one. Some hadn't been touched yet. They all looked and smelled brand new inside. And besides the dirt they looked brand new outside as well. My dealers wash job did suck. And water didn't bead off roof like a brand car. A wax job fixed that. All else looks and feels brand new.
Yeah, California certainly has something to do with it. In the Northeast they had snow cleared from them, they were plowed around, etc...

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Yesterday I changed my mind about keeping my 2011 and bought a 2015 Jetta TDI S w/connectivity. Sticker was like $23,825 minus the $5,000. Dealer is in Boise, Idaho. Said they had deposits on all but one Jetta.
Why did I buy at this price instead of waiting? Well, my wife loves our 2011 and wanted one identical-black on black, and a Jetta, not a Golf. The buyback on the 2011 is $17,749, plus $350 from Bosch, and a $974 check from Geico for some kid slamming into the back of the Jetta. So I'm a couple hundred ahead before the inevitable tax, license and dealer fee. The 2011 has almost 94,00 miles and the 2015 has 113 miles. My original intent was to drive the 2011 until totally worn out and not worry about resale, trade-in, etc. Still my plan, but now I have erased almost 94,000 miles and gained 4 years at no cost except TT&L and fees. Plus I have a new car warranty and the better engine. So this deal made sense to me. To each his own, I guess!
I had just bought new tires so will switch them over to keep the aluminum rims from the 2011. The 2015 has steel rims with plastic wheel covers. Yes, it is a cheaper model than the 2011, but we never use the sun roof as my wife has lupus and has to avoid the sun. More and more we use the GPS on our smartphones. Push button start? A gimmick we can do without (by the way, my 1940 Ford, all original, has push button start, too). I wasn't impressed with the fake leather seats in the 2011. In little more than year a hole appeared in the back cushion. I realized my wallet with credit cards in it was so stiff it rubbed through the vinyl. I have since trained myself to keep my wallet in a front pocket-noticed the same thing starting to happen in my other vehicles.
Plus, we now live in western Idaho, close to the Oregon border, so I figure some doped up pothead may crash into and total my 2011 while I'm waiting for a fix that may never happen, and then insurance would likely pay half of VW's buyback offer. Not good!

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Just got an amazing offer on my 2016 Acura ILX along with 6k off MSRP @ 0%... the trade in was what I paid for the Acura 3 months ago (used of course- 3.2% financing loan) rolled it into a $24,545 MSRP @ $18,545 @ 0% and got the tax credit. Wasn't happy with the initial announcement but the dealer really worked with me.

Best bet for everyone is call and be willing to travel, you can score a deal.../

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Just got an amazing offer on my 2016 Acura ILX along with 6k off MSRP @ 0%... the trade in was what I paid for the Acura 3 months ago (used of course- 3.2% financing loan) rolled it into a $24,545 MSRP @ $18,545 @ 0% and got the tax credit. Wasn't happy with the initial announcement but the dealer really worked with me.

Best bet for everyone is call and be willing to travel, you can score a deal.../
Nice, 6K is not easy to get!

What tax credit??

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I thought $6K off was for any Passat? Jettas, Golfs, GSWs, and Beetles are $5K off
Dealers are making this up as the go.

And they are balancing their sales, against the open market results

As a buyer(?) youare free to make up your own say so

$8K(?)
$9K(?)
$10K(?)

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Nice, 6K is not easy to get!
What tax credit??
The tax credit he refers to is trade in value from his Acura being deducted from the sales price of his new TDI. If the Purchase price is say $20,000 and the trade in offer was $15,000, the buyer pays sales tax on $5000.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
If the Purchase price is say $20,000 and the trade in offer was $15,000, the buyer pays sales tax on $5000.
Must be nice. Here in Maryland if the purchase price is say $20,000 and the trade-in amount is $15,000, the buyer pays sales tax on $20,000. And with a sale tax rate of 6%, for a $20,000 purchase regardless of trade-in amount the sales tax is $1,200.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
The tax credit he refers to is trade in value from his Acura being deducted from the sales price of his new TDI. If the Purchase price is say $20,000 and the trade in offer was $15,000, the buyer pays sales tax on $5000.
Did not realize one could get tax credit when doing a trade-in...(never did a trade-in with a dealer, always sold my old cars on my own).
Should TDI owners opting for the VW buy back then not also get a tax credit on the buy back amount, since we did pay tax on the original purchase, to cover the tax on the replacement vehicle?

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Did not realize one could get tax credit when doing a trade-in...(never did a trade-in with a dealer, always sold my old cars on my own).
Should TDI owners opting for the VW buy back then not also get a tax credit on the buy back amount, since we did pay tax on the original purchase, to cover the tax on the replacement vehicle?
Some states (Vermont is one of them I believe) - you can file a form and have that VW "sold" amount applied to the purchase of a new vehicle within 60 days or whatever it is but yeah it's all about where you live ��

Also, you sold it to volkswagen you didn't trade it in

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Placed a deposit on Gray Passat SEL. just smigid under MSRP then minus 8500.

The cars on the lot we looked at had all the dealer add ons, which kinda pissed me off. Mud flaps, floor mats, trunk liner, wheel locks, over priced first aid kit, spoiler (wife said that was a must have thou)

Going to lease and pay off ASAP, dealer is states we need to hold onto lease for 6 months, then pay off but hoping to call up VW credit and see if we can just take care of it in 2 months. The lease acquisition fee was $625, so its really only 7875 off MSRP. For us no sales tax so we could really care less about that tax stuffs. For NH they get you when registering but seeing this will be a 2 year old car the depreciation in registration will be prob $200 less compared to a "2017" 35K car when we get tags.

These are going to be cash cows for the dealers compared to a 2017 SEL that they would be willing to let go for 3500 under MSRP if you haggle them.

All said and done and we turn in the 2012 we calculated about 7-9K out of pocket to get the exact same car plus the bells and whistles of the SEL but with 40 miles instead of 80K. Some may not see that as worth it but the wife love having a high MPG car that isn't a piece of crap.

BTW what are there for down pipes for the 2015 Passats? Shes very interested in getting the power and higher MPG

Last edited:

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Placed a deposit on Gray Passat SEL. just smigid under MSRP then minus 8500.

The cars on the lot we looked at had all the dealer add ons, which kinda pissed me off. Mud flaps, floor mats, trunk liner, wheel locks, over priced first aid kit, spoiler (wife said that was a must have thou)

Going to lease and pay off ASAP, dealer is states we need to hold onto lease for 6 months, then pay off but hoping to call up VW credit and see if we can just take care of it in 2 months. The lease acquisition fee was $625, so its really only 7875 off MSRP. For us no sales tax so we could really care less about that tax stuffs. For NH they get you when registering but seeing this will be a 2 year old car the depreciation in registration will be prob $200 less compared to a "2017" 35K car when we get tags.

These are going to be cash cows for the dealers compared to a 2017 SEL that they would be willing to let go for 3500 under MSRP if you haggle them.

All said and done and we turn in the 2012 we calculated about 7-9K out of pocket to get the exact same car plus the bells and whistles of the SEL but with 40 miles instead of 80K. Some may not see that as worth it but the wife love having a high MPG car that isn't a piece of crap.

BTW what are there for down pipes for the 2015 Passats? Shes very interested in getting the power and higher MPG
Congrats.. I was thinking mods would need to wait until the lease company no longer owned the car if I were to go the same route.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

You certainly did a 180 on this, didn't you? :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yesterday I changed my mind about keeping my 2011 and bought a 2015 Jetta TDI S w/connectivity.
I think you're going to find the '15 is a nicer car than the '11 in many ways. Stiffer structure to meet offset collision rating translates to a quieter ride and better handling, IRS, better interior materials, more features. And the EA288 engine with Adblue is a big improvement over the CJAA. You made a great choice.

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
I posted in another thread that I'm considering trading my 2003 1.8T for a 2015 Golf SportWagen. Does anyone know if a NOS SportWagen is eligible for the compensation cash?

Dealer quote was about $5k off the $30,280 price of the 2015 Golf wagon SE DSG. I need the deal to be better than that before I can purchase, but with ~20 left they are sticking to their guns. Good on them, but I can't pay that, never mind that this is my dream car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No compensation cash, just the VWoA rebate applied to what ever you agree the dealer to sell you the car.

Also no VW loyalty $1000 rebate, as that rebate is on '17s.

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
No compensation cash, just the VWoA rebate applied to what ever you agree the dealer to sell you the car.
I'm trying to figure out what I should pay for it. It seems to me that we should start with MSRP, subtract the $5k, subtract some because it's now a 3-year-old car that has been sitting on the lot, subtract anything else I can get them to discount, and add in a bit for pent-up market demand.

With a 2015 MSRP of $30,280 (GSW SE DSG), it seems to me that this should be around the $22,500 mark OTD. But maybe I'm not factoring in enough demand.

What do you guys think? Am I asking for the world here, or is that reasonable?

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
I think you're going to find the '15 is a nicer car than the '11 in many ways. Stiffer structure to meet offset collision rating translates to a quieter ride and better handling, IRS, better interior materials, more features. And the EA288 engine with Adblue is a big improvement over the CJAA. You made a great choice.
No IRS on the 2015 model year, sadly! (no room for the IRS due to the addition of the add blue tank)
That seems to be the biggest weakness of that model year car.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Jetta sedan has IRS I'm nearly certain. Golf and GSW do not.
Yes - and the Jetta has a nicer interior than the 2011-2014 for sure.

For me, it's a difficult choice between the Passat SE (manual) and the Jetta SEL (manual). Seeing and driving both tonight and tomorrow.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
With a 2015 MSRP of $30,280 (GSW SE DSG), it seems to me that this should be around the $22,500 mark OTD. But maybe I'm not factoring in enough demand.

What do you guys think? Am I asking for the world here, or is that reasonable?

It might be reasonable, but the market is being driven by demand right now, and selection is diminishing. So, in all honesty, you'd be fortunate to drive away in one for that $

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
It might be reasonable, but the market is being driven by demand right now, and selection is diminishing. So, in all honesty, you'd be fortunate to drive away in one for that $
What he said... Just talked to my first dealership that is attempting to price gouge. "I can't tell you the MSRP, I can tell you what I'll sell them for". Sportwagen, stick shift. SE $27,500, SEL $29,682 WITH the 5K off... I sure as hell don't need one that bad. Maybe others will..

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
What he said... Just talked to my first dealership that is attempting to price gouge. "I can't tell you the MSRP, I can tell you what I'll sell them for". Sportwagen, stick shift. SE $27,500, SEL $29,682 WITH the 5K off... I sure as hell don't need one that bad. Maybe others will..
That's it for me too -- My 14.5-year-old 1.8T is in good-to-excellent shape, and I don't need a car today. I just want one. :cool:

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't comprehend how a dealer thinks he can sell a 2-3 year old car for MSRP.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
They seem to be selling some of them though.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
Plenty of diesel suckers out there!

There is a difference between "selling" and "sold". He can sell it and any price he wants. Sold is another story.

I can't comprehend how a dealer thinks he can sell a 2-3 year old car for MSRP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Are you forgetting about the rebate? It's MSRP less $5,000 or $8,500, depending on buy or lease. So not MSRP unless they're not offering the rebate. Which is ridiculous. Even not discounting beyond the rebate smacks a bit of gouging to me.