FAQ: 2009 - 2010 TDI-specific issues

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tpms

Dawg;
In reality, I moved from Jacksonville, NC to here. I think I got colder at 40 degrees there than I get at 20 below here.
(at least, that's what I keep telling myself)

Thanks for the prompt reply to my question.

geezer

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
geezerb said:
I called the dealer to ask if anyone else had been having the same and the tech told me that it will happen in the severe cold and the pressure will drop 1 psi for every 10 degrees. I googled that and found out that it was true for both lower temps and higher temps.
I calculate that with over 90 degrees of temp drop, my tires are in the vicinity of 29psi if they started 38psi.
The manual says that the light will go off when the pressure comes up.
After all that, my question is: should tire pressure be cranked up to keep from throwing the light in the winter?
You shouldn't be over inflating your tires to avoid a warning light, you should be properly maintaining correct pressure in your tires in order to run at the correct pressure. The warning light is not just a nuisance, it's an actual warning. If the light comes on, you've let things get dangerously low.

Yes, you need to check the pressure in your tires monthly. In the Fall, as temperatures drop, expect to add a pound or two each month. In the Spring, as temps rise, expect to let out a pound or two each month. As long as you keep the tires in the proper range for the 'current' weather, you've automatically compensated for ambient temperature.

You cannot possibly expect a tire to maintain proper pressure over a 90 degree temperature swing (summer high -> winter low), but it's quite reasonable to drive on them over a 30 degree swing (morning low -> afternoon high). (If you're a real stickler for proper pressure, add an extra 1.5 pounds if you're checking near the morning low, and don't add the extra pounds near the afternoon high.)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
MBoni said:
You shouldn't be over inflating your tires to avoid a warning light, you should be properly maintaining correct pressure in your tires in order to run at the correct pressure. The warning light is not just a nuisance, it's an actual warning. If the light comes on, you've let things get dangerously low.

Yes, you need to check the pressure in your tires monthly. In the Fall, as temperatures drop, expect to add a pound or two each month. In the Spring, as temps rise, expect to let out a pound or two each month. As long as you keep the tires in the proper range for the 'current' weather, you've automatically compensated for ambient temperature.

You cannot possibly expect a tire to maintain proper pressure over a 90 degree temperature swing (summer high -> winter low), but it's quite reasonable to drive on them over a 30 degree swing (morning low -> afternoon high). (If you're a real stickler for proper pressure, add an extra 1.5 pounds if you're checking near the morning low, and don't add the extra pounds near the afternoon high.)
I would agree. I personally do not want to add complication to a thing so "simple" as proper tire pressure. I am also aware that the HUGE overwhelming majority of car owners (75%) do not run oem recommended tire pressures (aka LOW), let alone more "specialized" levels. Another is most do not have "proper" pressure gauges. Even less have calipers or even a less than $2.00 tire depth gauge.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tpms

I popped for a digital tire guage and checked my tires. The front were at 30 PSI and the rear at 29.5 PSI. My estimate of what they probably were was pretty close. I inflated them to 35 PSI and will leave them at that for the next few months. All things being normal, I should be bleeding off some by February.
The manual said that the light would go off after a few minutes of driving but the light was off when I started the car a few minutes later.

Geezer
ps. I had a tire guage but it was quite old as are my eyes and it was difficult to read!!

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
geezerb said:
I popped for a digital tire guage and checked my tires. The front were at 30 PSI and the rear at 29.5 PSI. My estimate of what they probably were was pretty close. I inflated them to 35 PSI and will leave them at that for the next few months. All things being normal, I should be bleeding off some by February.
The manual said that the light would go off after a few minutes of driving but the light was off when I started the car a few minutes later.

Geezer
ps. I had a tire guage but it was quite old as are my eyes and it was difficult to read!!
All things being equal @ Feb 15, 2010 (temp for example) you should be a min of -2 #'s less, or 33 psi. Tires lose app 1# per mo.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tpms

Does nitrogen in the tires behave the same as regular air? I'm refering to sensitivity to air temperature. I know it will not seep out as fast because of molecular size.
The nearest place for me to get nitrogen is over 125 miles away so I'd have to get a lot more anal before I'd try it.

krsone

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, manual, blue graphite
geezerb said:
Does nitrogen in the tires behave the same as regular air? I'm refering to sensitivity to air temperature. I know it will not seep out as fast because of molecular size.
The nearest place for me to get nitrogen is over 125 miles away so I'd have to get a lot more anal before I'd try it.
As a chemist, I can really answer this question: As far as temperature sensitivity, since we are talking about relatively low pressures and temperatures, then we can assume that it is an ideal gas and PV=nRT. Therefore, the composition of the gas should not matter as the atoms do not have any significant interaction with each other. So the change in pressure with temperature should be the same.

Since air is mostly nitrogen I really don't think it seeps our of tires any slower either. I really don't understand the point of filling up your tires with *pure* nitrogen.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tpms

Your thoughts on this seem perfectly logical to me but you are the first person I have read doubting the use of nitrogen in tires. It has been touted as the very best thing that can happen to tires.
Great! Now I don't know if I am screwing up or getting smart by opting not to get nitrogen. Maybe they will come up with some designer air sometime in the future!!:D

Geezer

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Geezer, I will go ahead and be the second person to bad-mouth nitrogen. It makes sense in aircraft tires (where it is required by the FAA). But for cars, it is nothing but hot air (pun intended). Just another way to separate you from your dollars with mumbo-jumbo and snake-oil.

I would definitely pass on filling my tires with, say, hydrogen, but when it comes down to a question of 81% nitrogen (AKA 'air') for free versus 100% nitrogen for money....I don't think so.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Will dealers be supplying Winter and Summer nitrogen?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Ever since the switch-over to ULSN (ultra-low sulfur nitrogen) the winter/summer change hasn't been necessary. Unfortunately, the lower gassicity of ULSN causes your rims to wear out faster. So I've started adding Stanadyne Tire Formula with every inflation, but the sloshing sound is starting to drive me nuts.

And I worry a lot about getting a tire-full of 'bad nitrogen'.

Last edited:

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tpms

While this doesn't relate directly to my original subject, I have a real feeling that my Jetta has the ability to display emotions. Last Saturday it was parked outside over night (usually garaged) in -12 degree weather and snowing. I had to start it up at 6:30 and it appeared to me to be really pissed at me for doing it. The chill factor was -33 but that was only effecting me. It was several minutes before it got over its little tantrum.
Geezer:D

hutch_north

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI SW
Temp Sensor problem

Has anyone had any experience with the following?

It's been cold the past week, down to -15f at night and hasn't been above freezing. Drove my '09 JSW TDI home from work one snowy night last week; the next morning, the battery just barely cranked; slapped jumpers on, started and the engine ran rough for about 30 seconds before smoothing out. No problem for the next few days.

Yesterday (about 0f), started fine, but the glow plug light on the instrument cluster kept flashing, then I got a VIS - workshop warning and the check engine light came on. Car started fine this morning and the CEL wasn't on anymore. (?)

The car's still at the Dealer; the Service Manager told me there was ice on the internal tip of a temp sensor which evidently resides in or near the turbo housing. I don't know what codes were thrown because I don't have the car back yet.

Sensor failure - hey, it happens. What really worries me is the condensation or moisture inside the engine and why there would be ice on the internal part of the sensor after a 45 minute drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

gclark

TDI
2010 JETTA TDI
DoctorDawg said:
22. Q: My 2010 Jetta has only a few hundred to a coupla thousand miles on it, and the Check Engine light just came on! OMG! The dealer says they think it has something to do with the exhaust. What's going on?
A: A number of new 2010 owners have encountered a Check Engine light at very low miles caused by a batch of defective EGR gaskets. A couple of good threads to read on this topic are here and here. Replacing or repairing the gasket (under warranty!) fixes the problem, apparently with no consequences. We hope this is your problem.
Correction to this one, the EGR gaskets are not defective and this is not the fix. The CEL code does reveal a EGR issue and most 2010's that have had this fix have had the CEL come back on.

VW has recently been telling dealers that the issue is with the computer and they are working on an update. VW says the car can be driven with the engine light on in this instance. This was not agreable to me and I was granted a replacment. I have read in one other posts this is occuring in 80 out of every 2000 TDI's but I don't know if VW is verifying that number.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Tire Pressure

"With the temperature at 22 below zero this morning, the icon for low tire came on."

I took my car to the dealer 2 days ago and they told me this was a recall and they "fixed" it for me. did not of cource fix the issue i took it in for. the invoice said the repair was 105 dollars. I did the same thing though when it came one. checked all the tires and they were all within .5 degrees.

Ron
build date was august sometime 09

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
forcedfedbug said:
"With the temperature at 22 below zero this morning, the icon for low tire came on."

I took my car to the dealer 2 days ago and they told me this was a recall and they "fixed" it for me. did not of cource fix the issue i took it in for. the invoice said the repair was 105 dollars. I did the same thing though when it came one. checked all the tires and they were all within .5 degrees.

Ron
build date was august sometime 09
Unfortunately the dealer rather than explaining this to you and by default giving you the options, "solved the problem" and charged you app 1 hours worth of shop time. I think in some ways this is one exmple of TMI (too much information) with out adequate base lines and explanations. You do not state what PSI and TEMPERATURE you either put in or had as base lines, nor what psi and temp the dealer put. The bottom line is: once you start plugging in data you have several options.

Don't feel bad, the majority of folks (statistically) don't have a clue as to what psi they have, let alone check it a min of once a month. Far less folks know and document what temp the psi was put in @. (before the MFD, I guess-timated for 43 years) So for example, if you put in 35 psi (oem recommendation ) @ 75 degrees, what is the estimated psi @ -22 degrees? (in true jeopardy speak, what is 25.3 psi or -9.7 psi ?) Further, say you didn't check it for 3 months (what is 22.3 psi or -12.7 psi ? ). Another is, I don't even know @ what psi the low tire air pressure lamp comes on. Do you? (This should be in your owners manual). So for example, you might have issues if you continually operate most of the winter in -22 degrees F ambient (aka 35 psi is applicable in -22 degrees, not 25.3/22.3 psi) "IF" you filled 35 psi @ 75 degrees F ambient AND vice versa filled to 35 psi @ -22 degrees and it is now 75 degrees F . As you can surmise, the TEMP is the key variable here.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
ruking said:
Unfortunately the dealer rather than explaining this to you and by default giving you the options, "solved the problem" and charged you app 1 hours worth of shop time. I think in some ways this is one exmple of TMI (too much information) with out adequate base lines and explanations. You do not state what PSI and TEMPERATURE you either put in or had as base lines, nor what psi and temp the dealer put. The bottom line is: once you start plugging in data you have several options.

Don't feel bad, the majority of folks (statistically) don't have a clue as to what psi they have, let alone check it a min of once a month. Far less folks know and document what temp the psi was put in @. (before the MFD, I guess-timated for 43 years) So for example, if you put in 35 psi (oem recommendation ) @ 75 degrees, what is the estimated psi @ -22 degrees? (in true jeopardy speak, what is 25.3 psi or -9.7 psi ?) Further, say you didn't check it for 3 months (what is 22.3 psi or -12.7 psi ? ). Another is, I don't even know @ what psi the low tire air pressure lamp comes on. Do you? (This should be in your owners manual). So for example, you might have issues if you continually operate most of the winter in -22 degrees F ambient (aka 35 psi is applicable in -22 degrees, not 25.3/22.3 psi) "IF" you filled 35 psi @ 75 degrees F ambient AND vice versa filled to 35 psi @ -22 degrees and it is now 75 degrees F . As you can surmise, the TEMP is the key variable here.
I had this to occur during our first cold snap. IIRC, the TPMS is set to show a low tire below 28psi, and it is pretty accurate. Acording to my somewhat accurate pressure gauge, one tire was at 27.5 psi. Even tho it was cold, I inflated them all to 35 psi. We will not see temps into even the mid 40's again until March, probably. I'll recheck the pressures then. The system seems to work as designed. ;)

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Added to post #1 new FAQs #s 24 and 25, regarding priming the fuel system after a fuel filter change and wind noise from an open sunroof.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
DoctorDawg said:
3. Q: Can I use oil "X" in my 2009+ TDI?
A: It is vitally important for the health of your Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that you use only oils meeting the VW 507.00 spec, just like your owner's manual says. Oils meeting this spec contain extremely low amounts of ash, because oil-derived ash will crap up your DPF (in which case you can kiss both your warranty and your kid's college savings goodbye). If an oil says it meets the VW 507.00 spec, yer good to go. If it doesn't, yer not. Even some VW dealerships don't understand this yet, so don't assume that the oil the parts counter sells you (or the service tech uses in your car) is 507.00 unless and until they prove it to you by showing you the label. At the time of writing 507.00 oils are difficult or impossible to find on most store shelves, but you can e-buy them at either tdiparts.com or avlube.com (and prolly elsewhere, for all I know). Finally, there is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the name "507.00" comes from the average price per liter for this stuff...but its close! And one more thing: the oil capacity is 4.0 liters. Not 4.5 liters. Not 5 liters. Not 4 quarts. 4.0 liters. And you measure your oil level with the engine at full operating temperature, after it has sat turned off for about 3 minutes.
DD, maybe you should mention that Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 507.00 is available at Pep Boys.

turbotwo28

TDI
2009 JSW
hutch_north said:
Has anyone had any experience with the following?

It's been cold the past week, down to -15f at night and hasn't been above freezing. Drove my '09 JSW TDI home from work one snowy night last week; the next morning, the battery just barely cranked; slapped jumpers on, started and the engine ran rough for about 30 seconds before smoothing out. No problem for the next few days.

Yesterday (about 0f), started fine, but the glow plug light on the instrument cluster kept flashing, then I got a VIS - workshop warning and the check engine light came on. Car started fine this morning and the CEL wasn't on anymore. (?)

The car's still at the Dealer; the Service Manager told me there was ice on the internal tip of a temp sensor which evidently resides in or near the turbo housing. I don't know what codes were thrown because I don't have the car back yet.

Sensor failure - hey, it happens. What really worries me is the condensation or moisture inside the engine and why there would be ice on the internal part of the sensor after a 45 minute drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Same ride and I too experienced this issue just recently but the temps never dropped that low. In NJ we were experiencing temps in the range of 25-40F. :D

The glow plug would light up while the car was already warmed and moving and then go into "limp home mode". No boost or over revvving, then the CEL afterwards. I was able to shut the car off and started it up again after 30 mins so the glow plug light would not light up.

Eventually took it to the dealer to address it and they claimed it was a "valve". Well less than a week later I get the same problem and just dropped it off yesterday. They told me that it was the "turbo" and it had to be replaced???? :eek: :eek: I hope that's the case. Won't get the ride back till prob Wednesday.

Will keep you posted if interested. But yes is there anyone out there that's experienced this and was able to Vag-Com it to get the codes??? Please advise or redirect there's more info.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
DoctorDawg said:
If I've overlooked any common questions or have fumbled any of the answers, please chime in.
Hi Doc

One minor edit is suggested. In number 3 you give a link to TDIParts.com. This should be changed to IDPARTS.com (the company changed their name and the re-direct is no longer working).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268642

Thanks for putting this together

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Remote will lock, but not unlock car.

If your A5/MKV car will lock via the keychain remote but not unlock via the push buttons on the remote, REPLACE THE BATTERY in the remote.

CR2032, quantity ONE. $2.95 or less.

My remote would still UNLOCK the TRUNK and LOCK the car doors, but it would not unlock the car remotely.

HTH

Bill

dieselstein

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi (new) 2006 Jetta TDi (traded in on 2010) 1994 Golf TDi (dead) 2003 Jetta TDi (sold)
crap.... you're a patient one. you work on headaches too?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I do not know if this applies here or not.

Some diesel trucks (newer Chevy Duramax) will never hit redline while fueling. They will only hit the redline while acting in the engine braking mode going down steephills.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Another difference in the 2009 and 2010 (CBEA and CJAA) cars is that the fuel lift pump does NOT run for a second or two when the key is cycled to ON.

The engine has to be running for the lift pump and aux pump to run.

So do not count on filling the fuel filter the same way you did on your old PD pump.

Bleue

TDI
jette TDI 2009
DoctorDawg said:
f) Slight but noticeable 'defueling' (slowing) when cresting a hill. Seems to be somewhat commonly reported, but seems not to happen all the time, just on some hills, sometimes. A minor annoyance, at worst. I can make it happen (but only on one hill I've ever met) if, anticipating the coming downslope, I slightly back off on the go pedal just before the crest. If I don't, it doesn't happen. I seem to recall seeing some folks with manual transmission reporting this same problem, in which case it isn't really a DSG issue. I don't believe anybody has the foggiest idea what causes it.
I have a manual '09 jetta TDI and experience the same issue. Given that my speed remains quite constant while the sensation lasts I had assumed it was caused by the ASR system which keeps speed constant despite the sudden reversal in gravity's effect on the car. Cars without, or with differently calibrated, ASR systems accelerate slightly through the crest causing a very different sensation.

If someone's able to reproduce this problem reliably can they try and do it with ASR off to confirm this?

But either way I can confirm that this is not a DSG transmission issue.

jogousa

TDI
2009 Tdi SportWagon
Oil Change (10 k miles) Intervals

Actually, under some conditions (like mine - driving often short distances) oil should be changed more often. I change my (oil and filter) every 7000 miles.

Likewise, folks that live in climate zones, where temps stay below freezing point for long periods, should change oil more frequently as well.

This is also mentioned in 2009 TDI VW owner's manual (page 297)...