EGT Sensor Advice

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Hello all,
Today I got a flashing glow plug light and CEL. Scanned and got P0544, EGT sensor Bank 1. A search on the forum brought me quite a bit of info along with a few repair guides. I have a few followup questions.

• Several people have mentioned getting this fault right after completing a service. Several mentions of a 60k service, 10k service, or fuel filter change. I also just did a 60k service with oil and fuel filter change. 2 days later I got the error. Is there any connection? All my parts and oil were from the VW dealership.
  • I have heard of people having the part fail multiple times within a 30000km, so I am leaning towards having a shop replace it so I can take advantage of their warranty on that. Reasonable?
  • I am in Canada, and this car has the extended emissions warranty and is currently at 62000 km. What are the chances this will be covered by a VW warranty? I have read conflicting opinions about this. Hoping someone who works at a dealer may advise. If it won't be covered, I'd rather take it to the indy. The dealer near me has poor service reviews.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's 100% covered by the emissions warranty. I'd let the warranty take care of it.

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I see that now. The booklet states:

"The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, NOx Reduction Catalyst, Diesel Particulate Filter,
exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;"

Not sure why I didn't just go with that, rather than the users on here in past threads saying it wouldn't be covered.

Thanks, sorry for the wasted post. What a rookie....

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
This should be covered under the extended emissions warranty.

If you weren't covered in that manner, I'd suggest removing the sensor and wiping it clean then trying it again. Worked for me with EGT sensor bank 1 sensor 2 and hasn't come back in over 45k km.

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Good to know. Was it a hassle to get to, at the risk of having to do repeat the service if it didn't work? Just wondering if there's an easier method than what I've seen elsewhere.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
The one I dealt with was on top of the engine so not too bad. Just need to get the angle right and make sure you do it on a cold engine to avoid any burns.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I had that exact same problem not long ago. Took it to the dealer, they ran a diagnostic, and replaced the sensor for free under the extended warranty. Got a loaner too ?

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Thanks for the input! Thankfully, theres a dealer close to where I work, though a loaner wouldn't hurt. It goes in tomorrow.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Was this indeed fixed under warranty? I got those codes today and dealer was $149 for diagnostics! If I replace as a DIY, then $149 almost covers the parts costs!!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I also just had this replaced under warranty it was 100% covered, they did it in about an hour. The only reason you would get charged for diagnostic fees is if it comes up with something that’s not covered under the warranty.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Great news. I had two code, the other is Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor P2452. I've replaced one of these before, but that should also be covered under warranty as it's part of the emissions system!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Yeah, as soon as my car threw the bank 1 code I got it in as soon as I could to avoid the DPF clogging. Even though that would also be covered, I wasn’t going to risk the possible damage.