Getting a JSW Post Dieselgate

Diese1

TDI
None (Went with buyback)
I currently have a 2006 BMW X5 with a 6-speed manual (rare unicorn) that I absolutely love, but the fuel economy is horrible (22 mpg highway).

I used to have a Jetta TDI pre-buyback and I loved it, and now I'm thinking of going back to TDI's with the JSW. The JSW does have more cargo room and is a good "SUV replacement" for the X5. The X5 is good overall, and I'm still on the fence of trading it in for ~3-4k considering how rare the manual is in these cars.

I'm thinking buying a 2012- 2014 JSW with the manual. How are these cars post-dieselgate. Are they worth buying? Does the fix affect their performance or fuel economy? Is there anything specific (common problems) I should be looking for in these cars?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
From personal experience

1) Check the panoramic sunshade if so equipped.

2) Make sure a/c blows cold in stop and go and at idle.

Both are items my car is going in next week for CPO warranty repairs once parts come in and both are common issues. The a/c is probably the RCV valve but my servicing dealer is replacing the whole compressor for some reason, not questioning it as I'm just paying the $50 deductible.

OffTheWall503

TDI
2011 JSW
From personal experience
1) Check the panoramic sunshade if so equipped.
2) Make sure a/c blows cold in stop and go and at idle.
Both are items my car is going in next week for CPO warranty repairs once parts come in and both are common issues. The a/c is probably the RCV valve but my servicing dealer is replacing the whole compressor for some reason, not questioning it as I'm just paying the $50 deductible.
Funny that you mention the A/C, mine can be tough to get cold on warmer days but I have to be driving for a few minutes before its decently effective.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Funny that you mention the A/C, mine can be tough to get cold on warmer days but I have to be driving for a few minutes before its decently effective.
Mine only "kicks in" once I get to ~50+ MPH then it will be golden for awhile - once I get back to stop and go it will go back to slightly colder than ambient after ~5-10 mins.

My servicing dealer evacuated and recharged the system and tried to pass it off as fixed to me but I was not having it which is when they took another look and decided it needed a new compressor.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
my compressor developed a shaft seal leak, took a long time to find, was eating about 4 ounces of refrigerant a week. new compressor seems to have fixed the issue.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
They rev a little more before changing gears and change gears a little sooner rather than lug down up the hills which means my newer one now burns more fuel, about 1/2 L per 100km or 1/2 qt per 60 miles.

I liked the before fix set up better.