Back in the club - '12 Jetta Sportwagen

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So after many years out of the TDI fold (traded my '03 Golf TDI back in 2006), a few gasser VW's, few gasser Mazda 3's and a few gasser Mercedes I am back in the TDI fold.

Last week I got into an accident in my '11 E350 4Matic that despite no airbag deployment was enough for my insurer to declare it a total loss (MB's have horrific depreciation BTW). While I absolutely love MB's they truly are a money drain once they start getting to ~7-8 years old.

Anyhow up until last week did not realize the buyback TDI's were flooding back out on the market and the glut of supply was making the TDI's a serious bargain.

So I found a '12 Sportwagen TDI - DSG - w/Sunroof and 17" wheel package w/65k miles on the clock at a local dealership (Stone Mountain VW). Clean carfax and car was bought and serviced religiously at that same dealer, my salesperson could not tell me if it sat on their lot the whole time after buyback but regardless it must have stayed pretty local.

$9500 asking price (started at $10.9k ~45 days ago), VW certified so has the 2 year bumper to bumper w/$50 deductible then the emissions warranty that should carry me through 1/2023. During certification they changed all the filters (cabin, air and fuel), changed the oil, changed the DSG fluid, 4 wheel alignment, new battery and new wipers.

I could not be happier. The 20 some odd mile drive home the MPG readout sat at 40.7 MPG - this was ~75% highway at 70-75MPH and the rest stop and go city traffic.

Anyhow just wanted to say hello again! Looking forward to many years to come with my "new to me" TDI.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen SEL
Welcome back to the club!

I'm a (complete) newbie here with my first TDI: a 2012 navi/pano/6sp, 54k miles that I purchased from a dealership in Marietta, GA. Not certified (not from VW dealership). Got it for $10k out the door.

Loving my 40 mile one way commute to Chamblee getting 42 mpg! Totally beats the 23ish I was getting with my previous car.

Also, pics or it didn't happen!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Here she is! Almost twins - mine is DSG and has no Nav or Kessy though. Few items to get addressed under the 2/unlimited - broken drivers vent adjuster (you can see the tab is missing) and the sunroof shade has become disconnected from the bar that pulls it closed.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
Nice! Loving it. I wasn't crazy about the Platinum Grey at first, but really liking it now. Congrats on the ride!

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Just test drove a 12 JSW. Dark blue, pano, 6 speed, white pleather interior. Ice car. Seems well taken car of. Drives beautifully. Only thing I noticed was I got a very slight shimmy under hard breaking from 80. It tracked dead straight during the braking just a very slight vibration. Do these things have a regular problem with warped rotors?

What an awesome highway cruiser though. 80 felt like 30.

It has the VW 4 year warranty. The sales guy was very honest. Said he’s still not exactly sure what is/isn’t covered. He thought it was emissions/fuel system.

Not a VW dealer.

Asking 9950.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
Just test drove a 12 JSW. Dark blue, pano, 6 speed, white pleather interior. Ice car. Seems well taken car of. Drives beautifully. Only thing I noticed was I got a very slight shimmy under hard breaking from 80. It tracked dead straight during the braking just a very slight vibration. Do these things have a regular problem with warped rotors?

What an awesome highway cruiser though. 80 felt like 30.

It has the VW 4 year warranty. The sales guy was very honest. Said he’s still not exactly sure what is/isn’t covered. He thought it was emissions/fuel system.

Not a VW dealer.

Asking 9950.

What do you guys think?

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I paid $10k out the door for mine with 54k on it.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Was yours CPO?

Seems like that is worth something.

This is from a used car dealer so it is not.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
Mine is not CPO either. Those are going for $11.5-14k in Atlanta.

But mine is in just as good of condition. Looked at both before I bought and went with the overall better deal.

OP, check it out. Compare it to others around you and feel confident you get a good deal!

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
One other thing. While driving in stop and go traffic, I heard something that sounded like a pump running. Sounded almost like a belt slipping. I reved the engine. It did not change pitch, so it was t tied directly to the engine.

Could this be part of the emission system? I can’t even say for sure that it was coming from the car. There were many cars around me stopped at a light. After a few minutes, it stopped suddenly.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is not CPO either. Those are going for $11.5-14k in Atlanta.

But mine is in just as good of condition. Looked at both before I bought and went with the overall better deal.

OP, check it out. Compare it to others around you and feel confident you get a good deal!

All the TDI's (CPO and non-CPO) are still dropping in price - seems they are not such a hot commodity like they were back in the day or the market it just flooding with them. I got my CPO '12 from Stone Mountain VW for $9500 before TTL, could have probably talked them a little bit more (had been on their lot ~45 days) but was on a time crunch and was already happy with the price. They had quite a few CPO TDI's for under $10k.

Anyways - Ranger Pete. IMO the fixed TDI's are one of the best used car deals out there and CPO is just icing on the cake. 2 year bumper to bumper warranty (CPO) and the 4+ (depending on model year) year emissions warranty that covers the engine long block and pretty much the entire fuel delivery and exhaust system with really the only exclusion being the transmission - nothing to sneeze at.

I personally went with CPO because of concerns of issues that may arise due to the car being mothballed and not moving for 1.5+ years. I don't have to worry about anything (except consumables like tires, brakes, wipers, etc) for 2 years.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Called them back today to make an offer. They sold it this morning! :(

Looks as though MTs are getting hard to find. Tons of DSGs out there.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
Called them back today to make an offer. They sold it this morning! :(

Looks as though MTs are getting hard to find. Tons of DSGs out there.
Yes, MTs are hard to find. They weren't hard to come by a month and a half ago here in ATL, but now it seems like all the dealerships have are the DSGs! Glad I snatched mine up when I did!

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Well, I found another MT. Didn’t let this one get away.

2011, silver/ black. Got a few small scuffs, but runs great. 55k.

No pano roof on this one but to be honest it is probably better. One less thing to break. And the black interior will be better than the white one I let slip away.

Paid 9450.