Reasons to get a stage 1 tune vs a stage 2 tune

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello all. I’m going to get my ‘12 JSW tuned by Malone. To include DSG tune and eventually the rawtek EGR/DPF delete with hi-flow cat and resonator.
My main priority for the car is reliability and longevity, I don’t really care all that much about the power gains its just a really nice bonus to me. So I’m leaning towards a stage 1 tune because i feel like it would be less stress on the motor and transmission in the long run. Malones website is very vague about what they actually to to tune the car and the differences between a stage 1 and a stage 2 tune.
I’m familiar with tuning gassers and know about advancing timing and pulling fuel and A/F ratios. I’m brand new to diesel and have no idea if any of that applies. So what are the differences between the stage 1 and the stage 2 tune? Does the stage 2 tune run more boost? Less fuel? Advance the timeing more? And I’m I correct in my assumption that the stage 1 tune would be “Safer”.
Also not sure if this matters or not but i plan to install the Polar FIS, DSG tune and ECU tune (stage 1 or stage 2 depending on feedback) together first then later on down the road probably 6 to 8 months ill do the deletes.

P.S. yes i did a search
Anyone with a stage 1 tune why did you choose it over a stage 2 even though it says the stage 2 will return better MPG?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
probably close to 95% of people are stage 2.

The two files would behave more or less identically until about 90% throttle, you're welcome to contact us directly.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have contacted you directly. You got back to me very quickly which I appreciate. Im sure you guys are very busy. You did answer my questions for the most part but your answers were very short sweet and to the point ( which most people consider a good thing) and did not really elaborate on anything.
The two files would behave more or less identically until about 90% throttle
Now this ^^ is the sort of info i was looking for. If the tunes are basically the same at 40-80% throttle then i would definitely go with the stage 2 to get that litte extra when I’m at 90% to WOT.
I was just worried that the stage 2 would put extra unnecessary strain on the motor vs a stage 1 when I’m just putting around town at 35MPH on my way to work.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why not just save yourself some money and wait till you are ready for the delete? You won't lose anything. If you aren't concerned about the power you have nothing to gain by doing a tune now and then paying again later to get another or an update. I would just do the DSG now and wait for the delete tune if you can't wait.

From your last post you seem to think the tune strains the engine at all times. There is only additional strain when you use the power. If you are putting around at 35 mph there is no strain no matter which tune you have or none. You will only put additional strain when you request more power than stock. By the way putting around at 35 mph all the time isn't that good of a thing for the car either.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
There is only additional strain when you use the power.
bingo

Shouldn't have any reliability issues on stage 2. If it's treated like a rental car and you're regularly lugging tall gears on the highway at WOT rather than downshifting, that'd be a bit hard on the drive train. Have 100k or so miles on one of our development cars and somehow it's still on the original clutch.

We see way fewer problems with DSGs than with manuals and they'll take far more abuse. Stock clutches are typically good for 450-500lb-ft and there's some very fast drag cars running stock DQ250s.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
P.S. yes i did a search
Anyone with a stage 1 tune why did you choose it over a stage 2 even though it says the stage 2 will return better MPG?
The delete and down pipe mod is what gets better mileage, if your car runs dieselgate software it might gain mileage from just a tune.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I think it was Malone maybe it was Kerma told me that I could get the files for the stage 2 with delete and stage 2 without delete at the same time for the same price. then when i do the delete just upload the delete tune with my flashzilla