Intermittent no start?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Me again!

Intermittently, the car won't crank. Turn the key to on, and everything lights up as it should but when turning the key to crank, nothing happens.

So far, it's only happened to her. Has anyone seen this on a 15 Passat?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
have you checked battery terminals?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Are all the conditions met for cranking? Car in park, foot on brake if required, etc.?

Only happens to "her", well what is she doing or not doing differently?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I should change the title of my thread!

Only got a click from the starter this morning, so it's getting towed to the dealer as we speak. I'll update this thread when i've got news

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
The Passat ended up needing a starter, which was back ordered for about 10 days from VW. I now have the car back and it seems ok.

The dealer had never seen an issue with a 15 Passat needing a starter but suspect it's due to condensation around the solenoid (a theory that a friend with machinery supports)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Too late to the parade here, but...was the battery adequately load-tested prior to the expense of starter replacement? Are you still on the OEM battery?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Too late to the parade here, but...was the battery adequately load-tested prior to the expense of starter replacement? Are you still on the OEM battery?
Battery is a brand new OEM battery installed by me on Dec. 27, 2018. I tested it regardless and it passed.