HPFP Failure - Post Emissions Fix, Claim Denied VW will never change

Vaughan_TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI NMS - DSG
Hi TDI'ers

HPFP on my 2013 Passat TDI failed back in Dec. I was busy and did not get the car to the dealer until Jan 14 and they have denied my claim based on Misfueling. Here is my story show VW still does not care about their customers and dealers will deny the claim any way they can.

I had my car break down with the classic signs of HPFP (I.e glow plug light flashing, sudden loss of power and never to start again). I towed the car to VW dealership (as it was close to my work) and they are ones who did the emissions fix warranty on my car. I had the car towed by VW Road side assistance. The next day when I called the dealer they told me that they smell petrol in my tank. I informed them that there is no way car was miss fueled as I’m this is my 3rd TDI starting with 1999 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI and now this 2013 Passat TDI.

I went to see the dealer same day and they took me to the shop. They had the rear seat removed and showed me the fuel in the tank. I asked them the fuel level looks high for 1/4 of tank that I sent the car with. They told me they had to top it off for troubleshooting. Then for almost two weeks they had my car and never tried to contact me. I called several times to find out the service rep is away from her desk. I then called the VW and filed my complaint about not hearing back from the dealer. On late Friday Jan 25/2019 I called them again and finally got hold of the service rep. She told me that the car would not be fixed under extended emissions warranty as the fuel was contaminated. I asked her couple of simple questions which she did not had answers for. 1. Do you have the results of fuel analysis that was done to determine fuel contamination? 2. When I sent my car with 1/4 tank of fuel why is that they had to add more fuel. 3. This model is equipped with neck on the tank filler that prevents from miss fulling. It would take me approximately 25 mins to put 40 lit of gas into the tank.
4. Do you have the receipt that you bought to top up the fuel.
Then I asked to speak to the service manager and asked same questions and he kept on telling me same. After I got off the phone I went to the dealership and requested to see my car. I took pictures of the tank being more than 1/2 full of fuel. I got the car home and did the tests and found out the fuel now has gas mixed. I’m not sure if the mechanic accidently added gas to the diesel car or what happened. I will be polite and say that maybe it was a honest mistake. I have receipts and documented proof that I did not send the car with more than a 1/4 of fuel which was diesel. I have pictures and colleagues who are witness that car only had 1/4 of fuel in the tank when it died.

I was never given any official paper work from VW Dealer as to why my claim is refused. They did not even answer any of my questions. They had very unprofessional behavior at the dealership.

I took the car to another VW dealership and they see that the case was handled by another dealership before them so they are sticking with the story that 1st dealership gave them.

In US they had extended the warranty for HPFP to 120,000 miles because of these failures. There are stories that were run by Global News Canada when HPFP were failing before the buyback program. In this case I can assure you the HPFP has not failed because of miss fueling.
I believe this will be the first step in winning your customers trust back (as your CEO said.). I’m a loyal VW customer who had TDI, Audi A8, and Eurovan. As a TDI owner and fan I have already gone through a lot.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If they added fuel before taking a sample, then they have no grounds to claim you misfueled the car. I'd take it up with VWoA , and hire an attorney if that goes nowhere.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The additional fuel doesn’t make sense at all. If the fuel is s in question, it should be off what was in the car, nothing else. I would work my way up the chain at the dealership as well.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Following your story, it makes sense that the second dealer would refuse to fix the car due to contaminated fuel, because it appears that it is now. I would talk to the general manager of the first dealer and give him all your details. If he is unwilling to do anything, your next step is as c3k suggests. Hire a lawyer. Or contact your local news station that has a consumer protection person.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Your blaming VW but it appears that your problem is with your dealer.
Maybe a call to VW of Canada is in order? Or whatever division customer care supports Canada.

Bummer you are having such an issue. Normally Canadians are really nice! :D