N75 boost question

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
2005 Golf, 303k miles, stock

Last fall I lost a turbo, no problem I had a spare cleaned everything up, checked everything out and the car runs fine. Mpg’s are great no engine codes of any kind.

The turbo that failed was from an engine I replaced my engine with after a timing belt event when I lost about 8” of teeth. I bought a used engine and it came with a turbo which checked out shaft play wise so I left it on.

I put the turbo from my dead engine on.

I chalked the dead turbo up to the unknowns of its history. I have been noticing however that my boost tends to run what I think is a little high. When I’m cruising at 55 on a flat paved road it’s fluctuates between 5-8 psi according to my Ultragauge.

My daughters 01 Beetle does about 2-4 psi under the same conditions. I know different engine.

So I pulled out the vcds and actual vs requested boost isn’t even close. Requested is off the top of the chart every time I accelerate. So I ordered a new n75. Pierburg from a reputable vendor. My old n75 does not hold vacuum but neither does the new one right out of the box. I put the new n75 on and no difference in boost levels on the ultragauge or actual vs requested via vcds.

Just to double check myself, an n75 should hold vacuum correct?

My MAF also seems to have the same problem actual vs requested isn’t close on acceleration. Requested goes off the top of the chart.

So dead MAF or n75 or both?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
You should test at what vacuum levels the turbo actuator starts to move and point at which it finishes its travel.

I believe your rod length must be adjusted.