Battery drain

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Ok good. Is it through the comfort module? Cause i unplugged that. Also does anyone know what gets power after the relay box other then the fuse box and ignition switch?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
With all the other options that have already been tested, have you tested the alternator to make sure that it's behaving, and that you don't have a failed diode in the rectifier bridge?

It wasn't on my VW, but I've had a failed bridge cause poor charging and rapid drain of the battery.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, you can look at the power at the battery and see if a diode has failed fairly easily.
It should look like a nearly flat line, with a series of evenly spaced ripples.
If a diode has failed, you will see the ripples, and then a sharp valley before seeing more ripples.

You can also test the alternator off the car, or potentially with a charging system tester, but I don't know how detailed the test is on the "in car testing" ones.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
With all the other options that have already been tested, have you tested the alternator to make sure that it's behaving, and that you don't have a failed diode in the rectifier bridge?
That's what I was asking earlier.
Wanted him to disconnect the alternator wire at the fuse box on top of the battery and test for a draw.
Maybe a DVM testing for AC voltage on the battery with the car running.

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Charging system has been tested and passed ... i have also isolated the alternator and still have a current draw after 2 hours. The draw is coming from inside the car somewhere after the relay box but before the fuse box. I know the ignition switch gets power from the relay box im just not sure what else does.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup... a shorted alternator diode causes parasitic draws in the amps, not milliamps, since the battery is now discharging directly though one of the (low resistance) stator windings. :) :)

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Figured I would give an update. Meant to do it sooner but been busy. The drain is from the passenger front door control module that is part of the window motor. Unplugged it and my drain went down to 20 milliamps. I haven't replaced it yet but I now know what it is and hopefully will have time this weekend to replace it.