Does this turbo damage appear to be caused by foreign object?

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
I have removed my old turbo after the death sirens began a few weeks ago. The intake side (compressor?) inducer impeller is damaged.

The way it looks makes me think something was ingested but I'm not an expert.

Any other opinions? What should I take apart to check for debris? I'm removing the intercooler as we speak.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_malaysia_226 using Board Express

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Looks like FOD to me. Yep, clean out intercooler and as much piping as you can. Maybe a vane broke off, then got re-ingested. Looks like one might be missing.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Thanks ski, I thought so too. I didn't think about it being a reingested vane. How does one clean out an intercooler? I'm guessing any liquids are a big no no... Although old coolant seems like it might be okay.

(I'm out in my garage so a short description would be the tits.)

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Anyone want to chime in on intercooler cleaning?

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Just got done, found a puncture hole that I've now patched with jb weld "steelstik" supposed to be good for 900psi at 300 degrees F. Hopefully this will do till I can replace it.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Well I got the intercooler out and patched up enough to hold water. Cleaned out all of the piping. No blade... Could a piece of metal by hat size cause internal damage to the cylinder wall or valve train? Or do you think it got minced up enough to get filtered out in the oil (which I will drain today).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You'd be surprised at how little (or soft) of a thing it takes to cause that sort of damage when the impact takes place at 100,000 RPM :D

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
6 blades X 100,000 rpm = 600kHz. Hard to hear with ears, as they are good maybe as high as 20kHz. But maybe can pick up on the low end of the AM radio band!!! :rolleyes:

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
hehe, not too good with sound waves here... but... I can still hear some of the spooling of the turbo... maybe it'S the airflow I hear...

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Well. I dropped the oilpan and replaced all of lines. Still no blades to be seen. I convinced myself that they must still be in the intercooler so I bought a new one and a piping kit. I just couldn't stop thinking about the miniscule chance that the phantom blades could cause problems with my brand new cylinder head and turbo parts. This in spite of the multiple conversations with my mechanical engineering friends regarding the teenie tiny holes inside.

Sent from my flashzilla