01 NB brake job-new pads? or pads & rotors?

treetopflyer

TDI
2001NB, Silver
As per subject, I want to know how to check for acceptable pad wear ( so I get maximum service life before replacement), without damaging the rotors. I have no abnormal braking, pulling, noises, and as far as I know these are the original brake components at 74,000mi. on the odometer. I have read numerous "brake" related threads, without adequate results, but they will be IMMENSELY HELPFUL when it comes to actually performing the work. Thanks to all that have taken the time to document their work!
My vehicle was always dealer maintained due to job/time constraints. During the last service the inspection noted brakes 70-85% worn. Well I have found a job with a more compatible job schedule, but no dealer within a 130 miles, which means I'd better get repair savvy fast and start doing my own maintenance!!!
Now the questions: 1-brake wear indications i.e. puck min. thickness, warning lights, (time to replace), 2- do I need to replace the rotors every time I do a brake job even if the rotors have no scars or gouges? 3- Do VW rotors have enough meat to have them turned, or are they one time use only?
I will be purchasing a Bentley manual and acquire the related special tools for service and system flush.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
If the pads have about 2mm left, then it's time to replace them. You can inspect them when you rotate your tires every 10k per the service guide. Don't know what type rims you have, but I can see the pads even through the seven spoke wheels on my car. Also, if the rotor looks beat up or has cracks, then change them as well. The bentley manual should have the minimum pad and rotor thickness figures.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The rotors can't be turned is what I have read here. They are so thin that if you just replaced the pads, before the second set of pads are worn out, the rotors would be thinner than saftey allows.

Just replace the rotors whenever you do the pads, there is minimal extra labor.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
The Bentley manual says that the wear limit for the pads is 7mm, including the backing plate.

Newer VW OEM pads made by TRW is much less dusty than the ones from past years.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
whitedog said:
The rotors can't be turned is what I have read here. They are so thin that if you just replaced the pads, before the second set of pads are worn out, the rotors would be thinner than saftey allows.

Just replace the rotors whenever you do the pads, there is minimal extra labor.
Interesting. A rotor has never lasted more than a two sets of pads? I'm looking at my first brake job this spring (replacing the rear rotors and pads). Don't know how different they are, but I read that others used to get up to three pad changes to a rotor assuming it stayed in good shape. This was on a Mercedes forum so the rotors may be a little different. Actually, when I last ran my finger across the rotor surface I noticed that the front seems to have more wear than the back. I would have thought the back rotor would wear quicker since the pads are used more there (under normal braking conditions). I guess I'll never know the exact wear without measuring with a vernier caliper.

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
IME, rotors are cheap. If you shop around you can get some cheap ones for $3-4 each which are sufficient for an unmodified daily driver and are like OEM except they aren't rust proofed (but who cares if it rusts on the edge?). I'd just change the rotors with the pads and be done with it. On the back rotors it takes me about 20-40 minutes to change one set of pads and rotors, clean and lube the sliders, and bleed the brakes. So, pick up some pads and rotors now and wait till you hear a screeching ;)
I bought some rotors and a set of Hawk HPS pads from raceshopper.com, best price I could find online for these.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Fortuna Wolf said:
IME, rotors are cheap. If you shop around you can get some cheap ones for $3-4 each which are sufficient for an unmodified daily driver and are like OEM except they aren't rust proofed (but who cares if it rusts on the edge?). I'd just change the rotors with the pads and be done with it. On the back rotors it takes me about 20-40 minutes to change one set of pads and rotors, clean and lube the sliders, and bleed the brakes. So, pick up some pads and rotors now and wait till you hear a screeching ;)
I bought some rotors and a set of Hawk HPS pads from raceshopper.com, best price I could find online for these.
Thanks for the info. I sent a quote request to raceshopper.com. We'll see what quote they have for the rear rotors.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
ptempel said:
Thanks for the info. I sent a quote request to raceshopper.com. We'll see what quote they have for the rear rotors.
They sent a mail and have the rear rotors for $22 each. Very nice price there at raceshopper.com. Is their equipment good?

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Fortuna Wolf said:
Sorry for all the Q's. Newbie car geek wants to know everything. ;) Aren't Hawk HPS pads a little more aggressive for a street pad? Just curious why you went with these versus the regular OEM ones.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
I went with them because they're more aggresive than the OEM pads, but they're not like a track pad which has to be hot or wears quickly. They are a little squeaky when I have the parking break on lightly and I bounce the car around a bit.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Guys, if you are interested I do have a group buy going on for brake kits--everyone wants the clutch kits, but no one has bit as of yet on the brakes. (Funny, because I sell a set of these every couple of weeks, and this is a deep discount--go figure ;)) See my signature under Holiday Group Buy Thread. If you want different pads or rotors I can work something out for you--PM me if you want to go that route.
Thanks!
-BB

treetopflyer

TDI
2001NB, Silver
Thanks to all that have responded, great info and timely too! Am i to understand that the rotors are only allowed 2mm. of wear before they are unserviceable? That's not much to play with!
Bora, I will be researching your brake kit after this post :)

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
Where is the best price for OEM equivalent pads and rotors. My local NAPA or somewhere on the web?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I can get OEM as well. Not in the group buy thread, but you'd be looking at $225 shipped with Zimmermann front/rear rotors with TRW rear pads and Textar front pads. PBR pads are same price. Add $15 for wear sensors if you want those.
You can also get Brembo rotors for another $30.

Absolute cheapest set is PBR Pads/Rotors for $199 shipped (w/out wear sensors). Oh--the front could be ceramic for an extra $6 :).
Information overload?
-BB