Inner CV Joint

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Fixed? Plunging style? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

By design, any CV joint will have some axial movement available. For our VWs, there is the tripodal style used on the auto-tragic boxes, and the more classic style used in manual transaxles. I am not sure why there is a difference; VW never shared such information with us of the unwashed masses.

Perhaps if you shared some details concerning your curiosity, someone here can be of greater help.

Cheers,

PH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Depends on the specific year/engine/trans, could be either. You'd need to look at your specific car.

The ALH+manual cars all got the conventional Rzeppa style joint, with 6 balls. Some of the early 1.8t cars had the same, some later ones had the Tripod plunge style joint with 3 bearings in a "tulip" type inner joint housing.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
OK, this is the Rzeppa joint from the ALH manual cars. P-H, the joints I am wondering about are labeled by GKN as fixed or plunge. The plunge joints have +/-8mm of axial movement.
cheers,
Douglas

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Thanks! You learn new things every day on this forum!

Depending on what is required, if you are having inner CV joint troubles, you can swap them side to side and motor on. I've done this and it works great. After this swap, reverse will start having the same problems as you had in forward drive before, but since most of us don't spend very much time in reverse, it is doubtful you'd ever notice.

Cheers,

PH

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would not worry about this on my Mk.IV...have something that needs a CV; actually a pair of them. Am going with 930/size 15, type 174. If the TDI's came with 934/size 21, I don't think anybody would have had to ever replace them. Amazing the stuff you discover...now if only I could find a few quads of 6LF6 sweep tubes...:)
cheers,
Douglas