MKIV Wagon Rear Sunroof Drains

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
Water is soaking the most of the backseat floor and some of the front seat floor of my 2003 Jetta Wagon. I've cleaned out the front sunroof drains but I can't find the rear drains. I dropped the rear fender liner but they weren't anywhere in sight? Do I need to remove the bumper?

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
After spending more time on this, when I cleaned out front drains from the sunroof, I was expecting my line to come out the grommet in each door jam, but neither did. I was able to feed my line into the door grommet, but the line never fed out of the sunroof.

So instead of the rear, my problem was in the front. I then poured water on each side of the sunroof and, while water was pouring down the corner of front fender, no water came out the door grommet.

I then pulled out the door grommet on each side. Fed my line down the sunroof on each side, stuck my finger in the grommet hole and I just barely could feel the line coming out of the hose but I was able to pull the line through the hole.

So now I needed to reattach the grommet to the hose. There's no slack in the hose and I don't want to rip apart my dashboard.

This is when I cleaned each grommet, added a little grease to the hose fitting, fed the excess line through the grommet and tied a large knot at the end.

I positioned the grommet in the hole near the end of the hose, and pulled hard on the line going into the sunroof. I then presses the grommet into the hole and poured water in the sunroof track. Surprisingly, it worked! No water was running down my fender! All of it was running out the grommet in the door jam!

I repeated this on the other side, and it worked as well. Hopefully, this will eliminate my wet carpet problem and I'll no longer have to scrape the ice off of the inside of my windshield each morning!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Water is soaking the most of the backseat floor and some of the front seat floor of my 2003 Jetta Wagon. I've cleaned out the front sunroof drains but I can't find the rear drains. I dropped the rear fender liner but they weren't anywhere in sight? Do I need to remove the bumper?
I got to mine from the 2 doors inside the back.
The right side I think was easier to see the hose then the left with the amp In place.
Mine was removed so I had easy access.
There's 2 drains on the bottom of the doors that are suppose to drain water inside the doors.
If after it rains you open the door and there's water in the jam on the bottom it could be those.

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
I got to mine from the 2 doors inside the back.
The right side I think was easier to see the hose then the left with the amp In place.
Mine was removed so I had easy access.
There's 2 drains on the bottom of the doors that are suppose to drain water inside the doors.
If after it rains you open the door and there's water in the jam on the bottom it could be those.
Where do the rear drains exit the car? After repairing the front drains on Saturday, it rained Sunday and my backseat floor is was soaked.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Where do the rear drains exit the car? After repairing the front drains on Saturday, it rained Sunday and my backseat floor is was soaked.
I don't think went back that far.
Look inside the little door on the right (for the medical kit I think) and you should see the hose going down.
Never took the rear wheel well covers off to see if they were there.
I checked mine through the little side doors in the cargo area.
The Monsoon amp is in the left side and I had already yanked it out of the way. Not that easy to do.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
In the wagons you can access the left side drain via the removable cover in the rear quarter panel area (not sure if this is where the first aid kit is supposed to go in these cars). I pull the tube out of the grommet and then run it into a jar while testing that water is making its way down the tubing (hopefully it's coming out, otherwise you'll likely have a tube popped out up at the sunroof- BAD); I then run something through the grommet to ensure that it's not blocked.

I "think" that you can also access the one on the right side in a similar fashion, but I seem to recall that there's a bit more fussing there (might be that that side drained OK and I didn't bother?).