Brake dust

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Anyone else have a ridiculous amount of brake dust from the stock pads? 2012 a3 tdi. My 07 gti doesn't put out nearly as much. Considering swapping in a set of hawk hps.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
For stock pads the ones on my A3 are not terrible. I replaced the original on my 03 Golf and they dust my wheel in less than a couple of days. Those will be coming off sooner than later.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Within a couple of weeks of stop and go driving the front rims on our 2010 a3 are filthy. I regularly apply a misting of turtle wax ice which makes it easier to remove but is a pain none the less.

hogger453

TDI
2013 A3
Iv'e tried almost every Hawk compound. HPS are garbage. There is not one that I like except the most aggressive track compound. Honestly, Hawks suck, IMO.

I don't mind dust anymore. I just live with it. The brakes on the A3 are very good with great modulation.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Within a couple of weeks of stop and go driving the front rims on our 2010 a3 are filthy. I regularly apply a misting of turtle wax ice which makes it easier to remove but is a pain none the less.
What do you expect after a couple of weeks without washing your car .....

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Actually it's not my car. So to wash it and clean the rims every couple of week is fine by me. Once it becomes mine, well that's a different story.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Iv'e tried almost every Hawk compound. HPS are garbage. There is not one that I like except the most aggressive track compound. Honestly, Hawks suck, IMO.

I don't mind dust anymore. I just live with it. The brakes on the A3 are very good with great modulation.
Hawk HPS isn't that bad... it is a "Street" compound.

If I lived in the LA area, I would go with Hawk HPS (again)... but living where I live... the cold winter bite sucks for the first few stops coming down from steep hills. Once warmed up... they work fine.

hogger453

TDI
2013 A3
Hawk HPS isn't that bad... it is a "Street" compound.

If I lived in the LA area, I would go with Hawk HPS (again)... but living where I live... the cold winter bite sucks for the first few stops coming down from steep hills. Once warmed up... they work fine.
Whereas the A3 stock brakes work great all the time.

The HPS have horrible modulation.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Whereas the A3 stock brakes work great all the time.

The HPS have horrible modulation.
Yes, except for rear dusting.... the stock TRW pads do work great all the time, including autocross.

But.... once the HPS did warm up... I did like their more linear modulation.

but initial cold winter friction on the HPS do suck... the braking sensation felt like pad fade.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Good to know about hps pad bite when cold. Never heard that in all my reading and posting over on golfmkv.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Carbotech 1512's are suppose to be great for street use (no track). Low dust, rotor friendly, and low noise. I stopped using HPS and HP+ pads once I went over the Carbo AX6 for autox. I have not tried the 1512's, but when I do upgrade my pads, those are the ones I plan on going to. The dust imho is not bad compared to other setups I have run, so not a major concern for me

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
I bought a set of Akebono's advanced ProACT™ Ceramic Disc Pads and they put out very minimal dust and have much better stopping than the OE pads. I also replaced the front rotors at the same time so that helped with the "stopping power" as well. I would compare the overall dust amount to what you'd see on the rear wheels of a car with rear drum brakes.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Anyone else have a ridiculous amount of brake dust from the stock pads? 2012 a3 tdi. My 07 gti doesn't put out nearly as much. Considering swapping in a set of hawk hps.
same here - pads have life in them and function great, but make a mess in a matter of days. they almost look like a smoke finish that some pay for or DIY!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
same here - pads have life in them and function great, but make a mess in a matter of days. they almost look like a smoke finish that some pay for or DIY!
Same with both of mine. Brakes work fantastic though on both cars. Front rotors/pads seem to be oversized.:D