Rant!!

Billnla

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan Blk/Blk
Can't believe some SOB ran into the front of my 2011 Jetta this week. Creased the front license plate bracket, no big deal, was going to take it off anyway, but it also put a two inch long scratch throught the paint on the front bumper right above the bracket. No way that "person" didn't know they hit my car. Can't believe the nerve of some people. Main reason I park way away from the businesse I go to. OK rant over, still po'd though.

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
I hear ya. Some jerk cut me off at the post office. My split second choices were either let him hit me head on or do a curb check. Over the curb I went. Now on the "rock plate" area I have a nice long gash, and it shows up with my car being metallic blue. The only good thing is that you have to bend down to see it.

AirmanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Grey/Black
Can't believe some SOB ran into the front of my 2011 Jetta this week. Creased the front license plate bracket, no big deal, was going to take it off anyway, but it also put a two inch long scratch throught the paint on the front bumper right above the bracket. No way that "person" didn't know they hit my car. Can't believe the nerve of some people. Main reason I park way away from the businesse I go to. OK rant over, still po'd though.
I hear ya. Some jerk cut me off at the post office. My split second choices were either let him hit me head on or do a curb check. Over the curb I went. Now on the "rock plate" area I have a nice long gash, and it shows up with my car being metallic blue. The only good thing is that you have to bend down to see it.
I hear ya! Some numpty almost smoked me in a traffic circle..not happy!

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The kids at my university are terrible. My car has been rear-ended (dented) badly while parallel parked. Of course the offender didn't leave any contact information. It has been hit in the front and dented while parallel parked. Same deal. It has been side-swiped three times in parking lots. It has had the paint chipped on both doors due to people swinging their doors into it when getting in/out.

And their parents are just as bad. During Parents Week, one guy tried to back into a parking spot at a red light and side-swiped me, got out of his car and demanded that I back up (which I couldn't since it was a red light and there was someone right behind me), got back into his car and side-swiped me again. Then he got out of his car and said "why did you hit me". Now I know where the students get their total lack of humanity from.

I won't bring a nice car to the campus anymore unless I can get there early enough to park it in a spot with only one neighbor so I can park it as close to the curb on the other side as possible.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
For small scratches and dings try a "paintless dent repair" instead of a regular body shop. I've used them for small scratches on my bumpers and small dings, and I've been very pleased with the results. Although the places usually advertise as "paintless", they all do small scratch repairs that involve spot painting. Dealers use them all the time for the dings and scratches that get on new cars on the lot.

Prices vary, but usually about $100-$150 a panel, and you may be able to get it done through your dealer. I had a good sized dent on my driver side rear door of my JSW, and for about $150.00 it was completely removed without any trace it had ever been there.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The kids at my university are terrible. My car has been rear-ended (dented) badly while parallel parked. Of course the offender didn't leave any contact information. It has been hit in the front and dented while parallel parked. Same deal. It has been side-swiped three times in parking lots. It has had the paint chipped on both doors due to people swinging their doors into it when getting in/out.

And their parents are just as bad. During Parents Week, one guy tried to back into a parking spot at a red light and side-swiped me, got out of his car and demanded that I back up (which I couldn't since it was a red light and there was someone right behind me), got back into his car and side-swiped me again. Then he got out of his car and said "why did you hit me". Now I know where the students get their total lack of humanity from.

I won't bring a nice car to the campus anymore unless I can get there early enough to park it in a spot with only one neighbor so I can park it as close to the curb on the other side as possible.
Sounds like you need to ride a bicycle!

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Bicycle theft is a big problem on campus. The key is to ride a really junky bicycle that no one would want to steal.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Bicycle theft is a big problem on campus. The key is to ride a really junky bicycle that no one would want to steal.
Just no relief sometimes! How about motorcycle parking (moped, with cable lock)?

Klystron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
The kids at my university are terrible. My car has been rear-ended (dented) badly while parallel parked. Of course the offender didn't leave any contact information. It has been hit in the front and dented while parallel parked. Same deal. It has been side-swiped three times in parking lots. It has had the paint chipped on both doors due to people swinging their doors into it when getting in/out..
Heck you think that's bad one of the adjuncts at my university came out to find his whole door caved in and no note on his car but he did notice a streak of bluish paint. The next day he looked around the lot and found the same color Toyota with a scratch on its bumper and some of his paint from his car still on the bumper. He called the campus police and it turns out the Toyota is owned by one of the big wigs at the university who then claimed he had no idea he hit anything but wasn't going to dispute it "out of good will" LOL. He caved in the WHOLE door yet claims he didn't notice because he had his IPOD on WHILE DRIVING.

I used to think with having a staff parking permit (because I have two pins in my spine) that my car was safe till I saw that.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Heck you think that's bad one of the adjuncts at my university came out to find his whole door caved in and no note on his car but he did notice a streak of bluish paint. The next day he looked around the lot and found the same color Toyota with a scratch on its bumper and some of his paint from his car still on the bumper. He called the campus police and it turns out the Toyota is owned by one of the big wigs at the university who then claimed he had no idea he hit anything but wasn't going to dispute it "out of good will" LOL. He caved in the WHOLE door yet claims he didn't notice because he had his IPOD on WHILE DRIVING.

I used to think with having a staff parking permit (because I have two pins in my spine) that my car was safe till I saw that.
Should have just keyed his car.