Remote keyless entry

aketay

Veteran Member
Has anyone had this problem? One of my remote keys died, other key worked for a while. Had to wait for two weeks to get it in the shop as it is still under warranty. They hook up the 1551 right in front of me to try and reprogram the remotes. ECU won't respond and I'm told to reschedule appointment for a full day since it wasn't the fifteen minute fix. Car went into shop yesterday and is still there today. Service Manager informs my wife that the computer must rest for 24 hours after the test before they replace ECU which is on order.Any thoughts on this one???

------------------
99.5 Jetta
Silver Arrow

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
You have a 99.5? Does that have the chip in the key, the demobilizer? I thought only the 2000's had them. I don't think you need the vw tool to reprogram the remotes. I think you only need it if you have the demobilizer chips.

Maybe they were doing a procedure for a 00 instead of a 99 by mistake.

What's with that 24 hour rest period? I don't suppose that if the battery is left unconnected for 24 hours all memory (of dtc's) are erased?

------------------
Yellow 2000 Beetle

BUG*PWR

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
A4 FAQ: Keyless Entry (repogramming remote)

To program the remote:
Take one key and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON.
Close and lock the driver's door with the second key (while the ignition remains on).
Take the first remote and press the "UNLOCK" button ONCE only - alarm will 'beep'
but door will remain locked.
With the key, unlock and lock the door again.
Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
Open the door and turn ignition off and back on again using the first key.
Continue the procedure for the second remote - close & lock the door with the second
key (leaving the ignition on).
Take the second remote and press the "UNLOCK" button TWICE - alarm will 'beep'
each time button is pressed but door will remain locked.
With the key, unlock and lock the door again.
Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
Remove both keys, close the door and perform a final retest by locking and unlocking
the car with both remotes

------------------
It ain’t the horsepower it’s the Torque !

..........|
........-^-
....-/_____\-
...(O\__o__/O)
...[#]oxxxo[#]

aketay

Veteran Member
New info, computer has been replaced and problem is still there. The dealer wants to keep my car to check all of the wire harnesses and connections. The reason computer had to "rest" is because they couldn't clear DTC manually. It may be a one off problem but I'm looking for a new car. I should have learned by now not to buy a first model year car and wait for the new and improved version. Looking for MY2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Silver Arrow....